Thoughts on BP-26 Preamp

AllanS

Thoughts on BP-26 Preamp
« on: 11 Feb 2024, 06:53 pm »
I’ve always admired Bryston products but rarely come across something in my budget.  TMR has a used BP-26 that caught my eye.   Any thoughts or opinions regarding the BP-26 as a modest system reference preamp would be greatly appreciated. 

I’m looking for a neutral to warm balanced preamp that would pair reasonably well with a variety of modest streamers, DACs and power amps.  What’s most important is that it not be limiting factor in sound stage reproduction (depth, width, separation).

Today I have a BlueSound Vault, Schiit Bifrost DAC and Schiit Aegir and NuPrime AMG STA power amps.  Denafrips Ares, Benchmark DAC 3, Lumin U2 mini, Auralic Aries, 2.5B^3, Benchmark AHB, etc comparables are the kinds of components I can see in my future.

Thank you.

alanford69

Re: Thoughts on BP-26 Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2024, 11:16 am »
Hi @AllanS, in my opinion the BP-26 + MPS2 is a fantastic preamplifier, probably one of the best that Bryston ever did. If you like a lively and punchy presentation it's the way to go. The newer models (I have BR-20) are much more laid back, probably more "audiophile" but less fun I would say.

I regret having traded mine in and I still think that BP-26 + BDA-3 makes the perfect combination given that you already have an excellent streamer. Never heard the Denafrips but it has a good reputation as well.

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2024, 01:56 pm »
Sorry I got rid of mine- it replaced a Dehavilland Ultraverve 3 and it was every bit as warm, detailed and easy to listen to- utterly non fatiguing. Bullet proof operation- super quiet, switches and volume control were silent in operation.
I only sold it in a bid to downsize my system, but it’s as good as anything I’ve had.

clpetersen

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2024, 05:45 pm »
Agree. It is a great pre-amp - used to have one, moved to the BP-17 cubed with on-board phono. The newer version (BP-17) is a bit quieter and has better measured distortion, but both are very quiet and low distortion and not an audible issue. I do like how Bryston managed the volume control on the BP-17 (superb fine-adjustment at low volume levels) but that is  far away from a deal-breaker.

The BP-26 is an analog classic.

GSDaudio

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2024, 06:01 pm »
Bought my BP-26/MPS2 in 2007.   Never was fatigued listening to it. So accurate and smooth.  Love it!!!  Sadly, eventually the capacitors will age to the point I need a new pre-amp.   I think I will be hard-of-hearing by then.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2024, 12:38 pm »
I have a set in black, and it was my only consideration for a preamp. However, since my only sources are now digital, I don’t need it! It is now available on CAM, just returned from a factory checkup!
“A straight wire with gain” comes to mind when describing the lack of sound signature.
You can’t go wrong with this one!
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2024, 03:46 pm by Highendfool »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2024, 02:51 pm »

…bought a 26 back in 2006. Still works great without any problems. Sound is unique. Bryston quality at its best :thumb:

al.

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2024, 07:17 pm »
Thanks all.  I appreciate your comments.  My system is a bit unsettled right now but I’ll keep this on the list of things to look for.