Some bad news

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Some bad news
« on: 15 Jan 2024, 08:14 pm »
Hi Folks - the other day there was bad news - Jim Winey - the owner and inventor of the Magnepan speakers has passed.

He was a true pioneer in this business.

Over the years I think I have owned everyone of his creations.

I will miss him.

james

Twiga

Re: Some bad news
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2024, 09:19 pm »
Agreed! It’s not very often that a true innovator comes on the scene in this (or any other industry!), and he was certainly that.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2024, 02:14 pm »
Well, I haven't been through all of the Maggie models (only four), but the first time I heard them around 25 years ago I was hooked and haven't looked back.

RIP Jim!

ec

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2024, 05:42 pm »
I used to subscribe to Stereophile  in the 90's and early 2000's.  I recall a survey they did with their readers on the equipment they owned and Maggie's were the speaker brand most owned (by a wide margin) by the respondents.  That's a legacy.

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2024, 06:12 pm »
Sad, but thanks for all your contribution Jim!

RIP

gbaby

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2024, 07:05 pm »
I am just seeing this post. I am sorry about the loss of Mr. Winey. I remember the first Magnepan speakers he sold at Vickers Electronics in Durham, NC during the '70s. I think Carver tried to copy this speaker in the '80s and '90s.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2024, 02:54 pm by gbaby »

djco

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2024, 09:25 pm »
I'm really sorry he was a great man and high quality products

Dan H

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2024, 05:54 pm »
My first introduction to Magnepan's was probably 15 years ago at a high end dealer here in Northern Virginia. I fell in love with them, and I would have a pair if I had the space for them.

Ironically, my first introduction to Bryston was the same day at the same dealer - they were using a big honkin' Bryston amp, might have been two, to drive the Magnepans., and ever since I've not been able to get Magnepan or Bryston out of my mind.

Still no room for the Magnepans, but fortunately plenty of room for my new-to-me 2.5B/3 and BR-20.