gas grills

harley1952

gas grills
« on: 10 Nov 2021, 04:01 am »
Looking for any input for a Weber or a Napoleon gas grill. Both models are under $600. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Big Red Machine

Re: gas grills
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2021, 01:08 pm »
Had a cast Coleman grill for 20 years and after too many replacements of items in its advanced age went for a new grill. Bought a Napolean from BBQ Guys about 3 or 4 years ago. It is all stainless but not quite the quality (and cost) of a Blaze. My B-in-law has one and it is VERY solidly built. Maybe next time.

Anyways, the Napolean has only recently needed the burners adjusted but otherwise has been a rock. I particularly like the infrared section for searing steaks. Absolutely fantastic feature. Well built, the stainless cleans up nice and the grills are rugged as heck.

My take is Weber is consistent but not necessarily "better" and maybe not as price competitive for the quality. But my grill was around $1500 IIRC. More like a 665 or 625 in size but w/o the bottle opener :cry:.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2021, 01:17 pm »
I have a Weber Genesis Special Edition grill (3 burner). Its now around $900, but will last at least 10-15 years. Internal burner elements have 10 year warranty. No problem getting replacement parts. This is my second one, first one lasted 17 years.

Don't buy a cheap grill, you'll be throwing your money away.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2021, 02:15 pm »
As my wife will tell you, my vice is buying Weber bbq’s off Craigslist. I usually have 3-5 at any one time (smoker, gas and charcoal).  Why Weber? They work great, they’re are made very well, they last for a long time, parts are readily available, and their customer service is second to none. They are what I compare all others to and none compares in my book.

If you don’t mind buying used, search Craigslist and wait for the right one to come along. Off the top of my head I’m going to say that on Craigslist 25% of listings are overpriced, 25% are an okay deal, 25% are used and abused, and then 25% are downright steals (which is my market).  Most will require a good high heat burn to clean the insides and a good wipe down on the outside but then you’re good to go. I tear each down completely when I get them home.

The most I’ve paid is $200.00 for my current nearly new looking Genesis Special edition four burner (sear station) with side burner. The seller included a lot of other things in the sale so I went that high. Just my thing but I don’t negotiate, it’s either a good deal or not and if it’s not I don’t bother calling.

If you’re going to buy new I’d avoid the Weber Spirit line but that’s just me. 

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:23 pm »
Weber all the way.  My previous one lasted over 25 years, 10 and going strong on my current one.

Keep in mind that you will need to replace the "flavorizer bars" at least once if you plan on keeping the grill for decades.  If you're looking at buying a used grill, make sure to inspect those bars carefully to be sure you won't have to replace them right away (they are a bit costly). Other than that - maybe a burner or ignitor here or there - same as with any other brand. Both are very easy to replace.

dpatters

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:37 pm »
Love my Weber Genesis II. I also have a Weber Rocky Mountain Smoker.

Don P.

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:50 pm »
I have a Weber Genesis Special Edition grill (3 burner). Its now around $900, but will last at least 10-15 years. Internal burner elements have 10 year warranty. No problem getting replacement parts. This is my second one, first one lasted 17 years.

Don't buy a cheap grill, you'll be throwing your money away.

Agreed with Wayner, I just replaced my 17 year old Weber Genesis this summer with a new GenII. For the $$ spent it's pretty tough to beat Weber

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:50 pm »
Going on 16 years with my Napoleon. 

A natural gas PT450II.  Yes the self igniter has cacked, and the temp guage stopped working a few years back, and I never use the rear burner - but this thing is amazing.  I am so used to how it works, and can make anything I want to any level of doneness.

Won't buy anything else.

harley1952

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2021, 11:11 pm »
Went to Lowe’s today to look at grills. Looking around and saw a Weber Genesis ii e315 on sale for more than  half price. Retail $829 for $401. My eyes got big and I’m thinking someone has screwed with that price. That can’t be right, no way. Found someone who was very familiar with the Weber’s. He said it because of the end of the season. Cool. ThenI realized the grill was just too big. Oh well.

He says he has this Spirit s315 on sale that hasn’t been marked down on the tag yet . Looked at it for about two seconds and said I’ll take one. Asked can I get it assembled? Sure we got them already assembled no charge.
I’ll pick it up around 11/20. Too much going on right now. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Any one looking for a grill may find some at your local Lowe’s.

harley1952

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2021, 11:17 pm »
The Spirit e315 retail $649 sale price $324.47. Sorry I didn’t get that in on my previous post.