USB-C to RJ45 Adapter

Don_S

USB-C to RJ45 Adapter
« on: 31 Oct 2022, 08:08 pm »
I am looking for a 14" laptop to use as a remote control (VNC) to my music server. All music is on the server so the laptop is merely a remote. The 11.6" laptop I have been using kept losing the VNC connection to the music server via WiFi. I installed two Ethernet lines to the room and the laptop works great now. :)

I am going to take the 11.6 to replace my ancient iPad. I am having problems finding small laptops (or any) with RJ45 ports. I found one with a Pentium chip, not much RAM, and not much storage.

The 14" HP I found with an RJ45 has 4GB SDRAM and 64GB eMMC storage. CPU is Pentium Silver N5000. It should work for my needs but I would prefer to upgrade to an Intel i3 with more RAM and storage.

I know the specs are not what many prefer but this is almost a single purpose laptop. I will add Thunderbird and a few forums to browse while I listen to music. My desktop is my main squeeze.

Is a USB-C to RJ45 adapter a good way to go to expand my options? Results from Amazon users is discouraging.

Mike-48

Re: USB-C to RJ45 Adapter
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2022, 09:42 pm »
A year ago, after reading a comparative review, I bought this one from Amazon. The USB-A version has been in daily use with my desktop, where it sped up network access by replacing the PC's 11-yr-old network card (which is nominally the same speed). The new Ethernet adapter has been entirely reliable. You might try the USB-C version listed on the same page.

The USB-C version is listed as "Ethernet."

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2022, 10:23 pm »
Mike,

Thanks. That makes 2 adapters I know of with good reviews. That opens my options for a new laptop. I am waiting for Black Friday make a final decision.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2022, 01:08 am »
I don't suppose it would make any sense to fix your WIFI issues.

USB ethernet adapters work great.

RJ45 jacks on laptops are much more prevalent on business laptops. Here's an inexpensive one from HP.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Business-Micro-Edge-Display-Graphics/dp/B0BCT27BG4