What is your everyday coffee, and what is your special

mick wolfe

Re: What is your everyday coffee, and what is your special
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2021, 04:44 pm »
Green beans sourced from Sweet Maria's. Either Ethiopian Dry Process for espresso or their French Roast Blend for the Aeropress. Roaster is a Kaldi stovetop.

Marbles

« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2021, 02:35 pm »
Bought some Boyers Mash-up from Sams Club yesterday.  Ground enough for 2 pots this morning, one pot for today, another for tomorrow.
Used my old krupps blade and ground too fine for my drip Technivorm.
Coffee was smooth, but I'm not crazy about the taste and won't be buying again.

I also bought Members Mark Colombian Supremo and it smells awesome.  Can't wait to try it, but will wait until my new burr grinder arrives so I have more control of the grind.

Will post after trying the Supremo.

sarora9

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2021, 03:44 pm »
Parlor Coffee  for my cappucino. Usually their Prospect Blend, less often Wallabout. Occasionally  try their seasonal blends for variety.

They have subscriptions too

guf

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2021, 10:42 pm »
I love coffee talk. I'm doing 4-5 coffee drinks per day. My first 2 are americanos. 98% of the time blue bottle 17 ft celling before I leave the house. My next is often out and about and usually something I won't make at home. Anything oatmilk based. Then my afternoon coffee nap is fueled by some kind of pour over. Again bluebottle blend or single origin. I sometimes like the fruitier beans after my day long standard coffee drinking.

Woodsea

« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2021, 09:39 am »
Mayorga finely ground organic Mocha Java or Nicaragua Rio Coco using a DeLonghi espresso maker.  The Rio Coco just by itself with the beautiful crema is sublime.  Although, I treat myself with grass-fed milk and a spoonful of Costco Starbucks Cocoa powder, frothed up to a hot and tasty Mocha. 
I offer you history of the coffee bean's rise to omnipotence over the Homo Sapiens on the planet- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52300107-caffeine?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=Rz8FedGDg6&rank=1

enginerd

« Reply #25 on: 28 Mar 2021, 03:04 pm »
I also purchase green beans from Sweet Marias and roast at home with a Gene Cafe.  Probably been doing this almost 10 years.  Mostly prefer beans from Africa.  Will occasionally do Guatemalan Gesha if it's available.

guf

« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2021, 04:10 pm »

I offer you history of the coffee bean's rise to omnipotence over the Homo Sapiens on the planet- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52300107-caffeine?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=Rz8FedGDg6&rank=1

Rad! its included in my subscription. Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna listen now.

sarora9

« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2021, 05:58 pm »
OT, but  book for coffee lovers who also like B+W photography.

Salgado is an amazing photographer and man. Check out a documentary on him on Amazon prime. (Or various free ones on youtube .)

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2021, 06:28 pm »
Reading about all the good coffee reminds me how much I love a good Sunday morning cup with a good record spin. Daily drinker at work is usually a central or South American (usually Guatemala or Brazil) medium roast of some sort. One of my friends/customer happens to also deliver beans from a roaster as a side gig and every once in a while will drop off a warm bag of fresh roasted beans on my desk. He only drinks a good dark roast. One of my favorites he brings is from DRC (Congo) and is a robusta bean. While usually a hard bean to get right, they have perfected the roast to make it so smooth and rich flavor. Those are usually brought home and enjoyed as a weekend treat.

SET Man

« Reply #29 on: 29 Mar 2021, 01:09 am »
Hey!

I tend to gravitate toward Sumatra most of the time. But I do sometime get other coffee or even blends at my usual store.

This is my favorite place to get my coffees and teas here in NYC.

https://mcnultys.com/

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 29 Mar 2021, 01:16 am »
Mix Serrado Mineiro 60% + Chapada Diamantina 40%.

Marbles

« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2021, 10:47 pm »
I received the grinder Monday and have been experimenting with it since.
The medium grinds are very fine compared with pre ground beans.  Is this normal?  I have to go to the course settings to get anywhere close to the store bought pre-ground. 

Thanks for your help and experience with grinding your own beans.

Should I use the finer ground medium grinds and reduce the amount of beans I use?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2021, 10:51 pm »
The finer grind extracts more flavor, IME.  I'd start with the medium setting and experiment from there if you like a finer or coarser grind than that.  Also different beans do better or worse with different grinds.  As always, try try try :)

Doublej

« Reply #33 on: 31 Mar 2021, 11:19 pm »
Optimal grind size is typically determined by brew method being used but one can do whatever they want. There are tons of resources on the web to learn about coffee. James Hofmann's YouTube channel generally works well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb0O2CdPBNi-QqPk5T3gsQ

Marbles

« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2021, 01:25 am »
Thanks guys, that try, try, try is probably best'

That James Hoffman channel is very interesting, with a lot of great info.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #35 on: 1 Apr 2021, 04:59 am »
Should I use the finer ground medium grinds and reduce the amount of beans I use?
The finer the grind the better, the more flavor and oil will be extracted and less grains will be needed.  :wink:

clockworkwarrior

« Reply #36 on: 12 Apr 2021, 06:19 pm »
Big Shoulders: https://www.bigshoulderscoffee.com

My daily and go to lol. Best coffee around, and ethical to boot.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 13 Apr 2021, 11:56 am »
Yesterday I went to the macrobio coffee shop to get the big coffee beans and unfortunately was informed that these jumbo beans I liked bought disappeared due to massive export to a rebrand company from Jamaica, bad news.

Ern Dog

« Reply #38 on: 13 Apr 2021, 02:34 pm »
I’ve really been enjoying this thread. I rarely drink coffee and every time I make it, it tastes like shit because I don’t have good equipment, or brewing methods, or and my coffee storing methods were bunk. So I’ve been learning how to make a good cuppa coffee. I bought a kitchen scale,  burr grinder, and an AeroPress. Wow what a nice upgrade this has been. I’m still getting my method dialed in but it is so much easier with an AeroPress.  I’ve also been watching James Hoffman videos. He is fabulous!
Thanks for all your guys help with upping my coffee game. Much appreciated. 

twitch54

« Reply #39 on: 13 Apr 2021, 02:39 pm »
Coffee bean direct.com  ( Manhandling Sumatra)