Bryston BIT question for James and others...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BIT question for James and others...
« Reply #40 on: 6 Feb 2024, 02:48 am »
Hi Vin

No issues with the older units vs new units.
Using a 20 amp with a 15 amp service works great so just get a 15 amp to 20 amp power cord and you're good to go.

james

VinBob

« Reply #41 on: 6 Feb 2024, 03:52 am »
Thanks for the quick response James and some additional questions if you don’t mind…

So just to confirm, is there no advantage getting a dedicated 20amp circuit down the road? I would have thought there would be as my understanding is that the design is based on ideally using a 20 amp circuit.

Although there is no fuse on the back of my unit, does the older unit still have the same protection without? How does that work?

Also, although my unit is no longer under warranty, does Bryston still offer servicing if needed down the road?

Thanks in advance…

Cheers,
Vin.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 6 Feb 2024, 12:54 pm »
Hi Vin

The fuse is just a CSA requirement in some countries.
The 20 amp unit just has a much larger isolation transformer but other than that operates exactly the same as the 15 amp.
We have never had to service a unit so far but no reason why we would not.

james

VinBob

« Reply #43 on: 7 Feb 2024, 03:23 am »
Truly appreciate the education James.

I am still just a little hazy on whether I should have an electrician run a dedicated 20amp circuit for the Bit20. Would there be any sonic improvements doing so given my components mentioned earlier, or is it purely to have more wattage capacity if I was to add more power hungry devices say, a second 4b3 power amplifier? I would also assume a sign would be if the unit was to shut off during usage, that I may be drawing too much for the current 15amp circuit and would need to go to 20amps - would this be an accurate assumption?

Thanks again for you time on this…

Cheers,
Vin.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 7 Feb 2024, 11:23 am »
Hi Vin

A dedicated line is always a good idea for either a 15 or a 20 amp unit.
I use a 20 amp dedicated line but given a normal component count a 15 amp line will normally be more than capable of handling most systems.

james

VinBob

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2024, 04:03 am »
Hi James and thanks again.

Can you please expand on what you mean by ‘normal component count’ just so that I am on the same page.

All the best,
Vincenzo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 8 Feb 2024, 11:37 am »
Unless you exceed the 15 amps.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #47 on: 8 Feb 2024, 04:52 pm »
Years ago I maxed out a 15a torus which I was auditioning.
I had 5x7bssts and two DD-15 subs connected.
Was using Shunyatas at the time.
Both sounded like the gear was plugged into the wall.
Until,I auditioned a 20 with the 15a together and I’ll say it was a Holy crap moment.
The sound stage was huge compared to before and effortless.
As James mentioned if you go over the 15a or 20a draw then you won’t hear any benefit.
I know for sure I was over the limit with all those amps ect.
Have since upgrade to 2 x 240v Torus,20a and 60a of course on dedicated lines240v.
Have 28s now and some bigger subs now.
Don’t want to restrict the amps from starving now do we.
Have had the Torus(s) since mid 2006 I believe and the have been flawless.
And yes you will hear a huge difference if your power draw doesn’t exceed the Torus/BIT.
I believe James years ago mentioned you add up the maximum power your amps will draw and dived buy 1/3 and that should let tou know what unit you would need.
I would check with James on that formula to be sure.
The Yorus are the only units I have never sold off as they are that good.

VinBob

« Reply #48 on: 10 Feb 2024, 04:32 pm »
Unless you exceed the 15 amps.

james

Much appreciated James. Unfortunately, my BIT20 arrived only with the 20amp power cord and not able to use just yet. Would it be better to get an actual power cord that has the 20amp on one side and 15amp blades on the other, or OK to use the 20amp power cord and simply use a device like this to enable plugging into the standard 15amp circuit?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Listed-5-15P-Household-T-Blade/dp/B07QWWQX8G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1A1M7KXRJ8EI0&dd=BKurx7WyOSs1AbOYGs-GSw%2C%2C&keywords=20%2Bamp%2Bto%2B15%2Bamp%2Bplug%2Badapter&qid=1707582221&refinements=p_90%3A8308921011&rnid=8308919011&sprefix=20%2Bamp%2Bto%2B1%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-1&th=1

Cheers,
Vin.

VinBob

« Reply #49 on: 10 Feb 2024, 04:43 pm »
Years ago I maxed out a 15a torus which I was auditioning.
I had 5x7bssts and two DD-15 subs connected.
Was using Shunyatas at the time.
Both sounded like the gear was plugged into the wall.
Until,I auditioned a 20 with the 15a together and I’ll say it was a Holy crap moment.
The sound stage was huge compared to before and effortless.
As James mentioned if you go over the 15a or 20a draw then you won’t hear any benefit.
I know for sure I was over the limit with all those amps ect.
Have since upgrade to 2 x 240v Torus,20a and 60a of course on dedicated lines240v.
Have 28s now and some bigger subs now.
Don’t want to restrict the amps from starving now do we.
Have had the Torus(s) since mid 2006 I believe and the have been flawless.
And yes you will hear a huge difference if your power draw doesn’t exceed the Torus/BIT.
I believe James years ago mentioned you add up the maximum power your amps will draw and dived buy 1/3 and that should let tou know what unit you would need.
I would check with James on that formula to be sure.
The Yorus are the only units I have never sold off as they are that good.

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

I have spoken with a couple of people (one from Bryston and Torus) whom both have essentially suggested I should be OK running the BIT20 on a 15amp circuit just to get me going, although a dedicated 20amp circuit line would ideal, which I am going to look into later in the year when I have some spare funds.

I am using the following equipment which should keep me below the 15amp total requirements as I have been advised, and I don't typically have everything running at the same time; Bryston 4b3 amp, Bryston BP-26, Bryston MPS-2, Naim CD player, Lumin Streamer, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Cyrus Phono and Cyrus PSX-R2 PSU. I guess I'll find out once I eventually get plugged in and keeping my fingers crossed!  :wink:

Cheers,
Vin.

VinBob

« Reply #50 on: 12 Feb 2024, 10:40 pm »
Much appreciated James. Unfortunately, my BIT20 arrived only with the 20amp power cord and not able to use just yet. Would it be better to get an actual power cord that has the 20amp on one side and 15amp blades on the other, or OK to use the 20amp power cord and simply use a device like this to enable plugging into the standard 15amp circuit?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Listed-5-15P-Household-T-Blade/dp/B07QWWQX8G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1A1M7KXRJ8EI0&dd=BKurx7WyOSs1AbOYGs-GSw%2C%2C&keywords=20%2Bamp%2Bto%2B15%2Bamp%2Bplug%2Badapter&qid=1707582221&refinements=p_90%3A8308921011&rnid=8308919011&sprefix=20%2Bamp%2Bto%2B1%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-1&th=1

Cheers,
Vin.

Hi James,

Just wanted to ask if you had any thoughts/recommendations on this. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vin.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 12 Feb 2024, 11:56 pm »
Hi Vin - that would work.

james

VinBob

« Reply #52 on: 13 Feb 2024, 12:05 am »
Hi James and thanks for getting back to me.  :D

Sorry just to clarify, go with the 15amp to 20amp female end power cord or use the adapter (amazon link provided) to use the thicker 20amp cable that came with my BIT20?

Cheers,
Vin.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 13 Feb 2024, 01:20 pm »
Correct as long as local laws permit.

james