Modifications For the TBI Millenia Amp

OzarkTom

Re: Modifications For the TBI Millenia Amp
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:31 am »
Jason, my first time seeing the company was on the TNT audio review. I read about the three amp shootout here. I had a Dayens Ampino and was amazed, but this review preferred the TBI.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_mini_amps_e.html

I bought one and was amazed, so I loaned it to my buddy Rex and he was amazed also. Rex is my friend that modded the amp with Cardas mods. As each step improved the amp, we now wonder how far this little amp can go. TBI is most famous for their subs, but they should become real famous for this little amp. I hope they sell as many as Musical Fiselity did on the A1 back in the 80's-90's. The A1 still sells for as much or more than they did on Ebay today.

Rex and I enjoyed our find very much, I wanted to share this with others here on AC. I was hesitant until the Positive Feedback came out. John Hoffman believes it is one of the best buys of the day.

TBI is based out of Georgia and run by Jan Plummer. Jan and his team even improved the amp while the tour was going on. Who knows, maybe the tour was the cause for the improvement? TBI deserves a lot of kudos on developing such a fine value.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:36 am »
Ah cool.   :thumb:  So is the amps topology developed from their subs? 

Sure would be cool if Jan joined AC.   :)

srb

« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:48 am »
So is the amps topology developed from their subs?

Don't know what other technologies they might share, but the amplifier class of both the Magellan VIP su powered subwoofer and the external 200 su subwoofer amplifier is Class A/B compared to the Class D Millenia amplifier.

Steve

OzarkTom

« Reply #23 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:53 am »
Ah cool.   :thumb:  So is the amps topology developed from their subs? 

Sure would be cool if Jan joined AC.   :)

I know nothing about the subs, but their goal was to build the very finest low wattage amp that  they could build, The Millenia MG3 is the final result. It would be nice now for them to build a more powerful version. The topology is Class BD, not just a pure Class D. But you will probably have to read the Positive Feedback review to understand what that is.

I know nothinnnn! :scratch:

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 5 Nov 2012, 12:58 am »
From the Positive Feedback review on Class BD:

"The Millenia amplifier uses an unusual output stage configuration that is essentially a Class BD arrangement, which is different than the more widely used Class D topology. The output of the amplifier is generated differentially between the + and – speaker terminals, and is capable of extremely fast response times. The Class BD circuit used by TBI has quicker transition times, and therefore has fewer switching errors to deal with. Which means that only a minimal degree of filtration and correction needs to be applied to the output of the amplifier, and has negligible effects on sound quality."

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm

srb

« Reply #25 on: 5 Nov 2012, 01:09 am »
IThe topology is Class BD, not just a pure Class D. But you will probably have to read the Positive Feedback review to understand what that is.

Interestingly, on the TBI website's Millenia page they mention Class D no fewer than 20 times with no mention of Class BD.  They do say that their Class D is better and more advanced than other Class D amplifiers, but if they have designed a "new" class (BD), I think I would probably mention it to further differentiate this particular amplifier.

I also think that if they are on to something here, it might pave the way to a "Millenia +" version, ready to go off the shelf with upgraded connectors, capacitors, volume control and enclosure (and maybe even multiple inputs).

Steve

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 5 Nov 2012, 01:25 am »

Interestingly, on the TBI website's Millenia page they mention Class D no fewer than 20 times with no mention of Class BD.  They do say that their Class D is better and more advanced than other Class D amplifiers, but if they have designed a "new" class (BD), I think I would probably mention it to further differentiate this particular amplifier.

I also think that if they are on to something here, it might pave the way to a "Millenia +" version, ready to go off the shelf with upgraded connectors, capacitors, volume control and enclosure (and maybe even multiple inputs).

Steve

I hope so. Also be at least 75-100 wpc.

rikhav

« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:09 pm »
Hi Rob, TBI welcomes DIY'ers to mod their amp. If you can bring up any improvements, feel free to post them here.

One easy mod I did was just to replace the stock cord with a $25 Pangea AC-14 power cord from the Audio Advisor. That opened the sound up even more.

Hi Tom
Can i get some bulk cable which can be used for power cords to power the amp from battery ?
I have to use  very thin gauge cable as the pin which goes into amp AC power cannot take thick conducter

kp93300

i build a regulated power supply with Lm 338 with this circuit

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/
 This is under the section   ---using 3 pin regulator part 4

I use zener to set the output at 23 V dc.

At the output of the regulator there is a snubber of 0.47R +47 UF . This value  is based on regulated power supply for gainclones.

The transformer is 22V ac --about 300W

The result is very favourable  and i prefers it over the smps laptop power supply at 20 V dc .

I am using the evaluation board with the same chip

kp93300

Freo-1

i build a regulated power supply with Lm 338 with this circuit

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/
 This is under the section   ---using 3 pin regulator part 4

I use zener to set the output at 23 V dc.

At the output of the regulator there is a snubber of 0.47R +47 UF . This value  is based on regulated power supply for gainclones.

The transformer is 22V ac --about 300W

The result is very favourable  and i prefers it over the smps laptop power supply at 20 V dc .

kp93300

Excellent.  Do you have the power supply mod from TBI?

kp93300

« Reply #30 on: 19 Nov 2012, 02:36 am »
Hi Freo-1 ,

I want to add that i am using the evaluation board with the same chip .
I am excited as i am  hearing quite  a lot of new details esp with the nice decay of instruments when compared to the smps . I want to share my enthusiasm

Please delete the post if you think it is not relevant in this thread.
  thanks

kp93300

Pchelac

« Reply #31 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm »
Hi KP93300. What is the rest of your sistem, do you use some preamp (or buffer),  speakers?Thanks.

kp93300

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2012, 01:08 am »
Hi Pchelac
The rest of my system are dac---Buffalo 2 or discrete monica from diyparadise.
Speakers ---V2 from GR Research: 91 db/w ,powered subwoofer open baffle
Transistor Buffer ----diy diamond buffer from http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/205522-rjm-audio-b-board-project.html
Lightspeed passive volume control before the buffer
I used a ATOM based fanless pc running on Linux .
thanks

kp93300

Pchelac

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2012, 07:02 am »
Tnx , :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:39 pm »
Hi
i had been following the previous thread and decided to just purchase a Millenia from Jan. I received the latest version last week and am very impressed. I am using Omega super alnico 6s and the amp sounds great. My question is since i am not mechanically inclined i am afraid to change speaker pinding posts , rca's...etc.   I at least want to try a battery supply. Can someone point me in the right direction as to which one to purchase and how to connect it ? i dont want to blow up the amp. Its a keeper.  BTW..speakers are 93 db  8 ohm.    thx.

FWIW, several of us prefer the upgraded AC power supply (that now comes stock with the latest MG3) over battery (in my case 2 x 12v 5 amp).  Many prefer one 12v x 5 amp, but power is reduced to 18 watts or so.  A lot of it depends on your system synergy, listening preferences,  good or inferior local power grid, etc..

IMO, the latest MKII upgrade is by far the best upgrade for the MG3.  If you purchased an MG3 recently, not sure if it comes stock or not.  Cost is $50 + round trip shipping & it is a true bargain mod.

Other upgrades include Cardas (or other higher end)  RCA’s & speaker binding posts,  AMR sloblo 3.15 amp fuse, gel pad feet.   

Drop a private message to OzarkTom or contact TBI directly to verify mods & related costs:  sales@tbisound.com .

If you are set on going the battery route:  2-12v x 5 amp SLA batteries in series will do the trick w/ a 24v x 2 amp trickle smart charger.  It is important that you disconnect the charger before turning on the MG3 or you will blow the fuse.  Connect & charge the batteries when MG3 is turned off.  If you go w/ a single 12v battery then you can keep a 12v smart charger connected & on all the time without blowing the fuse.

If you prefer not to make all the wiring connections yourself, Virtue Audio used to offer a Gary Dodd battery kit like this, you might could check w/ them (or Dodd Audio) to see if they have any remaining:

sugbob21

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2013, 05:07 pm »
so since i have the latest version ( received it early last week) i am going to leave well enough alone and enjoy it as is right now.  once again,,,excuse my dumb question ....can you use a preamp with this amp ? would you set the volume control to max ?

brother love

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2013, 05:24 pm »
so since i have the latest version ( received it early last week) i am going to leave well enough alone and enjoy it as is right now.  once again,,,excuse my dumb question ....can you use a preamp with this amp ? would you set the volume control to max ?

Again, I would check w/ Jan @ TBI to verify what comes free w/ latest MG3 version & what upgrades cost extra.  OzarkTom is a great source for upgrade recommendations & where to get mods done if you prefer someone else to do it for you.

Heck yes you can use a preamp w/ the MG3.  I currently use a tube preamp/DAC w/ the MG3.  I would experiment with the volume controls & see what sounds best in your set-up.  In my set-up, I have the preamp volume at 1 o'clock & the MG3 at 11- 1 o'clock depending on how loud I am listening.

sugbob21

« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2013, 09:49 pm »
Hi brother love.......I hooked up a Decware Z stage and a switch box, using the Z stage as a preamp and running my cap phono stage and Mac mini thru the switch box into the Z stage and into the Millenia. Sounds great...the best I have heard the system yet. I am going to check with Jan just to make sure I have the latest version but I think I do. Thanks again for your help.  In the bang qfo your buck department this amp is a slam dunk.

brother love

« Reply #38 on: 12 Apr 2013, 04:01 pm »
Great to hear sugbob21.   8)

If you do talk to TBI re: latest MG3 stock & what additional upgrades are available, it would be great if you share that info here.

And be sure to post your MG3 impressions in your set-up in the other MG3 MKII listening tour thread. It's great to know everyone's experience w/ the Millenia MG3.

OzarkTom

« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:00 pm »
Jan is using a tube preamp with his setup.