RMAF - Moscode / Joseph Audio

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
RMAF - Moscode / Joseph Audio
« on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:30 am »
Just out of curiosity was anyone able to hear this room?  I have heard from a few people prior to the show they were quite impressed with the Moscode, and was curious as to hear how the room sounded at the show.  Thanks in advance.

PaulFolbrecht

Re: RMAF - Moscode / Joseph Audio
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:49 am »
I would call it decent, not outstanding.

I used to own Joseph Audio RM25 speakers and either they're much better than the ones on display or the room and/or electronics were lacking there.

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:24 am »
I suspect the bright sound comes from either the Joseph Audio speakers and the room. I don't believe Moscode is a bright amp. If it is, Tvad4 & Zybar wouldn't have kept them.

Regardless of what you heard at the RMAF, the only way to know the truth is to audition it in your system. Moscode has 33 1/2 day trial, they ship the amp to you, if you don't like it, they pick it up from your home. 100% risk free, think of it as one month of free amp rental, what more can you ask?

tlynch99

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2006, 12:29 am »
I did some listening to the Moscode amp, and I agree with the previous posters.  One thing that intrigued me, was the ability to open the front cover and swap out the tubes while the amp is one.  They did say there was a glove in the box with the amp, because those tubes are definitely going to be hot.  Just thought it was a cool feature, the amp also has a blue LED that lights the etched glass, and if the amp overloads it turns red, kinda neat.

G2moscode

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2006, 12:14 am »
I’m the Vice President of Moscode and am very interested and pleased in what people are saying about the 401HR. I often search the forums for input.

We are always trying to search for ways to improve the product. We used a pair of Futterman OTLs as reference when we were building the 401HR and they were hooked up to a pair of quads. We feel that we got very close to the Futterman on the top-end and the midrange. We did however get better bass with the 401HR.

The LA show last spring, I do agree that the sound on some disks was a little bright, but I'm sure that was the front-end we were using. It is always hard to get things right at the shows. I would say that at the shows we get a sound that is around 70% to 80% of what is possible. Hotel power, room acoustics and external noise, it all drives me up a tree. Fiddling around and tweaking is part of the hobby and part of the fun.

We used an Esoteric-DV50s at the RMAF 06 show. The sound was much smoother and more revealing than in LA, depending on which filter was used (rdot, fir or rdot + fir). We also use, for the shows, the tube that we ship the 401HR with, the 6H30pi. It is a very clean and accurate tube. Experimentation with NOS tubes is part of the design. I think a 6DJ8 can do wonders. Anyway…

What speakers would you recommend, tubes, cables, etc to mate with the 401HR?

I have been playing with the idea of getting a set of custom line array speakers, any thoughts?

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2006, 12:20 am »
Gage,
  Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will have a good time here, I'm sure Zybar, Tvad4 and Arthur will chip in with their inputs. I'll post mine once I have the Moscode in my setup. :thumb:

barry

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2006, 12:29 am »
I’m the Vice President of Moscode and am very interested and pleased in what people are saying about the 401HR. I often search the forums for input.

We are always trying to search for ways to improve the product. We used a pair of Futterman OTLs as reference when we were building the 401HR and they were hooked up to a pair of quads. We feel that we got very close to the Futterman on the top-end and the midrange. We did however get better bass with the 401HR.

The LA show last spring, I do agree that the sound on some disks was a little bright, but I'm sure that was the front-end we were using. It is always hard to get things right at the shows. I would say that at the shows we get a sound that is around 70% to 80% of what is possible. Hotel power, room acoustics and external noise, it all drives me up a tree. Fiddling around and tweaking is part of the hobby and part of the fun.

We used an Esoteric-DV50s at the RMAF 06 show. The sound was much smoother and more revealing than in LA, depending on which filter was used (rdot, fir or rdot + fir). We also use, for the shows, the tube that we ship the 401HR with, the 6H30pi. It is a very clean and accurate tube. Experimentation with NOS tubes is part of the design. I think a 6DJ8 can do wonders. Anyway…

What speakers would you recommend, tubes, cables, etc to mate with the 401HR?

I have been playing with the idea of getting a set of custom line array speakers, any thoughts?

Welcome to AudioCircle.   :wave:

I think that you could pair up with speakers from Salk Sound (www.salksound.com) or Selah (www.selahaudio.com).  Both vendors have full range floorstanding and mostly full range monitors that are musical, detailed, and dynamic.  Your amp would be a very good fit with either.  I can say from personal experience that the 401HR works very well with the Salk HT3's in my room.

In terms of wire, I really do like Gregg Straley's Reality Speaker Cable (www.realitycables.com).

For power cords, I really like the Black Sand Silver Max IV (www.blacksand.com).

BTW, I just posted a little review of the 401HR that you can read here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32863.msg291529;topicseen#new

George

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2006, 12:42 am »
If you want to stop my my house with a 401 you're welcome to hear it on Merlin VSM-MX's :wink: Unfortunately I'm way out in Indiana.

George Kaye was in Bobby's room and seemed to like the Merlins/Joules a lot, so I'm sure that would make a fun comparison with the 401.

Tom

G2moscode

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2006, 01:10 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle.   :wave:

I think that you could pair up with speakers from Salk Sound (www.salksound.com) or Selah (www.selahaudio.com).  Both vendors have full range floorstanding and mostly full range monitors that are musical, detailed, and dynamic.  Your amp would be a very good fit with either.  I can say from personal experience that the 401HR works very well with the Salk HT3's in my room.

In terms of wire, I really do like Gregg Straley's Reality Speaker Cable (www.realitycables.com).

For power cords, I really like the Black Sand Silver Max IV (www.blacksand.com).

BTW, I just posted a little review of the 401HR that you can read here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32863.msg291529;topicseen#new

George

George,

Thanks for the glowing review. I get a real charge from satisfied customers.
It's nice to know that people are hearing what we are hearing.

Tom,

George Kaye and I agree that the sound of a good OTL with electrostatics is superb,
so it's no surprise he liked the Joule Electra/Merlin room. It's getting cold in upstate NY
where I live, so it's time to bring out the Futterman Signature Series OTLs to warm the room.
George Kaye tuned the mono blocks to make 200 wpc, 10 EL509 tubes per side.
It helps make the winter tolerable.

Gage

95bcwh

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2006, 01:12 am »
Gage,
  I read on Moscode website that you're planning to have a forum. I was thinking an alternative is to set up the forum here on audiocircle??? One advantage is that non-owners can read more about Moscode 8), instead of having to go to a dedicated website.

Anyway, just an idea.. 8)

barry