Mike's SoundScape 10's in pau ferro rosewood

MichiganMike

Re: Mike's SoundScape 10's in pau ferro rosewood
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:08 am »
Mike
thanks and i will let you know where I end up. Enjoy the music

David C,

If you are moving to Denver from London in the fall, keep in mind that the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) will be held in Denver from October 14 to 16.  http://audiofest.net/2011/index.php?Sid=00b599c81696e3f4546eca6870ceaf19

Jim Salk has participated in the RMAF show in past years as has Wilson Audio.  RMAF may provide a wonderful opportunity to evaluate speakers and other equipment.

Best of luck with your move and selection of speakers.  I look forward to hearing about your decision.

Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:46 am »
As stated in an earlier post, my SoundScapes are about 12" from the wall behind them.  My wife prefers the speakers closer to the wall for aesthetic reasons, so they will not be pulled out further.  The proximity to the wall may not be ideal, but the bass response appears solid, deep and clear.   As I recall, fsimms in his review also had his SoundScapes near the rear wall.  The side firing passive radiators appear to disperse the long wave low frequencies much better than a ported design might.  Jim Salk was quoted in an interview about the SoundScapes as stating:
"At home, I even tried moving them to within 5″ of the rear wall. While the bass was slightly more pronounced, it seemed far from objectionable. In fact, I could easily see someone actually preferring the bass reinforcement. So I don’t think these speakers are particularly problematic in small rooms or when positioned in a less-than-ideal situation. They are certainly easier to work with in that regard than just about any rear-ported 3-way I have worked with in the past.

Thanks for the descriptive response Mike and I'm sorry for making you repost the distance. My only excuse is when it comes to oogling over your eyecandy picture, any text becomes a distant afterthought.  :oops:   :D

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:55 pm »
David C,

If you are moving to Denver from London in the fall, keep in mind that the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) will be held in Denver from October 14 to 16.  http://audiofest.net/2011/index.php?Sid=00b599c81696e3f4546eca6870ceaf19

Jim Salk has participated in the RMAF show in past years as has Wilson Audio.  RMAF may provide a wonderful opportunity to evaluate speakers and other equipment.

Best of luck with your move and selection of speakers.  I look forward to hearing about your decision.

Mike

Good point.  I was able to hear both speakers last year at RMAF and the SoundScape's are easily the better speaker.  The Wilson's tonality and timbre was all wrong to my ears, but to each their own.  It's all about preference.  It's important to remember that both speakers were in different rooms, though.  Even still, I got a good feel for the sound.  I highly recommend RMAF to anyone who enjoys this hobby, even if each manufacturer presents in different rooms.  It should still be enough to give you an idea of how capable a speaker/equipment is.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:34 pm »
thanks guys and when I mentioned Denver I forgot to say at the RMAF. We made hotel reservations at the RMAF hotel from 13 till 17th. I can't wait to go. I will keep AC posted on my decision

MichiganMike

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2011, 02:41 am »
My wife runs our dogs in agility trials.  While we do not run Shelties, we have close friends that do and she has a fondness for their dogs.  I suggested to my wife that Jim took care to position the grain in fabricating my speakers to incorporate the image of a Sheltie's head below the woofer of each SoundScape 10.  She studied my speakers closely for the first time and laughed.  She has been much more tolerant of my SoundScapes since then.