Jim and Meghan's SoundScape 10's in mahogany swirl

fsimms

Re: Jim and Meghan's SoundScape 10's in mahogany swirl
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:26 am »
So bob, the Soundscapes are significantly better playing TV sound than the HT-1s?  Could you expand on that.  I find that interesting.

Yes they are.  The HT1’s were sometimes striking when there were percussion sound effects on some TV series.   Other than that they just sounded good.  With the SoundScapes, they sound good with percussion too but you can hear the image of the soundstage that they were recorded on.  Also, a much larger number of sounds are striking.  Simple sounds like walking on gravel are amazing.  I can hear everything!  It sounds like you are there.

Bob

Woolz

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:38 am »
Bob, that's great.  Hi-fi is fun. That's what we are talking about. Hi-res sound.

ThorsHammer

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2010, 01:57 pm »
Could anyone give me an idea of the increase in sonic quality experienced moving from the SongTowers w/ ribbon tweeter...which I have...to the HT2 TLs with the Raal tweeter...to the Soundscapes?

Would it be a small but noticeable difference? A significant difference? A quantum leap?

I'm thinking of upgrading and trying to get a feel for the rate of return in relation to the $ output.

fsimms

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:29 pm »
I have only heard the older SongTowers, HT1’s and HT3’s.  I also have heard my SoundScape 10’s.   Based on the older models, I would say that the SongTowers to the HT3’s is at least one level.   The difference between the HT3’s and the SoundScapes is at least two levels.

Bob

jrg4785

« Reply #24 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:45 pm »
thanks for your comments, Bob.  I'll try some absorption behind the speakers.  This might be a stupid question/observation, but one thing I noticed was that when I have the volume on very very low, one speaker is playing and the other is not.  In other words the volume level for one channel is much higher than the other.   I was listening to Devil may care on Dianna Krall's live in paris when I noticed this.  is that just a function of the recording or is something else going on?   

In fact, when I turn the volume on my peachtree down all the way, I can still hear Krall out of one channel.  Only when I turn the peachtree down all the way and turn the volume on my iphone remote down all the way is the music completely gone. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 29 Oct 2010, 02:07 pm »
thanks for your comments, Bob.  I'll try some absorption behind the speakers.  This might be a stupid question/observation, but one thing I noticed was that when I have the volume on very very low, one speaker is playing and the other is not.  In other words the volume level for one channel is much higher than the other.   I was listening to Devil may care on Dianna Krall's live in paris when I noticed this.  is that just a function of the recording or is something else going on?   

In fact, when I turn the volume on my peachtree down all the way, I can still hear Krall out of one channel.  Only when I turn the peachtree down all the way and turn the volume on my iphone remote down all the way is the music completely gone.

Sounds like the Peachtree is not capable of maintaining an even volume.  Not sure its volume pot could be cleaned and if it would make an improvement.  Time for that new preamp? :wink:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 29 Oct 2010, 02:11 pm »
Could anyone give me an idea of the increase in sonic quality experienced moving from the SongTowers w/ ribbon tweeter...which I have...to the HT2 TLs with the Raal tweeter...to the Soundscapes?

Would it be a small but noticeable difference? A significant difference? A quantum leap?

I'm thinking of upgrading and trying to get a feel for the rate of return in relation to the $ output.

Each step is a good one.  The HT2's have more bass and the Raal is slightly more smooth sounding but as Dennis and Jim will report, measure essentially the same.  The SSes are vastly different in that the bass is totally authoritative, the midrange is open in the back, and with the Raal, the sound is enveloping to say the least and very smooth.  I love my HT2TL's as much, or more than my HT3's, but SSes are definitely on my mind.

jrg4785

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2010, 07:26 pm »
"Sounds like the Peachtree is not capable of maintaining an even volume.  Not sure its volume pot could be cleaned and if it would make an improvement.  Time for that new preamp?"

at some point, i think so.  I am signed up for the modwright ls 100 tour......

jrg4785

« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm »
One more thing I forgot to post that I thought some of you might be interested in.  in the Stereophile review of the Vivid V1.5, it notes that "In When David Heard, I heard with unprecedented clarity not only the individual voices, but also the "town sound" of all that was happening outside the recording venue, a London church. The clarity of the voices was amazing on Browne's "Late for the Sky" and "Fountain of Sorrow." From 0:30 of track 1 of CD 1 of the Bill Evans set, for the first time ever listening through speakers instead of headphones I could make out most of the quiet conversation between Evans and bassist Scott LaFaro. LaFaro asks what they're going to play (!), and Evans answers, "Let's start with your tune—the one we were just playing."

I happen to have the Bill Evans recording and could understand the conversation easily.  My wife could to, and she hadn't read the article (so she had no idea what they were saying other than from hearing it through the soundscapes).  Relatively small point, but somewhat objective and I thought some of you might be interested.

ThorsHammer

« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:41 pm »
Thanks Guys for the feedback.

I think you have answered my question...my next move now looks like it will be to the HT2 TLs. And, while I know I should sell my STs to defray the expense...using them as my surround sounds sure is tempting.