How do the Salk Sound HT3 sound like

HerculePirate

How do the Salk Sound HT3 sound like
« on: 14 Nov 2008, 09:25 am »
Hi,

Can all HT3 owners please describe the HT3 sound for me please.
Auditioning one is impossible for me.
I like to Metal, ROck, Pop and occasional Jazz
I like the clarity of the Electrostats but need the punch and drive needed for Rock. How is the bass ?
Regards
HP

martyo

Re: How do the Salk Sound HT3 sound like
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2008, 12:32 pm »
I like the clarity of the Electrostats but need the punch and drive needed for Rock.

One could use that statement in describing the HT3's except with better dispersion/image than electrostats and never that "bare bones" kind of thinness that one sometimes hears with electrostatic's, IMO.

My old speakers had 4 12"ers per side and were probably "+" at 20HZ. The HT3 bass is very detailed and fast, and very powerful and dynamic. 8)

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2008, 02:09 pm »
The clarity of the HT3's are amazing.  The thing that gets me about the HT3's is that they capture the excitement of a live performance.   

The only thing that would be a concern is that electronic instruments are usually heard through speakers that give the sound it's own distortion.   Without that distortion, they sound different than what you are used to.   That being said, I played Hotel California on the Hell Freezes Over album for a friend and he said that it "couldn't sound any better".   It sounded like you were there on the stage.   Hotel "California sounded better than when I heard it a friend's house where he had very large Sound Lab electrostatic speakers that did have dynamics.

Wally King

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:33 pm »
Hi,

I like the clarity of the Electrostats but need the punch and drive needed for Rock. How is the bass ?
Regards
HP

The HT-3s are simply wonderful on any kind of music, and the bass is the best I've heard on any speaker I've ever owned or auditioned in a store. The bass is powerful, fast and visceral. Overall, I'd describe the speakers as having weight and body, while also being supremely detailed.  They make me want to listen to music.  A lot.

PMAT

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:39 pm »
Much of what you want is archived here if you use the search. If you can swing it, buy em.

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:16 pm »
Here is a link to my thoughts after I auditioned them....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13397626&postcount=351

I ordered them shortly after   :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:39 pm »
I can comment on replacing B&W's with HT3's. My main concern was 'could the HT3's rock' a question I specifically asked Jim.
With my 803's I had a REL subwoofer, and now don't need to use this at all with the HT3's - I can hear/feel them down to around 21hz, using a subwoofer speaker the HT3's go fast and deep.  An example is Piano Smasher on the Blue Man/Complex CD, the bass is phenomenal on the HT3's, with no boom or distortion - a great test.  A post of a few months ago implied the HT3's were bass light, on the contrary I find the opposite.  I used to moderate a Home Theater forum, these guys had a subwoofer paradigm that focused on quantity whereas the HT3's strength is quality of bass output.  

My B&W's had the 'B&W' house sound which I find to be a very artificial and unrealistic top end, the HT3's are more open/more realistic/less fatiguing in this department.  Mid-Range - voices (male & female) are very realistic, a few criticize the SEAS driver and claim a 'ringing' at the upper end of its frequency response but I understand Jim/Denis have the crossover designed in such a way to eliminate any weakness the SEAS driver might have.

So yes the HT3's rock, the caveat is they are not the most efficient speakers and need power to drive them well.  Jim will be the first to tell you that they are not perfect so, as others have stated, you should try and take a listen if you can.

Trust my comments help.

« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2008, 09:08 pm by Philistine »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:34 pm »
I don't want to get anyone's bass expectations up too much in terms of pure extension.  The woof is good down to 30 Hz, but not 21 Hz.  In fact I tested a prototype 12" version that could only make it down to 25 Hz.  Getting below 25 Hz is really hard if you want a woof that will function well further up.  That said, if anyone thinks the HT3 bass is "light." they've been running their previous speaker with the bass control all the way 'round to the right. 

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:50 pm »
I don't want to get anyone's bass expectations up too much in terms of pure extension.  The woof is good down to 30 Hz, but not 21 Hz.  In fact I tested a prototype 12" version that could only make it down to 25 Hz.  Getting below 25 Hz is really hard if you want a woof that will function well further up.  That said, if anyone thinks the HT3 bass is "light." they've been running their previous speaker with the bass control all the way 'round to the right. 

This what I measure on my Radio Shack SPL - so is this room effect issues or inaccuracies in the SPL meter?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2008, 08:30 pm »

Dennis,

I thought I was able to get in room response (EQ'd via a TacT unit) into the mid 20's with my HT3's.

In terms of bass below 25Hz, my Vandy 5A's do that in room, but they are way more expensive than the HT3's and achieve that with a powered woofer.

George
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2008, 10:50 pm by zybar »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2008, 09:47 pm »
The HT3 is tuned to 31 Hz.  The response goes south very shortly below that.  You can equalize it, although I'm sure there's lots of 2nd order harmonic distortion thrown in.  I've done tone sweeps in my room, and there just isn't much left below 30 Hz.  I wouldn't rely too much on a rat shack meter that low. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2008, 10:09 pm »
HT3 sound? They don't!  They let you hear everything that is happening ahead of them, from the talent of the performer, the mics, the record electronics, down to the whole playback system, for better or for worse (usually for the better, a lot better, with good stuff ahead of them).

My HT3s are tools, my acoustic windows into the quality of our design ideas.  We need to hear it all, and the HT3s let us know, right away, if our ideas are worthwhile.

Strongly recommended if you can afford them.  If the price is out of range, think about the SongTowers.  Both designs have that rare "magic" - the ability to just suck you into the music and disappear.  This is almost impossible to design for, but when it happens you will know it

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2008, 06:20 pm »
The HT3's are an incredible speaker

they virtually disappear in the room, tonally correct, excellent imaging, articulation of instruments, no cabinet resonant issues, they will also reflect the quality of the source material and electronics proceeding them. The sustain and decay of musical notes in fabulous, and I pay upright bass

I can't think of another speaker I've heard that did this so effectively
and I've heard some pretty expensive ones

jbtrio

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2008, 04:58 am »
The Ht-3's have the clarity of electrostatics but has tuneful tight natural sounding bass. In my room they are only down -3 db at 20 Hz using a Rives test disc which compensates for the Rat Shack meters inaccuracies.

They are fast with excellent detail and still maintain a full engaging sound. Feed them good upstream components and you will be rewarded. Built quality is top-notch with any veneers imaginable and Jim is a great guy to deal with.

Joe

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2008, 01:00 pm »
Big challenge for the HT4 to be better than the HT3, wouldn't you think?

Bigfish

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2008, 01:31 pm »
Hi,

Regards
HP

I have only had the opportunity to hear the HT3s at RMAF this year.  They were driven by Frank VanAlstine's equipment.  The sound was full range, clean and very musical which it my way of saying they were very enjoyable to listen to. 

I have been actively following AC for nearly 2 years and I think I have seen 2 pairs of used HT3s advertised here in that period of time.  This indicates they are very good speakers and people cannot improve on their sound without spending significantly more money. 

While it has no impact on sound the HT3s offer a significant advantage with WAF.  You can allow her to chose the veneer and by doing so she will never complain about the speakers in room. :lol:

Ken

PMAT

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2008, 12:21 am »
Good advice on the WAF, Ken. Looks are very important for the total enjoyment. It's the ice cream on top and the hit off the whipped cream can. Imagine the same speaker in flat gray color.  :( No thank you!

HerculePirate

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2008, 07:33 pm »
Thank you very much guys for the feedback on the Salk Sound HT3's
I would like to add that I have the Acoustic Reality eAR 1001 REF.
I plan to add the AVA pre amp after I get the HT3's
I am concerned that the Speaker would lack the Bass and that it would carry a thin sound rather than weight.
Yes, There have been folks who have said they do provide weight.
Also the new woofer...how different is it and also that the TC woofer is not available in case of any failures. ( if i can get my hands on a second hand HT3...which looks quite difficult...and the price they are sold for are equal to the price of a new HT3 )
Regards
HP

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2008, 07:38 pm »
Thank you very much guys for the feedback on the Salk Sound HT3's
I would like to add that I have the Acoustic Reality eAR 1001 REF.
I plan to add the AVA pre amp after I get the HT3's
I am concerned that the Speaker would lack the Bass and that it would carry a thin sound rather than weight.
Yes, There have been folks who have said they do provide weight.
Also the new woofer...how different is it and also that the TC woofer is not available in case of any failures. ( if i can get my hands on a second hand HT3...which looks quite difficult...and the price they are sold for are equal to the price of a new HT3 )
Regards
HP

If the HT3's sound thin or are lacking in the bass department, it is your associated gear or your setup - PERIOD!!

George

HerculePirate

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2008, 07:41 pm »

:)
Thank you very much ...
I am in discussion with Jim about the speakers...mostly the price and other options regards
Alwyn