For Sale - SS8's and matching SS7 center, with cable bonus for sale.

audiocrazy

I bought them for Jim directly so I PMed him. But I'll put them up in Marketplace as well.

Doug shipped the speakers today so really excited to have them before weekend.

I'm planning to place SS8 3ft from the back wall. The left will be 2 ft from side wall and right will be about 1.5 ft from side wall. That will place them about 9 to 10ft from sweet spot and 8 ft apart.

Does it sound right or do i need to pull it further away from back wall?

Big Red Machine

That's plenty.  Have fun playing with the midrange baffles as well.

SCompRacer

I just finalized the sale with Doug  :D

I'm excited and anxious at the same time as I've not heard SS8 before and don't know what to expect.

Congrats, and I predict elation.  :D

audiocrazy

SS8 are in the house  :o. Here is the initial pic. Will take better pics later

Big Red Machine

Fantastic! :D

jriggy

audiocrazy,

I seem to remember seeing a SS8 owner, or it was another Salk model speaker, removing the plinth and using Soundocity Outriggers instead. With the right spikes, you could potentially loose almost two inches (maybe more?) in height... Hard to tell in your pic but maybe this would help some?

audiocrazy

audiocrazy,

I seem to remember seeing a SS8 owner, or it was another Salk model speaker, removing the plinth and using Soundocity Outriggers instead. With the right spikes, you could potentially loose almost two inches (maybe more?) in height... Hard to tell in your pic but maybe this would help some?
Yes that's a great idea :thumb: and actually I was thinking about removing the plinth to reduce height. Does removing plinth affect the sound quality in anyway? What soundocity spikes are recommended for SS8?
If i can reduce the height by 2" that would have them out of line of vision from screen.

Also what's the best solution to reduce reflection from the veneer on the screen. In the past I've used flocking paper but they look ugly. I'm thinking of using a nice black velvet on top of speaker. Any other idea ? :scratch:

DEP14

Yes that's a great idea :thumb: and actually I was thinking about removing the plinth to reduce height. Does removing plinth affect the sound quality in anyway? What soundocity spikes are recommended for SS8?
If i can reduce the height by 2" that would have them out of line of vision from screen.

Also what's the best solution to reduce reflection from the veneer on the screen. In the past I've used flocking paper but they look ugly. I'm thinking of using a nice black velvet on top of speaker. Any other idea ? :scratch:

So ironically when I first owned those, I didn't run the plinths for a little while as Jim was refinishing them.  Sound wise, I do think you want to make sure they are spiked as it did tighten things up a bit, but the plinths themselves... non issue as long as you spike them.  Those outriggers might work.

jriggy

What soundocity spikes are recommended for SS8?

THe spikes are in the outriggers themselves, not the speaker. Its the outrigger bar that connects to the speaker. Check out the Soundocity website and just pick some low profile spikes and get em in the right width for your speaker. Ask Jim about threading for the bolts to go into the speakers. 1/4-20 ???

audiocrazy

Asked Jim and SS8 spike thread inserts are 3/8-16. I'll contact Soundocity for more information.
I'm thinking about this
http://www.soundocity.com/Straight_End_1.50_Spikes.html
OR
for very low profile (but they look bit flimsy)
http://www.soundocity.com/economical_products.html

Can somebody advice whether Toe-in is needed for SS8 or not. ST sounded better without toe-in with a wider soundstage but SS8 will be different.

Also is it better to keep Midrange back grill open or closed? What does most SS8 owners prefer?
I think since  my HT screen is so close to SS8 i should keep it closed but i maybe wrong?

Big Red Machine

Can somebody advice whether Toe-in is needed for SS8 or not. ST sounded better without toe-in with a wider soundstage but SS8 will be different.

Also is it better to keep Midrange back grill open or closed? What does most SS8 owners prefer?

Same.
Open, but stuffed.

DEP14

audiocrazy

I got 1.5" outrigger installed and that reduce the height by about 1" to 1 1/4".

I have very thick berber carpet and padding and after installing outrigger it seems the cabinet is very close to the basement concrete floor. I think the clearance is about 1" to 1/2" and  i can slide my finger underneath it & the spikes do penetrate the carpet & touch the floor.
Should i install 2.12" spikes instead for more clearance?

What's the recommended clearance for SS8 from the floor?