Exotica 3 compared to SoundScape 10

sounddog

Re: Exotica 3 compared to SoundScape 10
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:34 pm »
I agree that DEP14 is probably right about the comparison. We listen primarily to classical, with the rest mostly being acoustic, and we definitely prefer the Exotica 3s to the Soundscape 8s. Rockers probably would prefer the Soundscapes.

JonnyFive

« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:55 pm »
As the originator of this thread, I was hoping this was not going to turn out to be an SS8 vs. Exotica 3 comparison as there are already many threads dedicated that.  I appreciate input but with $4000 price difference between the SS8 and Exotica 3 I was asking to hear comparisons between the SS10 vs Exotica 3 which are equally priced.

I think the comparison SS10 vs E3 a bit forced.  The comparison I'd be making would be the SS8+whatever else you want to buy with $4k versus E3.  In fact, it was the choice I did make.  The SS8s are amazing, I have no complaints.  But I learned I'm a soft midrange guy so I'm moving to the E3s.  Two nice SVS SB13s in addition to the SS8s would be incredible, and still be cheaper than the the E3/SS10. All you're gaining with the SS10 vs SS8 is a few hz deeper extension, but there's no music genre I've heard that I felt the SS8s needed deeper extension.  The bass section on the SS8s is simply awesome.  There's good reason you haven't seen many SS10s since the introduction of the SS8.  All but a bit of bass is captured for 2/3 the price.  Higher sensitivity design too. I'd buy the SS8s over the SS10s or 12s even if I wanted to spend that much money.

IMO, SS8 vs E3 is the right comparison.

DEP14

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:12 pm »
I think the comparison SS10 vs E3 a bit forced.  The comparison I'd be making would be the SS8+whatever else you want to buy with $4k versus E3.  In fact, it was the choice I did make.  The SS8s are amazing, I have no complaints.  But I learned I'm a soft midrange guy so I'm moving to the E3s.  Two nice SVS SB13s in addition to the SS8s would be incredible, and still be cheaper than the the E3/SS10. All you're gaining with the SS10 vs SS8 is a few hz deeper extension, but there's no music genre I've heard that I felt the SS8s needed deeper extension.  The bass section on the SS8s is simply awesome.  There's good reason you haven't seen many SS10s since the introduction of the SS8.  All but a bit of bass is captured for 2/3 the price.  Higher sensitivity design too. I'd buy the SS8s over the SS10s or 12s even if I wanted to spend that much money.

IMO, SS8 vs E3 is the right comparison.

I would agree, and ironically I have dual SVS subs - PC12 plus's in each corner behind mine.  It's a great combo when I want to thump and rock a bit I just add the subs to the mix with the SS8's X-over at 50hz.

I might be going to the SB13's if I think I can fit them comfortably behind mine in the corners.  You get a year with SVS to upgrade and I might do it (no real reason I need to honestly, but I can't help but wonder if those woofers sound even better). 

Will post a bit more detailed comparison in my findings between the two here shortly.  There are a few other things that the E3's do that I have not heard in a sub 25k speaker ever.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm »
Will post a bit more detailed comparison in my findings between the two here shortly.  There are a few other things that the E3's do that I have not heard in a sub 25k speaker ever.

If you could DEP14, when you write up a more detailed comparison can you talk about the differences/similarities between the midrange on the soundscape vs the exotica.

I think that's awesome that BRM let you come over to check out his setup!

DEP14

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm »
If you could DEP14, when you write up a more detailed comparison can you talk about the differences/similarities between the midrange on the soundscape vs the exotica.

I think that's awesome that BRM let you come over to check out his setup!

Sure.

So, here is a bonus for those looking to buy one of the two.  All you have to do is get to Kalamazoo Michigan and BRM and I live about 10 minutes from each other it turns out.

Better Bonus - Bells Beer is HQ here and for those not familiar, they are one of the best breweries in the country.

JonnyFive

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:22 pm »
I would agree, and ironically I have dual SVS subs - PC12 plus's in each corner behind mine.  It's a great combo when I want to thump and rock a bit I just add the subs to the mix with the SS8's X-over at 50hz.

I might be going to the SB13's if I think I can fit them comfortably behind mine in the corners.  You get a year with SVS to upgrade and I might do it (no real reason I need to honestly, but I can't help but wonder if those woofers sound even better). 

I had both the PC12+ and SB13 in my house for a side-by-side audition.  It wasn't even close, and that's not to knock the PC12+, it was great.  I think I have a strong preference for sealed subs.  Ported just sounds "woofier" to me, I feel like I *hear* it.  I never feel like I hear the SB13, I just feel it vibrate my entire being when Gypsy Danger battles monsters on Pacific Rim. :)  Highly recommend you give it a try.  My plan is to add a second, or three more.... unless they release an SB15 (fingers crossed).

Looking forward to hearing your additional comments about the E3.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:29 pm »
Sure.

So, here is a bonus for those looking to buy one of the two.  All you have to do is get to Kalamazoo Michigan and BRM and I live about 10 minutes from each other it turns out.

Better Bonus - Bells Beer is HQ here and for those not familiar, they are one of the best breweries in the country.

Geez... Is that all you guys do in Michigan....listen to good music on a set of great speakers while drinking some good beer!   :drool:  :D

If you guys ever do one of those get togethers like they did a few years ago I would interested. Hopefully when the weather is a little warmer.

SCompRacer

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2014, 01:12 am »
My two channel listening area is open to the entire main level with 14' ceiling. I use a pair of NHT B12-d subs to firm up the 25-35Hz region. Some music I play goes that low, but most time they sit idle.