OFFRAMP 5 AND PWDMKII NO NATIVEX

ALRAINBOW

OFFRAMP 5 AND PWDMKII NO NATIVEX
« on: 3 Jan 2014, 07:43 pm »
hello all
 I have an offramp5 all the options . It greatly improves any dac I attach to it.
I have a pwd mkii . I am  using it with the hdmi i2s input . it works on native but not native x. I have 243 firmware installed.  any ideas ??

al 

audioengr

Re: OFFRAMP 5 AND PWDMKII NO NATIVEX
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2014, 08:02 pm »
hello all
 I have an offramp5 all the options . It greatly improves any dac I attach to it.
I have a pwd mkii . I am  using it with the hdmi i2s input . it works on native but not native x. I have 243 firmware installed.  any ideas ??

al

What exactly does it do in NativeX mode?  No sound at all?

There is a special muting fix that may help.  If you pay shipping, I will install it and see if it helps.  It should not break anything.

Steve N.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2014, 08:09 pm »
Yes no sound at all.
 I will pay shipping no problem . What do you do to fix it?
al

DaveBSC

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2014, 08:45 pm »
For what it's worth, I've heard from a friend with an OR5 and PWDII that it actually sounds better in Native mode as opposed to NativeX mode when used with I2S. According to him, the OR5 is more accurate than the PWD's reclocker.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2014, 09:39 pm »
Thanks for giving thought . As it is , it helps with all inputs anyway. Even with the bridge it truly beats it. 

It gives clarity , and space between the instruments , better sound stage. But what it really does that is impressive is add ambience to the recording . It seems to lower the noise floor as well.  I paid some bucks for these too UGLY boxes.  Steve can you just make them even a little decorative.  Anyway steve does deliver in sound quality in a big way.   I also own a MSB stack all plus and yes it does sound better but before the pwd mkii was so behind i could not use it. 

Al. D

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2014, 10:24 pm »
Thanks for giving thought . As it is , it helps with all inputs anyway. Even with the bridge it truly beats it. 

It gives clarity , and space between the instruments , better sound stage. But what it really does that is impressive is add ambience to the recording . It seems to lower the noise floor as well.  I paid some bucks for these too UGLY boxes.  Steve can you just make them even a little decorative.  Anyway steve does deliver in sound quality in a big way.   I also own a MSB stack all plus and yes it does sound better but before the pwd mkii was so behind i could not use it. 

Al. D

Dave is correct.  Native mode is the best mode to use with the OR5. This delivers the lowest jitter.  Using NativeX will use the master clock inside the PWD instead of the OR5.

If you want to further improve things, I would recommend these if you don't already have them:

1) Dynamo power supply for the OR5
2) Short-Block
3) HDMI-12 I2S cable
4) Plasmatron3 from vhaudio.com

Steve N.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2014, 10:36 pm »
I have the dynamo.
I have the offramp5 with all options.
I have a audio quest USB cable.
I have the short HDMI from ps audio. 

Maybe that's why it sounds much better than the dac with the bridge. It overall improved the dac dramatically . It plays my music in an entirely different way, and sounds better than the AP1 and PP.  It greatly  Improves any dac I tried . I have a U M PP6 and the JH3A with the JH16 combo. It helps them immensely.

I was just wondering about the native X.  but at this point I'm fine without it. 

Thanks

Al. D

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2014, 01:39 am »
Steve-
With the Plasmatron 3, do you use it strictly for the DAC and Offramp?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2014, 05:59 am »
Steve-
With the Plasmatron 3, do you use it strictly for the DAC and Offramp?

Yes, and my Synchro-Mesh for Sonos and Oppo for blu-rays.  I tried it on the Hynes supply for the Mac Mini, but I don't think it made a big difference there, besides I want the Mini powered 24/7.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2014, 06:26 pm »
I want the Mini powered 24/7.
Steve N.

Yes! I agree with this... I had a buddy of mine buy a Mini to use after he heard mine. He was never happy with it. I asked him if he left it on all the time, and he said he only powered it up for listening..

I told him to leave the sucker on, and his tune changed big time.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:37 am »
The plasmatrons now have a bypass switch that allows you to rest the tubes and still keep your gear on 24/7. You just turn the tubes when you are listening.  Check out the website. 

If Steve Nugent purchases equipment, i take notice. 

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:58 pm »
Dave is correct.  Native mode is the best mode to use with the OR5. This delivers the lowest jitter.  Using NativeX will use the master clock inside the PWD instead of the OR5.

If you want to further improve things, I would recommend these if you don't already have them:

1) Dynamo power supply for the OR5
2) Short-Block
3) HDMI-12 I2S cable
4) Plasmatron3 from vhaudio.com

Steve N.

Just a comment on the HDMI-12 cable: I have been running a PS Audio HDMI-10 from the OR5 into my W4S DAC2DSDse with very good performance. However, I just replaced the cable with the HDMI-12 version and can't believe how much better it sounds (thanks liddow). This cable should be considered mandatory for DAC2 owners.

edn4x4

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2014, 08:41 pm »
Just a comment on the HDMI-12 cable: I have been running a PS Audio HDMI-10 from the OR5 into my W4S DAC2DSDse with very good performance. However, I just replaced the cable with the HDMI-12 version and can't believe how much better it sounds (thanks liddow). This cable should be considered mandatory for DAC2 owners.

+1
When I replaced a cheaper monster cable I first had in there (and basically forgot about) with the HDMI-12 version - it was a huge improvement.  The bass in my system showed up and  sounded very good.  The overall sound was more musical and 3D (i know very overused, but that shocked me).  I also believe in burn in,but the change was immediate.
I also recommend Steve's power supply for the OR5 :thumb: Very musical in my system - music seemed to flow or be more smooth if that makes sense.
BTW I also  have the W4S DAC2DSDse (upgraded from DAC2).
Eric