Auditiorium 23 Mat adjustments

Bobbywheat

Re: Auditiorium 23 Mat adjustments
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:21 am »
I was googling auditorium Mat to get more information and this is what I got (check the usernames)

This is the first result I read:
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1016057

A few reads later:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649030090-auditorium_a23_turntable_mat

LOL

doak

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:47 am »
HAHa... I remember that "quote."

His ( Sawyers) loss.   :wink:

Doak

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2014, 07:02 am »
Hi all,

I am interested in buying an Auditorium 23 mat, but which one I cannot make my mind. There seems to be more WTA owners using the regular mat than the Homage, is it because it has better synergy with the table or it's simply cheaper? Has anyone tried both?

Best regards,
robert
We need someone like Threadkiller's (Charlie) input here. I can say that the Homage mat provides the same type of improvement that has been described by thinner mat owners plus I am very happy with the reduced surface noise. My Versalex/ XV1s playing a mint condition LP is now as quiet as my CD playback. I would like to see, if it's possible, WTL acquiring A23 mats and suppling them as standard with their decks. That how highly I rate them over the current supplied mat.....

Bobbywheat

« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:22 pm »
It would be nice to have Mr Sawyers input.  Maybe, like most of us audiophiles, he got very excited with the new sounds he was hearing, but after a while he went back to the original mat and it had the same effect. After all most tweaks are just trade-offs. If you notice, later in the thread someone called it hyperbole and Mr Sawyer, unlike many audiophiles, did not get offended, but, like a real gentleman, showed open-mindedness by admitting that, yes, the possibility was there.

That’s my take on it, but I could be completely wrong, he might have just changed turntables and the mat did not work well with his new table.

doak

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:59 pm »
Maybe he upgraded to the Homage version.  8)

It's been a couple of years now and I maintain my originally formed conclusion:
The A23 mat is an upgrade in all ways - no downside.  That along with a very reasonable price make it IMO a "No Brainer" for anyone using a current Well Tempered turntable system.  It's THAT good.

I'd love to hear the Homage to compare/contrast.

Doak

watercourse

« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:21 pm »
+1

I'll also add that the benefits were consistent between the Simplex and the Amadeus. The effect on low noise floor in particular must simply be experienced, and by extension, the increased resolution and dynamics.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:54 pm »
+1

I'll also add that the benefits were consistent between the Simplex and the Amadeus. The effect on low noise floor in particular must simply be experienced, and by extension, the increased resolution and dynamics.
Absolutely Wilson. With respect BobbyWheat you appear to be underestimating the power of the consensus. Even Bill Firebaugh who designs the WT decks prefers the A23 to the standard mat.

As a side note the XTC counterweight divides opinion. I'm reliably informed that Mike Pranka doesn't like it. Forum members Mick, Oscar and myself (amongst others) think it's a clear upgrade over the standard weights.

threadkiller

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2014, 06:09 pm »
The two mats are both better than stock. It's hard to describe the differences, musically. I really like them both. I had the A23 mat first, much better musically, much less static and no cling. Then the Hommage came out, ditto the descriptions. The one thing to note is the obvious thickness differences. For some, Mr P in particular, the thin mat made it harder to lift the record off the platter. Maybe it's mental,since he's quite dexterous with a cartridge...  :lol:
I currently use the Hommage, but could equally go back to the A23... I prefer the look of the A23... Sleeker and cleaner looking... 
So there you go...
Some of you could use the $150 difference and put it towards better cables or cartridges...

doak

« Reply #28 on: 15 Aug 2014, 06:30 pm »
The two mats are both better than stock. It's hard to describe the differences, musically. I really like them both. I had the A23 mat first, much better musically, much less static and no cling. Then the Hommage came out, ditto the descriptions. The one thing to note is the obvious thickness differences. For some, Mr P in particular, the thin mat made it harder to lift the record off the platter. Maybe it's mental,since he's quite dexterous with a cartridge...  :lol:
I currently use the Hommage, but could equally go back to the A23... I prefer the look of the A23... Sleeker and cleaner looking... 
So there you go...
Some of you could use the $150 difference and put it towards better cables or cartridges...

Thanks TK.  :thumb:

newvinyl

« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:13 am »
Just to finish this tread off, a while back after making adjustments to accomodate the new thinner mat, I checked VTF again. Turns out that is was exactly where it was before all the adjustments. So everything must have been the same, just a tad lower.

Still loving the mat. Now there's nothing else to do except listen to music. Just picked up a Mary Lou Williams/Don Byas LP. Good stuff.