Is"remote off" to amplifier enough? to temporarily disconnect speaker cables

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I have been fooling around with the resistors on my Magnepan 20.7 speakers. To do this generally requires removing the speaker WBT banana connectors which sit directly above the resistor terminals
Since I have been doing this I got lazier and not also flipping the on amp on/off button. Rather only shutting off the amplifier with the BP-26 preamp at a distance wired on/off.. without the button on the amplifier being moved. Seems to be just fine.
My question is...
If I accidentally touch the rather safely covered with the WBT plastic shell, but possible to make touch together tips of the speaker wire ends..... Am I safe? IE with the remote on/off OFF, the amp cannot be harmed by accidentally shorting the speaker cable?
I certainly do NOT want anything bad to happen, and I will not 'test it' to discover I was wrong!
(I am tired of flipping the main on off button on the amp a gazillion times adjusting in small increments the resistance on my Magnepans..
Just want a reassurance. Not very likely the tips at the ends of the WBT will ever touch, but I worry... just worry...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi Liz

Thats a question for Mike = I will forward for you.

james

toocool4

I think the remote on/off is just muting the output signal but the amp is still live, to be safe I would say switch it off.

Elizabeth

The amplifier's front panel lights go OFF. (not yellow or red or green.. off) Which means the amplifier is not 'amplifying'.
When I press the front panel on off switch with the unit in remote off, there is a sound. Like a relay clicking. for both on and off.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
The amplifier's front panel lights go OFF. (not yellow or red or green.. off) Which means the amplifier is not 'amplifying'.
When I press the front panel on off switch with the unit in remote off, there is a sound. Like a relay clicking. for both on and off.

Hi Liz

I have not heard from engineering yet - Monday - but I believe the amp does turn off.

james

Elizabeth

An aside... The amplifier also turns off if the remote turn on wire is disconnected by accident...
And the amp is set to remote turn on..
I discovered this one day and was like WTF!!!!  :o  is wrong. After a lot of cursing and worry... Lucky I decided to check the wire in the remote turn on and sure enough it had come loose from the connector at the amp back.  :thumb:

toocool4

Okay when you said remote, I thought you meant wireless remote.

Elizabeth

Bryston AMPLIFIERS do not have any sort of 'wireless remote'.

techguy0192

Okay when you said remote, I thought you meant wireless remote.

No, she is referencing the 12v trigger wire that can be run between Bryston components.  They reduce the number of power buttons a person has to switch in order to power up/down there system.

To the original question.  I don't recall ever killing the mains switch (rear) for cable changes.  The trigger voltage is a constant 12v sent to your amp.  Having the front power button in the off position should be sufficient. 

toocool4

Cool thanks Elizabeth & techguy0192