Best Low Watt Amp in your system Today?

jparkhur

Best Low Watt Amp in your system Today?
« on: 10 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm »
Modified Decware 84c, modded to 3 watts as well as a Virtue 2.2 with Sonicaps.  Used with Frugal Horns and Fonken 125's.  Love them both.  I have both the regular and the high voltage one as well as a 1.2 also.  I mice them around a lot, but my favorite is a small flea watt tube amp-Mullard tubes.

JohnR

Re: Best Low Watt Amp in your system Today?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm »
What power supply are you using with the 2.2?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:30 pm »
Does a 2.2 qualify, I think mine with the larger PS makes it too powerful. I used to have a 6.5 watt tube amp and I'm probably getting a Jolida FX10 next...hopefully. Congrats on the new circle by the way!!! :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2012, 01:40 pm »
I have a number of flea-watt amps that I have had success with. A Decware 84C, and both the MiniWatt amp models (S1 and N3). All are amazing, especially when you factor in the price. Not sure how they do it...

But now that I am down to only one pair of efficient speakers, two of those will need to go. I will probably have a shootout between them on my HornShoppe Horns, and sell the others. But if there is interest by anyone in this thread for any of these shoot me a PM. I could even deliver to AKFest for those attending.

In the non-fleawatt realm, I need to get around to selling an Atma-Sphere S-30 too. Again, happy to deliver to AKFest if needed.

Hopefully I will have time to list ads for these later.

Tam Lin

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:02 pm »
Jota monoblocks with EAT 32B (20 watts) driving Trio Omegas (110dB).
I recently tried a Pass F3: I didn’t like it. There was nothing tube-like about it.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:10 pm »
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2012, 09:14 pm by aragon63 »

DeadFish

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »
I have a Decware SE84C, but I really favor my Bottlehead S.E.X. amp (with some upgraded parts) more.  No matter what I plug in, I come back to it most of the time.  It plays well with Altec Bolero, 19's, Hornshoppe Horns and also Dynaco A-25 speakers.  I even pop in the headphones and have a good time with it.  No call for big watts for me much anymore.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2012, 01:58 am by DeadFish »

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:08 pm »
My favorites:

info here

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:48 pm »
I'm fortunate to have a number of SETs. Though I enjoy them all at different times, I keep coming back to my Welborne DRD 300Bs.

For my ears, there isn't a purer, more transparent amp on the market.

DeadFish

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2012, 08:55 pm »
I'm fortunate to have a number of SETs. Though I enjoy them all at different times, I keep coming back to my Welborne DRD 300Bs.

For my ears, there isn't a purer, more transparent amp on the market.

I always liked those amps of yours Scott, as well!

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2012, 10:19 pm »
Currently have two Vaughn Audio Carinas driving Horn Shoppe Horns & Tekton Designs 6.5s.  Also have a PrimaLuna Prologue One not hooked up to anything.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm »
Does a 2.2 qualify, I think mine with the larger PS makes it too powerful. I used to have a 6.5 watt tube amp and I'm probably getting a Jolida FX10 next...hopefully. Congrats on the new circle by the way!!! :thumb:

no, with my current speakers I am crying for more headroom. I mean it sounds awesome, but in the end these are not powerhouse amps. On an 8ohm speaker though they're pretty strong. My Maggie's bring it to its knees if I push it.

I would place the virtue on the high end of the low usable power scale for those of us with thirsty speakers.

I dont even have the fancy chrome knoh on mine, I have it off, constantly looking for the clipping light.

medium jim

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm »
Unfortunately, none of my amps qualify as low power, but I do have a real clean early 60's Dynakit ST-70 that is 35WPC.  I might get it modded to Triode and will then qualify for inclusion to this circle!   

Good luck to Freo-1 and all the best with your new circle!

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm »
Thanks, Jim. 

Right now, my First Watt M2 is the only low power amp I have.

I want to make a SET tube amp, and currently am looking into options.  Also may look at a First Watt J2 clone.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:18 pm »
My custom made 2A3 - 45 convertible SET monoblocks with Tango output iron and vintage UTC power supply tranny... Currently has Mullard Blackburn GZ34 rectifiers, Tung-Sol Round Plate 6SL7 drivers & Sylvania engraved based spring top 2A3's...

Dead silence (deep blackness) at idle & between notes on my 104 dB horns... waited a long time to get amps this quiet & dynamic!

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2012, 12:15 am »
My main amp for the last few years has been a PassDIY ZenV9 that Dan Banquer helped me tweak. It's 10ish watts of pure class A Jfet power. I love it!

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2012, 12:58 am »
I have a couple.
Low wattage:
Audio prism debut ii, triode strapped is 15 watts
Kt88 e-linear sep, 10 watts
Magnavox console pull pp6v6, 11watt

MttBsh

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:13 am »

I use a pair of Sophia Electric 91-01 mono amps that deliver 8 watts from a single ended design with zero global negative feedback. Jeff Day of Positive Feedback (Issue 53, Feb 2011) says they're the best amps he has ever heard.

They sound absolutely amazing, particularly driven by a Dodd DYI preamp.

shooter

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:43 am »
Another Wiesner convertible amp for 10, 50 and 300B with Tango plate chokes and Permalloy output transformers, 2C22 sub for 6J5 as input tube.

doorman

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2012, 03:26 am »
Transcendent Sound CFA