Keith Jarrett Still Hates His Fans

wushuliu

Re: Keith Jarrett Still Hates His Fans
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm »
It's interesting that this kind of complaint would come about for a Jazz concert. This sort of thing has been going on at Rock concerts decades ago, long before cell phones. Sometimes an over-zealous concert goer might throw fireworks at the stage, if they wanted to get the artist's attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b2J9Qevo1E

"Smoke On The Water" was inspired by the Flare Gun at the Montreux incident, but I think there are better ways for the audience to participate. :?

Concerts have become absurdly expensive, and people have this entitlement mentality....I payed my money, so I can do whatever I want. Well, so did the guy next to you, stupid.

It's become more and more selfish as we have more and more distractions from actual real life shared experience. That's the irony. Distracted by cell phones, tweets, pics, etc. and the dynamics of social networking, but lacking the social skills and decency necessary to have a 'real' shared experience.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jul 2013, 11:04 pm »
If I only had a dollar
For ev´ry song I´ve sung
And ev´ry time I had to play
While people sat there drunk
You know, I´d catch the next train
Back to where I live
Oh ! Lord, I´m stuck in a Lodi again
Oh ! Lord, I´m stuck in a Lodi again

Oh sorry - the JAZZ circle........

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #42 on: 13 Jul 2013, 11:36 pm »
It's become more and more selfish as we have more and more distractions from actual real life shared experience. That's the irony. Distracted by cell phones, tweets, pics, etc. and the dynamics of social networking, but lacking the social skills and decency necessary to have a 'real' shared experience.

+1!  It's one thing if the whole place is rockin' as the geezers were at a Moody Blues show in STL a few years back.  Kinda funny, actually, but it was at least shared.   :lol:

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:40 am »
Well then here's an idea for you. Don't go to the concert. Just get a DVD. Saves the hassle of holding a phone up and you can gab away all you want and ignore what's on to your heart's content. How's that for adapting. Leave the rest of us troglodytes for live experience. Win-win.

I didn't say it, you just did!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jul 2013, 12:44 am »
KJ play too many notes, so many people think he is a genious.
I never consider buy a KJ CD or even listen him on YT why I had better piano music to listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_gwPDgodU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSnBWumgg4

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #45 on: 20 Jul 2013, 01:04 am »
Too many notes???? Hmmmm, I've heard the same critique of Mozart. 
I play piano a bit, and enjoy KJ in moderate doses.  The guy is talented.

firedog

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:00 am »
Suggestion: Let's not turn this into a debate thread about the talent/musical quality of Jarrett

lcrim

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jul 2013, 11:58 am »
I'm not sure how to express this, but while you do have a  right to express youe opinion, couldn't it at least be clever or amusing.
Fullrangeman, ok we get it, you don't like Keith Jarrett.  Please give it a rest.

Larry

lcrim

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jul 2013, 03:02 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean to cut off any discussion re: lack of civility by audiences or whether KJ is overly sensitive to poor audience etiquette or whatever.  Just got tired of the same old, same old from the same member.

Larry

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jul 2013, 04:03 pm »
And here I thought this topic was all about bashing KJ!  :lol:

On a tangent re: concert etiquette - was at a Phish concert last weekend and thankfully virtually no cell phone camera waving idiots.  Maybe that was because I was so far back in the lawn section folks didn't bother. On the other hand, the teen behind me who was zonked out of his mind kept falling over on me or trying to get me to check out the moon, but I guess that's par for the course at a Phish concert...........

watercourse

« Reply #50 on: 20 Jul 2013, 04:18 pm »
Saw Prince twice last year, and at both concerts, at one point he told the audience "Stop tweeting, stop texting, BE HERE NOW!" Yes, the full house was flashing constantly as cellphones took pics to post on FB, etc. Have to admit I took some photos too, the stage was phenomenal.

I'd sh*t myself if I ever got a chance to see the likes of KJ, Herbie Hancock, and all the other remaining Jazz artists that demand hundreds of bucks a ticket. There isn't much time left to see them, I've missed out on a lot of the masters because of my age. That said, I'd be pissed if I paid that amount and couldn't see the show, even if I got a full refund. Mostly because of the missed chance.

Funny how at classical performances I've been to at the SF Symphony, ushers offer cough drops to the audience, no noise is tolerated as is announced prior to the performance, you can't come back in until the intermission, etc. And yes, these patrons pay top dollar, have to wait outside til the next break.

I guess some musicians and performances deserve more respect than others? Nope. Audiences today need to do just what Prince told them, and put their gadgets away and quit effing it up for everyone else. Whooping and hollering and connecting with other members in the audience is just as good as posting on FB, last I checked. Except it's real and right in front of you.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #51 on: 20 Jul 2013, 04:59 pm »
Bjork has been making the same request and for the same reasons at shows. It's a curious phenomenon, this immortalizing experiences via recording them at the expense of actually experiencing them. It's as if no one trusts their own memory anymore. Mind you, they won't have any actual memories of events other than fumbling with their iPhones... :scratch: If the only way you're going to experience an event is through the recorded version after the fact, why not save your money and stay home. Just watch it on YouTube. No need to actually connect with the experience while it's unfolding, right? You know...experience it?

Splendid isolation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxBHpYlDOfw

D.D.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jul 2013, 05:16 pm »
In the days of my youth, when my friends and I caught as many concerts as we could, cameras of any kind were not allowed into the venue. If a camera was seen in the crowd, a corresponding Pass was hanging around the photographer's neck. It seems to me that offended artists could simply write a "no cell phone, no camera" clause into their appearance contract. That tack, of course, comes with its own can of worms, but KJ seems like his own worst enemy, to me.

jhm731

« Reply #53 on: 20 Jul 2013, 05:33 pm »
Many years ago before cell phones, I saw KJ at the Village Vanguard, it was during the winter and a number people got into a coughing thing. He stopped playing and led the crowd in a group cough. Everyone coughed and laughed and he went on to blow us away with a wonderful performance with two encores.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #54 on: 20 Jul 2013, 05:54 pm »
Bjork has been making the same request and for the same reasons at shows. It's a curious phenomenon, this immortalizing experiences via recording them at the expense of actually experiencing them. It's as if no one trusts their own memory anymore. Mind you, they won't have any actual memories of events other than fumbling with their iPhones... :scratch: If the only way you're going to experience an event is through the recorded version after the fact, why not save your money and stay home. Just watch it on YouTube. No need to actually connect with the experience while it's unfolding, right? You know...experience it?

Splendid isolation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxBHpYlDOfw

D.D.

So true : don't understand why folks feel if they don't photograph something - particularly with them in the photo - it's as if they were never there. I have been heavily into photography, and still I can't understand this phenomenon.  Guess it says something philosophical about people's state of mind or something. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:09 pm »
I have been heavily into photography, and still I can't understand this phenomenon. 

Same here.   :scratch:

galyons

« Reply #56 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:32 pm »
If you listen to  sociologists, it is a generational thing.  Millennial's have a need to share everything and the smart phone is the tool of choice, obviously.  The experience is not real if not shared with one's vast cyber-friends network.  There is no real time joy of the moment.

Of course YMMV,
Cheers,
Geary

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #57 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:50 pm »
If you listen to  sociologists, it is a generational thing.  Millennial's have a need to share everything and the smart phone is the tool of choice, obviously.  The experience is not real if not shared with one's vast cyber-friends network.  There is no real time joy of the moment.

Of course YMMV,
Cheers,
Geary

Wise observation. At what point does sharing just turn into narcissism?  The smart phone seems like the perfect tool for that as well.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #58 on: 20 Jul 2013, 07:56 pm »
I'm not sure how to express this, but while you do have a  right to express youe opinion, couldn't it at least be clever or amusing.
Fullrangeman, ok we get it, you don't like Keith Jarrett.  Please give it a rest.

Larry
OK, sorry for the critic sir.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #59 on: 20 Jul 2013, 08:55 pm »
This is the world we live in now; it is diversified and technological. ...Adapt!

Never ask anything from anyone, but just give yourself totally and freely, and with all your love.

Artists/actors are commodities, prostitutes of their own genre; be it live or in studios or onscreen.
- The best ones are the truly genuinely giving ones; in spirit, in physicality, from their heart, and from their soul.

No one person is or has the key to heaven; it is the totality that makes the key to heaven & hell, and back.
The true talent is love's appreciation & communication, and it's in all of us. ...From various mediums.

* Accept the world as it is now with all your heart & soul, or criticize it with all your spirit and verve.
Just be alive, not dead!

** And remember; any judgement or discontentment towards others is a reflection of ourselves and the principles/values (laws, conditioning, jails, systems, ...) we created. ...And those have to be constantly reevaluated to properly reflect the world we live in now.

But man is so weak that that'll be the day!

Keith Jarrett, Prince, Bjork, ... etc.; they too have to evolve, adapt, and grow up, just like all the rest of us.

And that, is my own