Receptacles

imassarano

Re: Receptacles
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2014, 06:11 am »
That Furutech FPX(Cu) looks very interesting, thanks :D.

Off topic: Dave, do you export to outside the US?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:13 pm »
Sure, I can send a package anywhere.  :)

imassarano

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:33 pm »
:thumb:

beowulf

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2014, 10:57 pm »
Hi Dave, the SurgeX looks pretty interesting.  I've never thought about hot rodding one, although I can see the point of it for sure.  Can you expand on what type of conditioning and/or filtration that it uses (i.e. passive, etc.).  Also is there a reason for sequencing over just surge/filtration?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2014, 02:37 am »
Hi, The SurgeX units have a patented surge protection device in them, as well as emi/rfi filtering. The newer ones also have inrush current limiting and under/over voltage shutdown. Theres a link to the surgex site in post 7.

The SEQs offer sequential start-up / shut-down with 3 banks of receptacles plus an always on bank. It's best to turn on sources and preamps before amps so the amp doesnt amplify turn-on thump. Not all units I'm getting offer sequencing. The SEQ has a cool screen to monitor voltage too...  :D

For hot rodding I'll also be replacing wire with upocc copper and using Furutech gold plated copper push-connectors / disconnects. I will replace the electrolytic caps but otherwise they will be stock. And of course receptacles and IEC inlets...

beowulf

« Reply #25 on: 3 Sep 2014, 12:52 am »

P.s. The Shunyata ZR1 + Levitron MRI are just ok - they do the job better than a $1 hardware one.  I'd go Levitron MRI or Oyaide.

@ jarcher - were the Shunyata the model SR-Z1 Outlets?  I've seen these listing for about $85, not a bad price, but if they weren't that great of an improvement over your other ones than I'll hold out for a better one since I only need one for my wall outlet anyways.

@ Dave - Do you think that you could offer this as an option piece/concept?  Lets say that this has 8 outlets, could someone choose 2 top of the line outlets for their best components and then possibly lower grade ones for the other outlets he needs?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2014, 01:58 am »
Hi beowulf, For sure, I am thinking of replacing 2 of the receptacles (they are duplex receptacles, so they have 2 places to plug in) in the non-sequential units and 3 in the sequential ones standard and leaving the stock ones in place beyond that unless someone needs a different arrangement. The stock receptacles are ok... standard spec grade units, maybe $3-4 at Home Depot.

It's taking a while to get some of the parts I need in, but they will be ready soon!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 3 Sep 2014, 02:50 am »
@ jarcher - were the Shunyata the model SR-Z1 Outlets?  I've seen these listing for about $85, not a bad price, but if they weren't that great of an improvement over your other ones than I'll hold out for a better one since I only need one for my wall outlet anyways.

Yes - the Z1's.  Hard to A-B receptacles - as they were part of a new build for my dedicated AV basement room.  So don't have a "stock" receptacle experience to compare them.

If you're going for a high end 2 channel stereo system, I'd spend the extra $ for Oyaide or Furutech.  If it's just for a AV system or mid-fi, I'd get the PS Audio Power Port 2 special at Music Direct vs the Shunyata:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7420-ps-audio-power-port-classic.aspx?source=igodigital&

If you're interested in Oyaide or Furutech, PM me as I can direct you to a good priced source.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2014, 07:31 pm »
jarcher, I can also provide good pricing on Furutech receptacles.  :wink:

After more research I am going with 2 receptacles for the SurgeX project:

Furutech FPX(Cu), which is unplated phosphor bronze. At a full retail of $70 you are getting A LOT of receptacle and these are a much better choice than the various hospital grade receptacles. They have a firm grip but not a death grip on the plug, and the way the contacts clamp the male plug does not result in scratching or wear, where hospital grade plugs will definitely wear through plating, even if it's not plated scratching the male plug will lead to increase rates of oxidation. Furutech's phosphor bronze is an excellent sounding conductor as well... I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. It's an excellent choice for this receptacle as pure copper raises the price A LOT... which leads to:

Furutech GTX(R), which is rhodium plated pure copper with a stainless steel spring to provide the needed tension/clamping force. The build quality on these is spectacular. Enough has been said about this receptacle already, if the price is within your budget I think these are as good as it gets.

I think these two are the best choice at a reasonable price and regardless of price, respectively.

xsb7244

« Reply #29 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:45 pm »
I think the DaveC113 SurgeX project is a great idea.  Every audiophile needs surge protection.  Generally speaking, there are no high end
surge protection.  That is to say, Dave will turn a more than adequate SurgeX into a no compromise best materiel used surge protection.
There are a lot of expensive systems out there.  The SurgeX project will be the one to get.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:59 pm »
Thanks xsb, things are going well... I'm not quite ready to start a thread and announce it formally yet... but I have had one powering my system for the last couple weeks and things are looking sounding very good.  :green:  I have a plan for 2 levels of upgrades based on the Furutech FPX(Cu) and GTX(R) receptacles, the higher level will also come with one of my PL11 UPOCC copper litz power cables with Furutech 20A IEC plug and gold plated pure copper AC plug.

It took longer than I thought to accumulate all the necessary parts, there are a lot of parts and quite a bit of labor needed to do this but I'm happy it's progressing and I also think this will be a great option for power distribution given the features the modded SurgeX units provide, which are unique in the world of high end audio!

xsb7244

« Reply #31 on: 20 Oct 2014, 06:27 pm »
DaveC113,

I know you have a great interest in dacs so I mentioned because of John Swenson the quality of the Bottlehead DAC.  Please see The Discless Circle for my thread on this subject.

beowulf

« Reply #32 on: 21 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm »
DaveC113,

I know you have a great interest in dacs so I mentioned because of John Swenson the quality of the Bottlehead DAC.  Please see The Discless Circle for my thread on this subject.

I would have to agree, I see Surge protection as a great peace of mind in our A/V investment.  This seems to be one of the best based surge protection methods I've read about.  Top it off with hot-rodded parts and performance, this should be a winner ... so whens the tour start? :lol:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:13 pm »
I'm pretty close with the SurgeX, I want to make sure it's thoroughly tested. I have a couple of them built and running right now, one with the GTX receptacles and UPOCC copper wiring, and one with the PCX receptacles and stock wiring, but in both of them I replaced well over a dozen steel push connectors with gold-plated copper and they both got new electrolytic capacitors.

One thing that caused a hold-up was the long break in of the Furutech receptacles, I rigged up a way to get them on my cable burner so it should eliminate this issue, but the rhodium plated GTX receptacles take a LONG TIME to break in!

Also, footers make a huge difference so they will probably come with 2 sets of footers to help tune the SurgeX to match the system it's in.

Finally, I am thinking of a wood stand that would hold the SurgeX vertically, in that configuration it could be placed behind an equipment rack rather than in the rack.

xsb, thanks for the heads-up on the Bottlehead DAC thread, another one of my customers has been waiting for it to become available too, it seems this DAC has a following before it was done!

xsb7244

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:28 pm »
To go with the Bottlehead DAC, you can't go wrong with one of the best the vicol audio diy Shiga MKII CD transport.

werd

« Reply #35 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:35 pm »
I think the DaveC113 SurgeX project is a great idea.  Every audiophile needs surge protection.  Generally speaking, there are no high end
surge protection.  That is to say, Dave will turn a more than adequate SurgeX into a no compromise best materiel used surge protection.
There are a lot of expensive systems out there.  The SurgeX project will be the one to get.

You are not going to get surge protection without nerfing dynamics. Unless you put it ahead of a decent transformer conditioner.  How stiff is the power where you guys live? If your.lights never dim then you probably don't need a surge protector outside thunderstorms and outages.

I would like to try the Furutech receptacles.  Using a Furutech fuse and connectors. All together bet you would be pretty good.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #36 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:51 pm »
werd, you get surges all the time from all sorts of things, including appliances inside your own house. Lightning striking withing a mile or so will cause a significant surge. They also filter emi/rfi, which makes a really big difference in some cases.

As far as dynamics, they are completely unaffected. The surge device in the SurgeX is patented, not MOV based, and the unit was designed for industrial A/V applications. Their customers include NASA, Carnegie Hall, Yankee Stadium and more. This is absolutely the best power distribution box that includes surge protection.

It was used at RMAF 2014 in the Von Schweikert room that won best of show awards, so it's been tested in some very good systems. When this is finalized I think people are going to be very happy with the performance of the SurgeX.

The Furutech GTX receptacles are pretty awesome, well worth it imo.   :thumb:

werd

« Reply #37 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:30 pm »
I get the Lightning strikes (and not any surge protector is going to protect against lightning hitting you're house and grounding out through your house supply)  Thats actually kind of funny people sell that. But if it hits the local transformer it might. Up here fridges, stoves all appliances are not a threat because Sask Energy gives a good 120v. It doesn't deviate at all. No deviation no surges. So if you got good power why use a surge protector?  Lots of Lightning and the power keeps going out I would probably get something. Saves me from unplugging every time a storm shows up.

What's this non magnetic stuff in the receptacles you are talking about?  Sounds interesting.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:44 pm »
Yup, if you get a direct strike nothing is going to help, but SurgeX has found that nearby strikes generate a maximum of 6000V surges and it'll protect against that. Also, you do get surges every time your fridge, washer or dryer starts or stops. Lightning even very far from your house will cause surges. I'm not making this up and the big customers like NASA and Carnegie Hall aren't going to buy these things if they thought they weren't necessary.

We all have a lot of cash invested in our equipment, and the surge protection in SurgeX devices is the best on the market, you also get emi/rfi filtering, inrush current limiting and under/over voltage shutdown. With the addition of Furutech receptacles, electrolytic caps replaced/upgraded, steel connectors upgraded to Furutech, Neotech UPOCC copper wire, mounting for the receptacles in the chassis is upgraded, and more... you'll be getting the best choice for powering your audio system. There's nothing else like it on the market.

sfox7076

« Reply #39 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:35 pm »
I don't worry so much about lightning hitting the grid where I am.  I doubt Carniege Hall does either.  The strike would have to pick Carniege Hall over the tons of skyscrapers that encircle it.  I imagine they are more worried about the old NYC grid failing or faltering.