A semi-custom short floorstander

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
A semi-custom short floorstander
« on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:29 am »
Thought I might post a shot of a semi-custom floorstander I recently did.  The requirements were wide sweet spot with long wall placement, up against the wall, and fairly close to the corners - so fairly generous boundary reinforcement was anticipated. 

And if you're thinking "those look like they could go in the corner", yes they could.  We'd just use a little bit longer port. 

Dimensions are 36" tall by 17" wide by 17" deep, 8 ohms, 93 dB, and extension well down into the 30's when placed properly.   The inputs and port are on the bottom, so it's a very clean-looking speaker from most angles.  Well, except for the grille - not shown, but you can see the sockets.  I hate doing grilles, but will if it's what the wife insists on.  The grille is why the drivers aren't flush-mounted - they nest nicely in their respective cut-outs in the grille frame if they're surface-mounted like that.

That's the Eminence Definimax 3012HO woofer, if anyone's interested.  Yes the voice coil is the same diameter as the dustcap - four inches.  That much voice coil (along with its 600 watts thermal power handling) is theoretically overkill for this application, but I really like that woofer, as it has virtually unlimited dynamics in a home audio application. 

« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2013, 09:14 am by Duke »

kgcdc

Re: Semi-custom short floorstander
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:30 am »
They're like a miniature version of my Prismas, which I'm still loving very much.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: Semi-custom short floorstander
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:22 pm »
They're like a miniature version of my Prismas, which I'm still loving very much.

Yup, the Prisma/Rhythm Prism series was obviously the inspiration!  Given the expectation of strong boundary reinforcement to help out the low end, I was able to shrink the box size somewhat.   

Glad your Prismas are still earning your love!

Duke