Battery Power for WTA?

doak

Battery Power for WTA?
« on: 11 Jul 2013, 04:02 pm »
Anyone using battery power to supply the motor on a WTA or other WTL TT?

I've been using this PS successfully for about 2 years on my WTA:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=120-536

I'm curious about the possible benefits of using something like this:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=140-368

with a charger to top it up between listening sessions:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-008

Informed/experienced advice/opinions preferred, please.   :wink:

Doak

SteevA

Re: Battery Power for WTA?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2013, 09:38 pm »
Never tried it. Not sure it would be necessary but still a good thing to try, even if just to tick off the list, if you could borrow one.

If it came to spending money without first trying I think I would spend it elsewhere first.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:10 am »
I do know Firebaugh did it for a while when he was putting the table thru its paces.  No sonic improvement said he.
You might google Charles Altman, who had those battery powered amps and DAC's.  We tried it once, no big whoo there, either.

doak

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:23 am »
Thanks guys.   :thumb:

bung99

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2013, 06:12 am »
 I have been running my dynavector P-57 mkII & my Amadeus GT on battery since day one as do not like switching power supplies in the line.
I can't say there is any improvement but all I know there are less noise makers in my power system so this must help. 

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2013, 02:13 pm »
That all depends on so many things- your home power box, your area of the country, etc.
I have a dedicated line- works wonders.
Plus you are the perfect candidate for a WTL DPS.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:11 pm »
I second Charlie's (Threadkiller) view here. I installed a seperate circuit from my consumer unit to feed my hifi and it brought a worthy improvement.
 I've also just just put made my own a mains block from an existing block and some plywood sections. It is fed with a JPS AC+ power cable which I had doing nothing. The block has 5 sockets which are star fed live, neutral and earth. I:E each socket is fed back to a cooker socket which receives the mains from an IEC socket and all  the earths baxk to a copper threaded earth bolt. This configuration is a big improvement over the radial design you would normally find. I would say 50% of the sound improvement the dedicated circuit gave.

Charisma12

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2013, 06:37 pm »
I compared a battery power supply to the stock power supply of the Amadues GTA and did not hear any difference. But the DPS really made a noticeable improvement. The sound became more pure and the noise level went down so that more low level information could be heard.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013, 06:09 pm by Charisma12 »

watercourse

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2013, 09:28 pm »
As long as the batteries provide enough juice on demand, why would one assume that a DPS or any other scheme is better? Or worse, for that matter?

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2013, 09:40 pm »
Follow along, please. I suggested it in his particular case since the DPS will power both his P75 and table motor.  I'm too lazy to be charging batteries all the time.

watercourse

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2013, 09:55 pm »
If you read the Bung99's post, he is saying he doesn't like "switching" aka switch-mode power supplies in his system. I think you interpreted his post to mean he doesn't like to switch batteries, which is not how I'm reading it.

I'm asking for an explanation of how you arrived at your conclusion about different power supply approaches from a sound quality standpoint, assuming that there is some listening behind it. But I guess the DPS could be considered more convenient, although I don't think so really, and wouldn't necessarily buy it for that reason. Now if it could switch between 33 and 45 without changing the belt, now that would be worth it.

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2013, 10:26 pm »
I understood his post. 
And yes, conclusions were drawn on various power supplies.  As long as your power source is clean you wont notice much change. The Dps makes far more sense to me as far as less cords if one were using a p75 as well, and it yields better results musically than all the wall warts we've tried.  Plus from using for a while the Altman DAC, (big battery powered) the DPS is far far more convenient and hassle free.
Yes, it would be nice if the DPS could switch speeds, but then it would be a different animal altogether and cost a lot more, say like a Rega external power supply.

watercourse

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm »
I've also had battery-powered preamps and amps, and can attest to how the lowered noise floor can be an unequivocally good thing. But I haven't tried it on the Simplex, which is why I believe that the OP was asking, as the motor seems to invite experimentation. I am curious too, as the cost is fairly insignificant, or at least significantly less than the DPS.

I've also had an outboard PS for previous tables (Rega), and can also attest to the benefit something like the DPS might bring. I haven't seen most people here in this Circle say that the DPS was unequivocally better than the supplied wall wart, even allowing for the different countries that opinions have come from. And since one of the most striking things about the Simplex noticeable to me on first play is its low noise floor, I can see why it might only be an incremental benefit. I also haven't seen much in the way of literature or descriptions of the DPS: is it also an SMPS, but highly filtered?

So, given a choice between getting a dedicated line and having battery power, the dedicated line is of course more convenient. However, being in a rental situation, there is no way I would invest in someone else's electrical system. Plus, the cost is not insignificant even if I owned my own place.

So, given all the options, like the OP I would also like to hear from folks (and this is likely a tall order) who may have compared a battery-powered WT table vs. a DPS-powered table, from the sound quality standpoint.