Simplex with Koetsu?

ncblue

Simplex with Koetsu?
« on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:12 am »
Would I be crazy to mount a Koetsu Sky Blue on a Simplex? I have sold my Rega P9 and need a more affordable table at the moment. At the end of the summer, I may purchase another big boy table (Amadeus GTA, Rega RP8 or RP10,and VPI Classic are the leading contenders).  But I need to spin some vinyl now and can stretch to buy the Simplex (or maybe a used Amadeus) now. If anyone has experience with the Well tempered s with Koetsu, I would like to hear your impressions. Thanks in advance!

roscoeiii

Re: Simplex with Koetsu?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:19 am »
I haven't run a Koetsu on a Well Tempered table, but I don't think it is a crazy combo.  Go for it.

SteevA

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:27 am »
I don't think you would be crazy. 

The arm on the Simplex is sort of a cross between the arm on the WTA and the arm on the Versalex, both of which would be well up to the best cartridge you could find.

Of course its bigger brothers both have ‘better’ plinths underneath, so could be expected to produce a better result, but I doubt the Simplex will disappoint as an interim solution.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:20 am »
Don't know if it's crazy, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Koetsu needs a higher mass arm.

ncblue

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:27 pm »
Thanks for the replays guys. What would be an example of a high mass arm?

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:37 pm »
If you don't have a local Well Tempered dealer, you might also want to check in with Mike Pranka about this pairing. He has always been very helpful when I have called.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2013, 07:08 pm »
Lol.  I just did...I got corrected... Due to the great damping of the arm, told it should work fine.
I just don't think you put a $5k cartridge on an under $2k table...maybe he got it cheap.

SteevA

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2013, 08:06 pm »
Lol.  I just did...I got corrected... Due to the great damping of the arm, told it should work fine.
I just don't think you put a $5k cartridge on an under $2k table...maybe he got it cheap.
However, since he already has the cartridge (I presume) and is apparently looking at the Simplex as an interim solution, using his already owned cartridge on the Simplex would seem more economical that buying a new cartridge for it.

Buying such a cartridge specifically to mount on a Simplex would be a different matter.

Steve

ncblue

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2013, 08:26 pm »
Yes, I already own the cartridge. It is sitting in a box next to my rig and can't play my vinyl at the moment. I'm exploring my options as I can't afford the big table until summertime being unemployed at the moment. Would love to find a slightly used Amadeus, but they don't seem to be around. I need to find out the closest Well Tempered dealer to the Outer Banks.

vortrex

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2013, 08:41 pm »
there was just a really cheap, almost new, Amadeus on audiogon this week, but it sold.  it was in NC too.  for some reason, there have been quite a few on there lately.

ncblue

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:07 pm »
Saw that one. Missed the boat, already sold when I looked. :(

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm »
I know the sad tale of the Amadeus on Audiogon that was from St Louis.
Poor guy had to liquidate everything due to financial ruin. Very sad. Hated to part with his table more than anything.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2013, 12:59 am »
I could most definitely hang with a VPI and a Koetsu.  Can't say that I've heard anything about the model you listed, however.  Suppose I'd have to hang with my old Black :)