Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Dhananjeyan

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #140 on: 9 Apr 2020, 12:31 am »
Hi Dhananjeyan,

It's difficult to tell in the photo but does it appear to be coming loose? That piece is an extension of the rubber surround and is glued to the frame. If it's coming unglued I would contact Danny and have him replace it or you can try gluing it yourself. If it is coming loose then it is a factory defect.

Please post photos of your speakers during the build and when finished. Would love to see them.  :D
Hello,
I have contacted Danny about this he said it shouldn't be an issue but if it visually bothers me he will replace it. I will probably get it replaced but can't atm because of coronavirus. I will defantely post photos when i am done with building these i am about to get started on one of them.
Thank You,
Dhananjeyan

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #141 on: 9 Apr 2020, 12:38 am »
hello sonicjoy may I ask how you made sure all of the angles on the pieces when glueing were exact? also how precisely did all the pieces align up with the front baffle? were they exact or was there a slight dip or extension past the front baffle?
Thank You,
Dhananjeyan

Sonicjoy

« Reply #142 on: 9 Apr 2020, 01:51 am »
 I started with the baffle, one side and the bottom. Those 3 parts will be easy to get squared up. Just align the edges carefully. Once that section is dry you can add the back. Again align the edges and clamp it up. After that is dry then you can fit the 2 top ramp pieces. Refer back to my photos to see how I did it. Once that part is done you can glue the other side on. You can use a square (tool) or one of your other parts to check for squareness.

I made sure all the parts fit perfectly before assembly but I made them myself so I had control over that. Do test fit the parts to see how they fit. You can clamp them together dry to see how it all fits. If there are edges that stick out proud of the others a bit you can use a sander or if you don't have one you can get some sandpaper and a block of wood and make a sanding block with some 100 grit or maybe 80 grit paper to sand them flush. It is normal to have to do this when building boxes and things. (After the box is assembled of course.)

A tip for clamping: Get a couple of blocks like scraps of 2x4 maybe 12" long and put them under the side panel to elevate it off the work surface so you can have room for the clamps. Or if you have saw horses they work good also. In my case I used my table with the holes but the blocks will allow you to do the same thing. Again check my photos.

Good luck and have fun! You can do it.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #143 on: 17 Apr 2020, 12:50 pm »
I placed an order for the Studio Monitor kit yesterday and will use your thread as a sort of guide. You've inspired me to build these and look forward to the end result!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #144 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:32 pm »
Hey great news Tomy2Tone! I'm sure you will enjoy them and hopefully the build process as well.

Do you have a shop to work in? Woodworking experience?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #145 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:22 pm »
I was planning to order mine today or Monday, but gotta love the timing for finding out a routine repair is actually major front end overhaul..
So I it's guess back to waiting til summer for meee!  :D

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #146 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:33 pm »
Hey great news Tomy2Tone! I'm sure you will enjoy them and hopefully the build process as well.

Do you have a shop to work in? Woodworking experience?

I work with a guy who has a shop and can make all the cuts for me and clamp everything together. I will do the finishing and at the moment am thinking of doing a walnut cabinet with light walnut stain and white front baffle. I remember you saying you went back and forth on other options for yours, what other finishes did you consider? Yours turned out so good I'm tempted to just do the same but kinda want to do something different.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #147 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:55 pm »
I thought about all black as the easiest rout but my dad didn't want black. Also thought about maple veneer with black baffle and grill. You could do a white grill to go with the white baffle. All kinds of color options. Also thought about veneering the whole thing but doing the round edges of the baffle was more work than I wanted to do. Black with wood sides is a classic look that works well so that's why I decided to go that way.

One idea that I like is one that Jay (Captainhemo) and I talked about is to make the side panels and the back panel the same height as the baffle and then recess the grill into the top so that when viewed from the side you don't see the edge of the grill, you only see it from the top. That would be a cleaner look I think. He is thinking of making some that way. Maybe the flat pack kits will end up being done that way.

That is the beauty of DYI, each person can do something a little different and unique.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #148 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:57 pm »
I was planning to order mine today or Monday, but gotta love the timing for finding out a routine repair is actually major front end overhaul..
So I it's guess back to waiting til summer for meee!  :D

I assume you mean on your car? Damn! Don't you hate when life gets in the way of your hobbies? Did you get your PS Audio Sprout yet?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #149 on: 17 Apr 2020, 03:22 pm »
Yeahhh.. lol Of all the times it could have happened, at least it came after I got my stimulus check. Haha
But it'll help me buy some time to save up cash & buy a better one in the future.

Not yet, it'll be arriving tomorrow tho! The NJ warehouse was running a skeleton crew, so it took 3 weeks to finally ship.
In the meantime, ill try it out with my dads Speakers & current monitors to see how it compares to my Grace SDAC/Amp.

Might also work towards getting the tools ill need, just depends on the final cost of the flatpack..

Captainhemo

« Reply #150 on: 17 Apr 2020, 03:55 pm »

One idea that I like is one that Jay (Captainhemo) and I talked about is to make the side panels and the back panel the same height as the baffle and then recess the grill into the top so that when viewed from the side you don't see the edge of the grill, you only see it from the top. That would be a cleaner look I think. He is thinking of making some that way. Maybe the flat pack kits will end up being done that way.

That is the beauty of DYI, each person can do something a little different and unique.

Yes, that is how  we  designed them  originally and is the plan for flat packs... if guys wanted to have the grills show at the top,  they cold always slice off the  rabbet (grill recess) cut around the top of the panels.
jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #151 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:06 pm »
If you're going to paint the front of the speaker white, I'd suggest making the grill cloth white too. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #152 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:48 pm »
I'd vote for lighter gray over white, eap something with an "Alcantara" style texture would work really nicely, tbh.
My plan is currently matte black/walnut. With a small section of grill cloth between the tweeter and waveguide.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2020, 06:50 pm by Hobbsmeerkat »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #153 on: 17 Apr 2020, 06:30 pm »
The new Elac Debut Reference cabinets is the look I kinda have in mind depending on what wood I go with. I will have the rest of the cabinet walls the same height as the baffle.

PZ

« Reply #154 on: 22 Apr 2020, 12:59 am »
Hell All,
I'm new too AudioCircle, just recently learned about GR Research and the NX Studio Speakers.
Sonicjoy's NX Studio's look great and I bet they sound even better!

I'm interested in the NX Studio's. Any recommendations on Integrated Amp, or AMP & DAC to pair with these for a 12’X12’ home office?

Amps and DAC’s I've looked into that have a small footprint for a desktop:
DAC - RME ADI 2 Dac FS, or Mytek Brooklyn DAC
AMP - Mytek Brooklyn Amp or the XTZ Edge A2-300 power amp

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #155 on: 22 Apr 2020, 03:49 am »
I got myself a PS-Audio Sprout 100 that will eventually be used for my NX-Studios once the time comes to build them. And even tho I've only used it for my Sennheiser HD6XX and $200 pair of powered Samson RXA5 monitors, I'm super happy with it. It beats out everything I've tried thus far. (Its honestly not been much outside of consumer/budget gear) for its simplicity & ease of use, I definitely recommend it!
My previous DAC/Amp was previously the Grace Designs DAC/amp combo, and I thought it was great for $200. Leagues better than my PC or phone's integrated solutions for sure. The Sprout takes things up to a whole nother level, esp in clarity & soundstage. Plus it's all in one box. Separates do often have their own advantages and faults, depending on your preferences towards cable & space management.

My room is 10'x12' so im not to far off from your room size as well.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #156 on: 22 Apr 2020, 02:50 pm »
 Hi PZ.

I can't offer an amp recommendation other than to get the best quality you can. The Studio's will never likely be the limiting factor in your system, they are that good. You might consider a small tube integrated amp as well. There are many good ones out there. Even low power ones will work fine in the near field listening situation of a desk top.

Also I hope you have a very large desk as these are not small speakers. If you can raise them up off the desk top it will help as will moving them away from the wall as far as possible. Moving them away from the room boundaries (including desk top/floor) will improve imaging, sound stage and tonal performance. (That goes for most speakers.) I tried them on the floor tilted up and myself sitting on the floor in a near field set up and did not like what that did to the upper bass tonality. I get the best performance using them in a more traditional setting on stands well out into the room like in my photos earlier in this thread.

This is not to say that they won't be good on the desk top it's just to say that they will be at their best on stands in a more traditional listening setup.

PZ

« Reply #157 on: 22 Apr 2020, 08:23 pm »
Hobbsmeerkat:
Thanks for your input, I'll look into the PS-Audio Sprout 100.
I reached out to Dan @ GR and he also got me interested in the chip amp. Anybody using this?
The Mytek Brooklyn Amp I mentioned Ive been looking at is 8 Ohm - dual mono 2 x 250 W. Is there any benefit to this many watts? or am I looking at diminishing returns?
https://mytekdigital.com/professional/products/brooklyn-amp/

Sonicjoy:
I agree with your recommendation, "get the best quality Amp you can."
My desk is large, but I'm sure the NX Studio's will be overboard.

Where can I find drawings with dimensions?

Any other speakers I should consider for this application?

Originally I was set on Keff LS50 or SVS Ulta's but when I found out about GR Research I changed course.
I like the idea of having the best sounding speakers and flexibility to use in other applications.

Approximately how much time did you put into building the NX Studio's? 
Did you add any upgrades?

PZ

« Reply #158 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:31 am »
I decided to pull the trigger and ordered the Studio Monitor kit from Danny. If mine turnout half as nice as Sonicjoy's, I'll be happy!!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #159 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:32 am »
I decided to pull the trigger and ordered the Studio Monitor kit from Danny. If mine turnout half as nice as Sonicjoy's, I'll be happy!!

+1