Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Sonicjoy

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #120 on: 28 Mar 2020, 08:44 pm »
I have been going back and adding construction tips (look for the Edits:) to the photo sections of the thread to help those who are building their own. So keep checking back for more.

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #121 on: 1 Apr 2020, 08:44 pm »
Hello,
thank you for the reply. I plan on finishing the MDF by applying a polyurethane sealer and then painting it white on top of that. Yeah, I made sure to get the ramp and the other small piece the ramp connects to in 1/2 inch MDF.
Thank You,
Dhananjeyan
Natarajan

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #122 on: 1 Apr 2020, 11:49 pm »
Hello everyone,
i have recieved my nx studio kit but one of the drivers rubber membrane "the one connecting the diaphram to the plastic" looks wonky. should i be worried? the other driver looks perfectly normal.

« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2020, 06:19 am by Dhananjeyan »

dman2k6

« Reply #123 on: 2 Apr 2020, 03:08 am »
The material utilized in this transducer is to reduce resonance. The material can be trusted.

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #124 on: 2 Apr 2020, 06:26 am »
The material utilized in this transducer is to reduce resonance. The material can be trusted.
im not talking about the plastic framme but the rubber between the diaphram and the plastic case it looks uneven and wonky but every picture i see online and on my other driver it is even?
Thank You

Sonicjoy

« Reply #125 on: 2 Apr 2020, 12:50 pm »
Hi Dhananjeyan,

It's difficult to tell in the photo but does it appear to be coming loose? That piece is an extension of the rubber surround and is glued to the frame. If it's coming unglued I would contact Danny and have him replace it or you can try gluing it yourself. If it is coming loose then it is a factory defect.

Please post photos of your speakers during the build and when finished. Would love to see them.  :D 

mkrawcz

« Reply #126 on: 3 Apr 2020, 10:14 pm »
Thanks Tyson! I am hoping I will like them. Danny told me not to be surprised if I like them better than the Emerald Physics. That would be a surprise because I love the sound of the EP's Best speakers I have owned.
It will be interesting to hear the difference. The NX-Studio has open baffle tweeter but not mid range and the EP's have open baffle mid and bass but not the tweeters. Looking forward to the comparison. Your impressions of these are one of the main reasons I decided to try them.

I'd like to offer up a blunt comparison between the NX-Studios and other speakers I have. I own a pair a Focal Electra 1038be2. Speakers that I once regarded as among the best sounding speakers one could purchase for under $15k. The NX-Studios absolutely steamroll them in pretty much every category, except bass obviously (tower vs monitor).

Sonicjoy

« Reply #127 on: 4 Apr 2020, 02:53 pm »
mkrawcz,

Thanks for your observations. I looked up those Focal's and they are highly rated.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. It's becoming clear that many (maybe most) speaker manufacturers building to price points put more emphasis on cosmetics and fancy cabinet's than on using high quality parts and sound design. Those Focal's seem to be a good example of that. Though I have not heard them but have seen them around for years.

Also AC member Maty has been posting photos of several popular speakers crossovers and it's quite telling that most use pretty cheap parts which supports this notion.

Even my Emerald Physics EP 2.7's which the current version of retails for $10,000. use pretty cheap parts in the crossovers. Danny made new ones for mine so I didn't get to see the originals but I take his word for it. They sound great but still are not quite as smooth and the Studio's. And that's born out in the spectral decay plots of both speakers. In fact I keep coming back to the word "smooth" when thinking about the overall sound of the Studio's. There are no area's that jump out at you. Everything is even and images are very stable, it's quite remarkable! I swear I hear sounds behind me quite often. It seems like that illusion is increasing as they continue to break in. I probably have 300 hours on them now or more.

How many hours do you have on yours?

I am envious of your PS Audio BHK amps. Out of my price range but I'm sure they take the Studio's to an even higher level than what I am hearing with my Emerald Physics 100.2 SE pair running as mono blocks fed by a Wyred 4 Sound STPre with stage 2 factory upgrades. It's a hybrid passive/active preamp with a resistor ladder volume control. It's likely better than the EP amps.

Or even the Rogue Pharaoh integrated that will be powering them in my dads new system. It has a tube preamp section with class D Hypex output section. Surprisingly the two systems sound remarkably similar. I get a slight edge in imaging and sound stage depth with my system likely because  of the use of mono amps (better separation). but not as big a difference as I expected. That Rogue is a nice unit!

I have been a fan of Vandersteen speakers for years. I still have my 3a Signature's and pair of 2wq sub's. The sub's are currently supporting the NX-Studio's and is a fantastic combo! Vandersteen's have always been noted for being a great value as they use high quality parts and don't put lot's of expensive bling on the cabinet's.   

I'm glad you are liking the Studio's. The more I listen to them the more I'm am in awe of them. Just spectacular!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 4 Apr 2020, 05:01 pm »
Y'all are killing me.. haha
But it's only making me more excited for what's to come when I get to building my own in the coming months once things get to be less volatile, and supply chains return to normal.
Esp since I'm going from a pair of active Samson RXA5s monitos that I got for $100ea. so I don't really know what I'm missing. But, pairing the NX-Studios with a Sprout 100, is probably going to ruin me for a long time... (Or at least until I build myself a pair of Oticas Haha)

That doesn't even include the $40 Logitech Z4 2.1 setup I've used for probably 12+ years now.. haha
But once this is all said & done, I know I will be handsomely rewarded for my patience!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #129 on: 4 Apr 2020, 05:15 pm »
But once this is all said & done, I know I will be handsomely rewarded for my patience!

That you will!!    :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #130 on: 4 Apr 2020, 08:28 pm »
So Hobbs if you are not used to good imaging and sound staging due to your systems limitations here is an interesting story and maybe something to keep in mind.

There was a post on the AudioGon forum awhile back and a guy had just got a system that had good imaging for the first time. He thought something was wrong with his new setup because the sound was no longer all connected together and coming from the speakers and seemed to be coming from all over the place. After some back and forth with others it turns out he was hearing imaging for the first time.  He was asking for advice on how to put the music back together. I got a good laugh at that!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #131 on: 4 Apr 2020, 09:27 pm »
Thats wild! I'd probably be in the same shoes if i hadn't taken steps to learn first!
Luckily, I do at least understand the concepts behind soundstage & imaging, & thankfully my current monitors do a pretty decent, even crammed up against the walls on either side of a 32" display thanks to the added clarity of folded ribbon/AMT tweeters, it was a huge step up over my Logitech setup which didn't do more than stereo separation, but is good enough for background music, and still better than most modern sound bars, if I'm honest.

And having a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XXs have done a pretty good job of allowing me to understand how imaging works, esp when im in the dark.
Listening to Led Zepplin's live recording of "No Quarter" late one night, was my first real experience with hearing really good imaging in a recording. I could hear the band members move about the stage as if i was standing between the drums and lead microphone.
It definitely was a really freaky, almost out-of-body, experience the first time I became aware of it. Its really what, sparked my journey deeper into hi-fi beyond just *decent* sound, it makes the experience a joy to get lost in.

My initial look into speakers lead me to the RP600M as my best option, thanks to Steve Guttenberg. And then I found Ron at NRD, shortly before Danny began his mods of the RP600Ms, starting me on a whole nother rabbit hole into Danny, GR-Research and speakers in general.. haha

So here I am now, getting my ducks in a row, pouring through build logs, planning, and saving up. and hearing y'all praise them up and down is killing me, but its just building my anticipation!

Danny Richie

« Reply #132 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:39 pm »
im not talking about the plastic framme but the rubber between the diaphram and the plastic case it looks uneven and wonky but every picture i see online and on my other driver it is even?
Thank You

It was tested before going out, but I did not notice the visual issue. If it bothers you send it back and I'll swap it for another one.

Danny Richie

« Reply #133 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:41 pm »
I'd like to offer up a blunt comparison between the NX-Studios and other speakers I have. I own a pair a Focal Electra 1038be2. Speakers that I once regarded as among the best sounding speakers one could purchase for under $15k. The NX-Studios absolutely steamroll them in pretty much every category, except bass obviously (tower vs monitor).

Thanks.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #134 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:49 pm »

Wow!  :thumb: :thumb:

Chilkoot

« Reply #135 on: 5 Apr 2020, 05:51 pm »
Is anyone developing a full flat-pack kit for the monitors?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #136 on: 5 Apr 2020, 05:53 pm »

Yep, when I called them the best bookshelf speakers in the world right now, I was NOT kidding :D.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #137 on: 5 Apr 2020, 06:07 pm »
Is anyone developing a full flat-pack kit for the monitors?

+1

assembled in Canada would be nice too.  :D

Sonicjoy

« Reply #138 on: 5 Apr 2020, 06:12 pm »
Jay (Captainhemo) said he will be getting to them soon. He has a couple others he is trying to get finished first.

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #139 on: 9 Apr 2020, 12:29 am »
It was tested before going out, but I did not notice the visual issue. If it bothers you send it back and I'll swap it for another one.
Yeah I will I remember emailing this to you and you said the same thing I had posted this around the same time. I am currently not allowed to receive anything else through the mail that is why I am not doing it at the moment but I will as soon as this whole coronavirus situation ends.
thank you,
Dhananjeyan
Natarajan