Xbox games must have list

JackStraw

« on: 21 Jan 2003, 03:12 am »
Help me out here, folks. I'm getting an Xbox, probably one of the kits that come with Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future. But, I'll need a couple of other choice titles. I don't want to bury myself in software, since I'll have limited time for this venture anyway. I'm thinking that I need...

NFL2K3
Splinter Cell
and probably also NHL2K3.

So, hit me with some advice on these choices and other possibilities.

Oh yeah, I've heard great things about MechAssault, but I don't think that I'll be doing Xbox Live, so I'll opt out.

ZooDog

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2003, 04:03 am »
Halo is THE must have game for xbox.  It is really incredible and the multiplayer is addictive.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2003, 06:53 am »
You don't need Live to play MechAssault. I'm sure it still kicks @$$ w/out Live.

I just picked up a 'box myself today. Got one of the "Special Edition" sets w/JSRF & GT 2002 and the Controller S. I was thrilled more about the controller more than the games. I didn't much care for JSRF when I'd seen it played before. And after playing GT 2002 I don't much care for it. I preferred the old Sega GT that I'd played in the arcades. GT 2002 is more of a racing simulator (like GT is), and not a racing game. And I don't much care for racing simulators. I'd rather have fun & it not be "100% real", like in the Rush series.

JackStraw

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2003, 10:56 am »
Quote from: bubba966
You don't need Live to play MechAssault. I'm sure it still kicks @$$ w/out Live.

I was going from the reviews at www.gamespot.com, where they said that the real draw for Mechassault was online play. I checked out reviews for JSRF and Sega GT 2002, they liked 'em both -- not the best games available but really pretty good.

JackStraw

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2003, 10:59 am »
Quote from: ZooDog
Halo is THE must have game for xbox.  It is really incredible and the multiplayer is addictive.

Thanks for the reco. I've heard that... maybe that's a good substitute for Splinter Cell on my list. It's too bad that it's still $50 ~1.5 yrs after intro. I suppose that means that it's good. Halo 2 is set to drop in 10/03.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2003, 07:17 am »
Halo is definitely worth the $50. Very quality game & the DD sound is excellent. It's even better if you've got a DD Surround EX setup. :thumb:

Haven't picked up my copy of MechAssault yet so I can't comment on it.

LordCloud

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2003, 01:36 pm »
Do not replace Splinter Cell!  Halo and Splinter Cell are two of, in not the best games you can buy now for any system.  Halo is without a doubt in my mind the best game you can buy. And Splinter Cell is right there behind it.  Salma Hayek's naked body couldn't persuade me to part with my copies, just kidding, that's about the only thing!

bob82274

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2003, 05:58 pm »
Don't get me started on Halo.  We just got it and it is occupying a serious amount of our time.  I have spent many a hour playing it as one of my good friends has a copy but this is the first time that I have had a copy available to me at all times.  We played from 3:30-12:00 yesterday with only a two hour break to go bowling.  Sad isn't it. :oops:

House de Kris

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2003, 06:35 pm »
Yes, very sad.  It is sad that you felt bowling was an acceptable alternative to Halo.

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2003, 03:42 am »
Quote from: JackStraw
Quote from: bubba966

I was going from the reviews at www.gamespot.com, where they said that the real draw for Mechassault was online play. I checked out reviews for JSRF and Sega GT 2002, they liked 'em both -- not the best games available but really pretty good.

Still don't have Live!, so I can't comment on the online play for MechAssault. Got MA a week ago and the Single player kept me at my 'box for 3 days straight. I'd say it's as good, if not better than Halo for single player enjoyment. And the LFE is insane. It'll keep your sub (or subs) going... :mrgreen:

Played GT2002 a bit more in between Halo & MechAssault. I still don't really care for it too much. Once you get enough cheese to have a decent pimped out car it's much better. But it still doesn't do it for me. If you like the whole Gran Turismo sort of racing simulator then you'll love it. Me, I'd rather be playing one of the Rush series or Ridge Racer 4.