Super V question: Connection to an old receiver?

SoCalWJS

Super V question: Connection to an old receiver?
« on: 20 Sep 2015, 06:00 pm »
I am still in the process of getting things moved and hooked up and finally got the Super V's to the new house. Thought I could hook them up to an old receiver temporarily until a few other things come together (long story). I knew the Plate amps had speaker wire binding posts on them and thought they were In/Out with the xover in the amp taking care of which frequencies were sent to the P-Audio driver. I was surprised to look closely and see that these appear to just be "high level" inputs, no outputs.

Is there a way to hook the Super V's up to an old receiver that just has speaker wire output?

Captainhemo

Re: Super V question: Connection to an old receiver?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2015, 06:44 pm »
Could you not parallel the speaker level outs from the receiver or does it have A/B front speakers than can be run simutaneously ? One set to the  SuperV- c/o, one set to the high level inputs on the A370's   :scratch:

jay

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2015, 08:55 pm »
Could you not parallel the speaker level outs from the receiver or does it have A/B front speakers than can be run simutaneously ? One set to the  SuperV- c/o, one set to the high level inputs on the A370's   :scratch:

jay
It's a thought, but 2 concerns.

What happens to the impedance, and

Don't want to send a full range signal to the P-Audio driver.

Not sure, but it might work temporarily (as long as I don't blow up the receiver) because I doubt I would listen at a high enough volume to be a concern to the top end.

Might be worth a shot.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2015, 08:58 pm »
If the receiver has a tape monitor, as most of them did, you should be able to use the "tape out" to the inputs of the servo amp.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2015, 09:04 pm »
If the receiver has a tape monitor, as most of them did, you should be able to use the "tape out" to the inputs of the servo amp.

Tape monitor outputs are usually fixed level and will not vary with volume control as they would need to.

Steve

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2015, 09:23 pm »
Tape monitor outputs are usually fixed level and will not vary with volume control as they would need to.

Steve
Good point.  Forgot about that.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2015, 11:13 pm »
Follow up question - do I need to be worried about an impedance drop to the receiver? I'm not sure what kind of load the plate amp for the Super V sees from the high level inputs.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2015, 12:36 am »
I had a similar issue with my speakers. They are Wedgies, not Super-V's but the principle is the same. I have done the parallel wire hook up to the speaker binding posts, one pair of speaker wires had banana plugs and went to the speakers while the other pair of speaker wires had spade connectors and went to the high level inputs of the A370PEQ.

Worked fine and did not cause any damage to the receiver.  However, I did have to send a full range signal (speakers set to Large) otherwise there would not have been anything for the sub. 

I have not been able to come up with a way to simultaneously send a filtered signal to the mid/tweeter and full range signal to the sub from either a receiver or integrated amp. I have only been able to make it work with separate preamp and power amp.

I don't know how the P-Audio driver in the Super-V works but the Wedgies have a natural roll off at 200Hz so sending them a full range signal is no big deal as long as I don't try and blow the walls down. I ran the Wedgies with the speaker wires parallel and with a full range signal for six months before I got separates and was able to filter the signal to the Wedgies and still get a full range signal to the subs while having a common master volume control. It didn't hurt either the speakers or the receiver.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2015, 03:55 am »
It's a thought, but 2 concerns.

What happens to the impedance, and

Don't want to send a full range signal to the P-Audio driver.

Not sure, but it might work temporarily (as long as I don't blow up the receiver) because I doubt I would listen at a high enough volume to be a concern to the top end.

Might be worth a shot.

Prettty sure you'll be fine  paralleling to the A370PEQ's  (imnpedence wise).
Do the Super V c/o's not  limit what is passe to the   P-Audio driver ? ... ie Are the Super V's not typically connected  via  normal speaker  outputs and then a line love out  to each  sub amp ?

The other  option which may be possible (depnding how old that reciever is ), is there a LFE output  with a manually adjustable crossover point in the reciever ?  You could split the LFE to each A370..... You wouldn't get  stereo  bass but it would get you   going  until   you come up with a different solution  If you set the mains  to "samll" in the reciever config, only  the frequency above what you  can set the c/o at would be passed to the P-Audio driver.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2015, 07:20 pm »
I am still in the process of getting things moved and hooked up and finally got the Super V's to the new house. Thought I could hook them up to an old receiver temporarily until a few other things come together (long story). I knew the Plate amps had speaker wire binding posts on them and thought they were In/Out with the xover in the amp taking care of which frequencies were sent to the P-Audio driver. I was surprised to look closely and see that these appear to just be "high level" inputs, no outputs.

Is there a way to hook the Super V's up to an old receiver that just has speaker wire output?

I made sure Brian didn't include speaker level in's and out's on the plate amps. If you see or have any plate amps that have speaker level in's and out's, don't use the speaker level out's. All they do (typically) is add a 100uF electrolytic capacitor to the signal path. And that ruins the sound quality of the main speakers.

You can just parallel the output from your receiver to drive both the upper Super-V section and the plate amp via speaker level inputs. And yes it will send a full range signal to your Super-V's. That's okay. They'll handle it pretty well. The impedance of the woofer at Fs is really high and it really minimizes cone movement. They are a little more susceptible in the 20Hz to 40Hz range though as the impedance drops back down in that range. But if they are not being driven hard they are still fine handling the full range signal.

Paralleling the A370 amp will not cause any impedance issues for the receiver.

You might have to pull the crossover point on the Super-V back to around or a little less than 90Hz on the dial to get a smooth blend. Just play with it a little and listen carefully. They will not be hard to adjust.   

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2015, 10:30 pm »
I made sure Brian didn't include speaker level in's and out's on the plate amps. If you see or have any plate amps that have speaker level in's and out's, don't use the speaker level out's. All they do (typically) is add a 100uF electrolytic capacitor to the signal path. And that ruins the sound quality of the main speakers.

You can just parallel the output from your receiver to drive both the upper Super-V section and the plate amp via speaker level inputs. And yes it will send a full range signal to your Super-V's. That's okay. They'll handle it pretty well. The impedance of the woofer at Fs is really high and it really minimizes cone movement. They are a little more susceptible in the 20Hz to 40Hz range though as the impedance drops back down in that range. But if they are not being driven hard they are still fine handling the full range signal.

Paralleling the A370 amp will not cause any impedance issues for the receiver.

You might have to pull the crossover point on the Super-V back to around or a little less than 90Hz on the dial to get a smooth blend. Just play with it a little and listen carefully. They will not be hard to adjust.   
Thanks Danny! I'll give it a shot and see how they sound in the room. Less than ideal situation, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

rockdrummer

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:05 am »
I know some people are trying in-line filters to ease the load on amps that run tops like the super v or the wedgie.  But as I read this thread it seems that usually people don't send a full signal to the tops? Can someone help me understand why I am surprised?  I certainly could have been way misinformed too.
Anyway, interesting thread.
Thanks.
ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2015, 04:35 am »
Ben,

Using the Wedgies as the example:

As I understand it, since the Wedgies have a natural roll off at 200Hz, frequencies below 80Hz would not be heard even if a full range signal is sent to them. However, just because you can't hear those frequencies, the drivers still have to deal with them.

By filtering out the frequencies below 80Hz the drivers don't have to deal with the energy associated with these frequencies. By not having to deal with this low frequency energy, the drivers can handle more power for the frequencies they can reproduce. This means they can play louder and cleaner.

So while the filters (whether inline or EQ'd) are not necessary, using them allows the speakers to perform at their best.

Mike

rockdrummer

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2015, 09:47 pm »
Thanks Mike.   :thumb:

So as I read the thread it seemed to me that the concern was that a full range signal could damage the tops.  Is that true?    :?

I know the full signal makes amps work harder than they need to (if they aren't sending to a full range speaker) and that the sound quality would be better if you could keep lows off a speaker that wasn't capable anyway.

I was planning on using a small tube amp to run the tops, and split the signal to the bottoms.  Thus, the tops would be getting a full signal.  Do most people do that, or are we supposed to get inline filters for safety as much as quality?

Ben     :)

ebag4

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:15 pm »
Thanks Mike.   :thumb:

So as I read the thread it seemed to me that the concern was that a full range signal could damage the tops.  Is that true?    :?

I know the full signal makes amps work harder than they need to (if they aren't sending to a full range speaker) and that the sound quality would be better if you could keep lows off a speaker that wasn't capable anyway.

I was planning on using a small tube amp to run the tops, and split the signal to the bottoms.  Thus, the tops would be getting a full signal.  Do most people do that, or are we supposed to get inline filters for safety as much as quality?

Ben     :)
Hi Ben,
No worries for your speakers or amp if you choose not to hi pass the amp.  I ran my V1 tops from my Steromour for years "thinking" I was hi passing by using a cap in series with the low level signal feeding the Bottlehead.  It turned out the value of cap I was using was hi passing at something like 5Hz, not helping at all.  With the V1 or SuperV it should be no issue at all running them without hi passing even at high power levels (within reason), I believe those P-Audio drivers are built to handle it, however with the Wedgie you might do some damage if you are running too much power at high listening levels.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2015, 12:01 am »
Though I have had my Wedgies hitting 102dB at the listening position 8 ft away (just to see what they could do) without a high pass filter and did not do any damage to the drivers.

rockdrummer

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2015, 03:10 am »
Thanks much guys. 

Ben