Cornwall III - Worth a listen?

rockadanny

Cornwall III - Worth a listen?
« on: 2 Jan 2019, 11:05 pm »
Not sure if I should spend the time auditioning these ...

I've read that these, on the scale from lo-fi to hi-fi, are no better than mid-fi.

I've read these need to be 3' from the back and side walls. My room is a smidge over 12' wide, and these speakers are over 2' wide each, so they'd be approx 2' apart from one another. Not much room for stereo imaging.

I did hear these one time in a very large room and was surprised that I did not hear the usual horn coloration I've heard on so many other horn speakers, which is why I am considering going to listen to them in a more controlled environment (they had the bass boosted, which was a bad idea), playing my music.

Any thoughts?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Cornwall III - Worth a listen?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2019, 11:10 pm »
In these multiways speakers I would favor floorstanding bass reflex two ways with a simpler xover, that not easy to find, usually the xover is a fully setup.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm by FullRangeMan »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2019, 11:49 pm »
Heard the Cornwall II's in a big open bookstore 18 years ago... and stood mesmerized listening some unknown- Eva Cassidy's Woodstock.  I remember it like it was yesterday. 
 I'd say they were worth a listen. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2019, 12:00 am »
I'd like to hear them, but in your room the Forte III might work better. I have the Quartets, sound great, vocals and live presence are impressive. You really need about  minimum 10 ft. listening distance for them to sound their best imo.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2019, 12:08 am »
Nothing against a free listening, but for purchase I could option for a used RF-83, I remember Blair Lamphear saying geting great results with a 0,75W 1626 SE amp.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2019, 12:30 am »
... and my room is just over 20' long, so
20.125' L x 12.67' W x 7.10' H

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2019, 12:45 am »
Definitely go give them a listen. Few months back I went and listened to some Heresy III’s and I was amazed at what I heard. Lifelike dynamics and just a full on engaging experience. They were just such a fun speaker to listen to I was leaning on getting a pair myself but ended up getting another Kilpsch speaker in the Pro series 396-sma-II. I love them. I wish I would have heard the Heritage/Pro Klipsch speakers years ago and saved money and time from bouncing around but it makes me appreciate the Klipsch all the more now.

If you’re local here in the Phoenix area there’s a guy who has the CW3 for sale for a great price. If you’re not local and listen to them and want to get a new pair let me know and I’ll give you some info that helped me out.

In case you haven’t seen this...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-klipsch-cornwall-iii-speaker-review-by-steve-huff/

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2019, 12:55 am »
Thank you for the link! Nice review. And his room is only 12x13!?  Hmm ...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2019, 01:05 am »
Thank you for the link! Nice review. And his room is only 12x13!?  Hmm ...

Trying to remember if you’re one of the guys here that has the audio mirror set amps? If so I think they would kick ass with these or any of the mentioned Klipsch speakers here. I’m using an 845 set amp with mine and love it. Would love to hear more low watt tube amps down the road.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Cornwall III
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2019, 01:06 am »
Klipsch says:
The Cornwall III derives its name from being the first Klipsch loudspeaker designed to operate from either a corner or against a wall (corn/wall). The Cornwall III is an excellent combination of wide frequency response, low distortion, and high power output. Within the Heritage series, only the legendary Klipschorn offers more extended bass response than the Cornwall III.

So what's the freakin problem?

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2019, 01:56 am »
designed to operate from either a corner or against a wall (corn/wall).
So what's the freakin problem?

Apparently, my reading comprehension for one.  :lol:

rockadanny

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2019, 01:57 am »
Yes Tommy2Tone. I have a pair of the Audio Mirror 45 Watt SETs, which apparently would be near 43 watts of overkill  :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2019, 02:09 am »
Yes Tommy2Tone. I have a pair of the Audio Mirror 45 Watt SETs, which apparently would be near 43 watts of overkill  ;)
Meh, when I was young, my brother and I had Klipschorns and a Marantz 300DC amp (150 side) - just crank 'em. No problem.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2019, 06:40 am »
For years I've hated every speaker I heard from Klipsch.  Until this year.  Heard the Forte III at RMAF and it was one of the best rooms I heard at the entire show.  Not sure what they did on this latest iteration but they have definitely tamed the horn screech I used to hear from them.  Great sounding speaker. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2019, 12:40 pm »
Certainly it was not the Forte 12/15'' woofers basket, its yet cheap steel plate.

walkern

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2019, 03:43 pm »
I'm in agreement with Tyson.  Try out the Forte III speakers.  They will fit better in your room and have a more even and balanced sound (with less horn screech) than older models.

guf

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2019, 03:52 pm »
I'll share....sort of on the topic

I took the advice from a respected member and picked up a pair of Hersey IIIs just to try out.I was skeptic because they are so gen pop and we here on AC are more boutique and underground. But frankly I love them. Like all the reviews say they are a really fun speaker. Not the end all in detail and refinement but very enjoyable. As I get my front end system dialed in over the years i can throw most quality speakers at them and enjoy.

I'd love to try any thing from Klipsch Heritage.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2019, 11:12 pm by guf »

rockadanny

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2019, 04:04 pm »
Thanks y'all for the helpful replies. FYI - I contacted Steve Huff (review link above) and he said his Corns are placed 2' from back wall and only 10" from side walls, slight toe-in, and he sits about 7'-8' away, with wonderful results (as stated in his review). Think I'll go listen to the Forte III and Cornwall III tomorrow.

doorman

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2019, 06:49 pm »
Having listened to a number of Klipsch speakers from back in the day, incl. the Cornwall’s, Heresey 2’s, and the original Klipschorn, they can present dynamics that are really impressive, and some pretty involving music too.
YMMV, of course, but I’d give ‘em a listen

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2019, 06:55 pm »
... and my room is just over 20' long, so
20.125' L x 12.67' W x 7.10' H

A perfect room for Maggies.

charles