MagnaPan

johnspain

MagnaPan
« on: 4 Feb 2020, 09:19 pm »
I have been an audiophile for 40 years and would like to find out more about tweaks for Magneplaner 1.7

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: MagnaPan
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2020, 12:26 am »
Welcome John :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2020, 12:39 am »
I hope this thread gets some traction as I just recently obtained a pair of 1.7s and would like to hear what others have done.

Something I've done  was run a piece of solid copper wire from the input side of the fuse to the tweeter input as an easy way to bypass both the fuse, and the tweeter jumper bar.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2020, 12:43 am »
Ask away in the Planar Circle.
In the right sized room they're just magic.
The only thing I did was add a subwoofer.

srb

Re: Magnepan Magneplanar Tweaks
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2020, 12:57 am »
Magnepan Magneplanar

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:04 am »
The fuse is mandatory?
Someone run maggies without the fuse?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:12 am »
The fuse isn't mandatory. I bypassed the fuse when I had mine without issue.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:15 am »
Check out OCD Hifi guy on youtube . He recently discussed this subject in one of his videos recently . He strongly recommends getting the fuse out of the way for one uprade . He had a couple more . He thinks you are only hearing 60% of what they are capable of when using the fuse and binding posts .

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:16 am »
Welcome!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:26 am »
Check out OCD Hifi guy on youtube . He recently discussed this subject in one of his videos recently . He strongly recommends getting the fuse out of the way for one uprade . He had a couple more . He thinks you are only hearing 60% of what they are capable of when using the fuse and binding posts .

I bypassed the fuse and the jumper after watching the OCD hifi guy. He sells a kit for $49 that will bypass the fuse and swap the jumper out for a higher quality jumper. I figured why not just bypass the whole lot with a simple, high-quality wire. Almost free. 8)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:38 am »
The fuse are to the tweeter only?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2020, 02:17 am »
The FUSE is a risk mitigation device.
Of you remove the fuse. You ADD the risk of DAMAGING the SPEAKER.. (maybe)
So the risk is yours to take. just the op should be aware of the increased risk involved.
IE can you afford the cost of repair if it all goes wrong???????

That being said, yes most Magnepans do sound better with the fuse bypassed. And some folks (have reportedly...) blow up their Maggies even with the fuse in place...

My two cents to the op >>> as a NEW Magnepan owner, do NOT remove or bypass the fuses in any way for at least a year. In that time.. if you never blow a fuse.. (NEVER) then maybe if you are willing to take on the risk,... than you can do it.
I had taken out the midrange fuse on my 3.6 after owning then for several years. When I bought new 20.7s I waited for nine months to do the midrange fuse removal.. Since I had already do the mods to the very similar 3.6 I had.

A different consideration is hte resistor.. THe midrange resistor is NOT for lowering the sound volume.. It IS to change the TONE of the midrange. Adding the resistor deepens the tone. Changing it to a slightly higher value will increase the effect. lowering the value will brighten the tone.
This iall withing 0.5 ohms to 2 ohms...
After a lot of experimenting I settled on 1.3 ohms for myself on my 20.7 Magnepans.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2020, 11:11 pm »
You could look into the Mye stands out of Canada.  I put a one on each of my Magnepan DWMs.  The purpose is to keep the Maggies from flexing.  There is another fellow back east named Gunn, he uses selected, aged hardwood, on the whole frame.  The Gunns are expensive and beautiful to look at.  There are some more products that do the same thing.  Either site will explain the reasons for a stiffer frame in greater detail.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2020, 01:52 pm »
How is the DWM sound compared to a regular cone woofer?

dwmaggie

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2020, 08:27 pm »
FRM,

Better definition, more transparent, still no cone slam.  The limited range 40 to 200hz, would seem an odd choice, however it augments the smaller Maggies right in the range they lack oomph.  I crossover at 40hz to a swarm of subs, this pressurizes and puts some slam back in.  I've had 12 inch woofs move my pants legs rapidly, with other cone speakers.  My musician friends find the clarity between drum bass and plucked or bowed bass to be much improved.  The DWMs use two coils per unit-mine are set up one is in series, the other parallel, can't decide which is better yet.  200 wpc dedicated to each.  Down side took my budget 3 years to buy the second one.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2020, 11:54 pm »
Thanks bro for the detailed report.

dwmaggie

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2020, 02:51 am »
FRM you are more than welcome. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2020, 01:58 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC John   :thumb: