Hobbs NX-Studio Build

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #160 on: 24 Mar 2021, 05:48 pm »
Man, if its not one thing with these, its another..  :duh:

Just finished the touch-ups, brought it inside to dry, but I guess I set it in a unstable position... Aaaaand it fell and got digned pretty bad in the bottom corner pretty bad...  The image below is after using some filler to patch the cracks/dents

Time to fix this one i guess... :roll:

JWCoffman

« Reply #161 on: 24 Mar 2021, 05:58 pm »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

That stinks.
Hopefully it's easy enough to fill and patch without too much drama.

jonsk2514

« Reply #162 on: 24 Mar 2021, 06:04 pm »
 :o

Sorry to see this has happened...

At least it appears to be fixable...
That was a huge fear I had whenever I was moving my X-MTMs around during their build.  At about 45# each, something would have been a mess...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #163 on: 24 Mar 2021, 06:29 pm »
Yeah, luckily it was a pretty easy fix. It's not 100% perfect, but its already looking passable. At least it didn't affect the veneer! :lol:

JWCoffman

« Reply #164 on: 24 Mar 2021, 06:44 pm »
:o

Sorry to see this has happened...

At least it appears to be fixable...
That was a huge fear I had whenever I was moving my X-MTMs around during their build.  At about 45# each, something would have been a mess...
I'm actually getting pretty concerned about that with mine.  Right now the braces provide really nice grab bars for moving them around, once the front baffles go on things will get tougher.  I'm probably going to cut a shallow handhold into the bottom with a router to give myself a more secure handhold once those go on.

jonsk2514

« Reply #165 on: 24 Mar 2021, 07:06 pm »
I'm actually getting pretty concerned about that with mine.  Right now the braces provide really nice grab bars for moving them around, once the front baffles go on things will get tougher.  I'm probably going to cut a shallow handhold into the bottom with a router to give myself a more secure handhold once those go on.

I used the holes for the ports as hand holds.  Even after I “cemented” them in they still worked well for that.  The PL adhesive worked great for those. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #166 on: 30 Mar 2021, 10:12 pm »
Got the damaged spot cleaned up, not perfect, but noticable without really looking.
I also coated the black portions in a few layers of shellac to protect the latex paint. So they're both be ready for their lacquer clear coats! :thumb:

As mentioned in a previous post, i was considering going with Danny's Copper caps for them tweeter, circuit, but it looks like there aren't any left, so I decide to get a pair of Miflex copper caps instead. They measure less 0.5% off of the mark, and are perfectly matched, which is about as "perfect" as you can get!  (Not to mention they're currently 25% off! :D )

It'll mean some extra burn in time, but considering the strong reviews of Miflex copper caps, I'm excited to see how these all come together, once the kits are finally ready to ship!

mkrawcz

« Reply #167 on: 30 Mar 2021, 10:30 pm »

As mentioned in a previous post, i was considering going with Danny's Copper caps for them tweeter, circuit, but it looks like there aren't any left, so I decide to get a pair of Miflex copper caps instead. They measure less 0.5% off of the mark, and are perfectly matched, which is about as "perfect" as you can get!  (Not to mention they're currently 25% off! :D )

It'll mean some extra burn in time, but considering the strong reviews of Miflex copper caps, I'm excited to see how these all come together, once the kits are finally ready to ship!
I would try VCAP ODAM for the tweeter. They are probably the best cap out there.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #168 on: 30 Mar 2021, 10:34 pm »
Dude, those are going to sound sooooo nice.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #169 on: 31 Mar 2021, 12:05 am »
They are really coming together nicely Hobbs. Love that red with the black!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #170 on: 31 Mar 2021, 01:31 am »
Thanks! I'm super happy with how they're coming along, esp now that I'm at the last few steps of clearcoat & finally assembly once the kits are ready to go. :P

They were a ton of work and if I were to do it again, there's definitely some things I would do differently/better.

Hopefully, I can have the cabinets finally done in the next couple weeks! :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #171 on: 31 Mar 2021, 02:54 am »
Hey you will forget all the work once you hear them. Those are looking sweet! Won't be long now. :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #172 on: 31 Mar 2021, 08:54 pm »
I don’t think I e ever done a project without coming away with some things I’d do differently.  :lol:

As Sonicjoy said I’m sure the listening will make you forget about that. I enjoy how nice the sound is from my X-static/Voce combo every day, the fact that I built them just adds a little extra satisfaction.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #173 on: 31 Mar 2021, 09:04 pm »
For sure, DIY is an ongoing learning process.

Imo, an adventure is just as much about the journey as it is the destination.
And I have no doubts that these will fulfill that, just as my XLS have thus far!  :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #174 on: 1 Apr 2021, 12:39 am »
Well said Hobbs! Totally agree.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #175 on: 1 Apr 2021, 06:26 pm »
The Miflex caps for the tweeter circuits arrived today!
They're A LOT bigger and heavier than I expected...  :o

Here's one next to a 12oz can of soda..

HYPED!  :thumb:

jonsk2514

« Reply #176 on: 1 Apr 2021, 06:39 pm »
That looks like something that belongs in a power substation...  :o

You might want to consider a slight cabinet internal volume increase to accommodate that thing.  :roll:

JWCoffman

« Reply #177 on: 1 Apr 2021, 07:32 pm »
You may also wish to invest in a third zip tie for that thing, or earthquake straps.  That can't be light considering how heavy a "normal" cap is.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #178 on: 1 Apr 2021, 07:40 pm »
You might want to mount that externally.   :green:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #179 on: 1 Apr 2021, 07:47 pm »
Oh yeah, it's insanely heavy, probably 4-5lbs eazy... lol
They came really well packed, each individually wrapped, in a box, then double wrapped in Fedex bubble packs.

These caps makes Dannys massive laminated iron inductors feel light..  :lol:

I'm not planning on changing the box volume tho. (Too much effort) tho If I was also getting copper caps for the woofer circuit, I'd be doing an external crossover assembly... But I'm happy just sticking with Sonicaps & a miflex bypass. :P