Triple 12" OB H-frames

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #180 on: 20 Jan 2016, 01:30 am »
The two Rythmik Audio HX800XLR3 amps arrived today.

Letting them warm up after the cold soak of the travel and will start wiring them tomorrow.  Going to put them in the boxes from the A370PEQ's from the Super-V's for the servo woofer columns.  Have an idea of how to minimize the wiring length to try.

Captainhemo

« Reply #181 on: 20 Jan 2016, 03:40 am »
Must feel like  Christmas eve when you  were a kid Rich !
Heck, I'm on the other side of the continent and i'm  excited   :lol:

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #182 on: 20 Jan 2016, 04:31 am »
Jay,

Yep!   :D

Just got them in the wood frame boxes from the A370PEQ amps.  Wiring tomorrow!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #183 on: 20 Jan 2016, 04:51 am »
Jay,

Yep!   :D

Just got them in the wood frame boxes from the A370PEQ amps.  Wiring tomorrow!

Those are interesting boxes. Any chance of a couple more pics and details?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #184 on: 20 Jan 2016, 01:53 pm »
They were built for Danny IIRC in 2009 for the pair of Super-V's I have.  The Rythmik Audio A370PEQ and HX800XLR3 are the same dimension plate amp faces for the opening to mount.  The HX800 is deeper, but the case was deeper to start with.

Will take a few more pictures and post, but I have no measurements for them.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #185 on: 21 Jan 2016, 01:20 am »
More servo amp box pics:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #186 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:11 am »
The HX800XLR3 servo amps are wired and running.

Since I am testing balanced input amp designs, decided to put the X-LS speakers on top of the 2x12" for listening trials.  The amps need turn-on relays to protect the planar drivers.  There are turn-on and turn-off thumps connected without the protection circuit.

They sound really good this way!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #187 on: 21 Jan 2016, 06:01 am »
The HX800XLR3 servo amps are wired and running.

Since I am testing balanced input amp designs, decided to put the X-LS speakers on top of the 2x12" for listening trials.  The amps need turn-on relays to protect the planar drivers.  There are turn-on and turn-off thumps connected without the protection circuit.

They sound really good this way!

HAL,

You are having way too much fun right now, I'm pretty sure that's illegal in some U.S. States. Can't wait to hear your impressions when you get them all hooked up!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #188 on: 23 Jan 2016, 05:08 pm »
gregfisk,
The HX800 amps connected to the 2x12" H-Frames sounds very good!  I have played everything from bass drums to pipe organs and as long as I do not go to crazy with level they handle the LF range better than any other subs I have tried.

Time to start working on the second set of 4 H-Frames with the 12" subs from the Super-V's.  Have to pull them from the cabinets and reinstall in the 1x12 H-Frames.

All four of the ChipAmps are working and sounding very good as well.  Need the speaker protection circuit before connecting them to the BG drivers.  Those should come next week depending on the weather.  By then, hope to have the subs installed and wired to the amps.

Hogweed75

« Reply #189 on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:07 pm »
Has anyone built a pair of OB subs to go with Eminent Technology LFT-8b speakers?  Thinking about a pair of triples to go with my ET LFT-8b's.  Room size about 12'X20'.

Danny Richie

« Reply #190 on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:25 pm »
Has anyone built a pair of OB subs to go with Eminent Technology LFT-8b speakers?  Thinking about a pair of triples to go with my ET LFT-8b's.  Room size about 12'X20'.

The flexibility of the servo subs make them pretty easy to cross over to and blend well with anything.

I wonder how low the panels can play in those speakers? If they can play down low enough then it might be possible to cross them straight to the servo subs and omit the lower boxed woofer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #191 on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:33 pm »
The flexibility of the servo subs make them pretty easy to cross over to and blend well with anything.

I wonder how low the panels can play in those speakers? If they can play down low enough then it might be possible to cross them straight to the servo subs and omit the lower boxed woofer.

From the Dagogo review - "The frequency range of the drivers is: woofer 25 – 180 Hz, mid panel 180 Hz – 10 kHz, and tweeter 10 kHz up."

Seems like you could just bypass the woofer entirely and use the (much, much, much) better OB Servo bass to mate with the mid panels directly.  IME box bass is best avoided, especially if the rest of your speaker is OB.  Just matching the radiation patterns between bass and mids/highs ALONE will improve the sound tremendously. 

Hogweed75

« Reply #192 on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:49 pm »
I like your ideas!  And a very easy option to test out since the ET’s have dual binding posts.  I’ve upgraded the crossover parts which was dramatic but bypassing the woofer altogether will definitely be something to try.
Thanks!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #193 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:05 pm »
I've actually been there and done this with these speakers. 

If you're plan is to go OB on the woofers, I would suggest bypassing the sealed woofer at the bottom of the ET's completely, because it kind of sticks out integration-wise if it is left playing.  Keep in mind the planars and the subs will become a little pickier with room placement, even tweeters in versus tweeters out will make a noticeable difference, and I even played with a little tilt back on the planars with good results.

If you want to leave the ET's sealed woofer in play, I know I'm probably going to be the dissenting opinion around here but I would actually recommend a pair of sealed box servo subs, crossed a little lower than going straight from the planar driver to the subs rather than going OB; the ET's sealed woofer was barely playing, but it helped make the handshake between the planars and the subs smoother, as the planars really have a rock bottom of about 180Hz that very sharply drops off at the end where the sealed woofers built in to the speaker made a nice smooth hand off to the subs at that point, and the subs really took on a role that was foundational rather than fundamental to the overall speaker.

Hogweed75

« Reply #194 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:23 pm »
Completely makes sense. Both options.  And excellent info to think about.

Hogweed75

« Reply #195 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:32 pm »
If not using the internal woofer of the ET’s I’m wondering if OB subs can handle (well) covering from 180Hz on down? 
You’re thoughts on using a pair of F12’s to just bring in the bottom end of the ET’s we’re my original thought. If a pair of triples would cover from 180Hz down then this sounds like the best way to go.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #196 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:43 pm »
If not using the internal woofer of the ET’s I’m wondering if OB subs can handle (well) covering from 180Hz on down? 
You’re thoughts on using a pair of F12’s to just bring in the bottom end of the ET’s we’re my original thought. If a pair of triples would cover from 180Hz down then this sounds like the best way to go.

I'm running mine up to 200hz with my Super 7 speakers, works great.

Danny Richie

« Reply #197 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:44 pm »

Easily.

Captainhemo

« Reply #198 on: 4 Jul 2018, 05:55 pm »

As Tyson mentioned, no issues  from 200  and down.  Numerous of Danny's designs have  used them in this situation  (Serenity Acoustics  Line force /  Super 7's, NX Otica MTM, Wedgie, Super v's,  V1's)  :thumb:

jay

Hogweed75

« Reply #199 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:02 pm »
Thanks everyone!
I had initially been looking at a pair of the F12 Rythmik subs to go with the ET LFT-8b’s.  I’ve always loved electrostatic and ribbon speakers and only played slightly years ago with any OB speakers.  Have had Quad’s, etc. I’m a tech for a high end tube mfr. and have built a custom all-out tube preamp and pair of 125W tube mono-block amps w/separate giant PS’s to drive the ET’s.  Of course I’m your typical champagne taste on a beer budget guy but was able to put together a dedicated stereo room.  MY wife calls this my “Drug Room” because she swares my descriptions of listening to music sounds like I’m on on a trip.  Oh wel!  The F12’s seemed like the best bang for the buck but then a few months back started investigating the OB dual subs.  Kept wondering if they would have the punch and authority I was looking for.  It sounds like they probably do but of course once I read up on the triples it sounds like they should more then satisfy me.  Just had not been able to find anyone around me with OB subs to listen to.  I think these forums have convinced me enough to go ahead and order the parts to start the build though.