North Texas in-home auditions

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Re: North Texas in-home auditions
« Reply #60 on: 18 Apr 2017, 07:37 pm »
My family and I are relocating to Allen, TX. Once we're nestled into our new crib, I would like to get together with you guys as well.  :beer:

Shooter, looks like some nice junk judging from your gallery pics.

-Dieter

LordCloud

« Reply #61 on: 18 Apr 2017, 08:07 pm »
Albert's system is a must hear! The Allnic DHT phono stage is amazing!

LordCloud, what speakers are you getting?

I am in the Dallas Design District, listening to all DIY junk! ☺️

It's a spectacular phono preamp.

I'm getting a pair of Tempo Electric EP-1's.

Your "junk" looks damn good (That didn't sound right)! I'd love to come and have a listen. My experience with horns is limited, but I really want to expand my horizons.

LordCloud

« Reply #62 on: 18 Apr 2017, 08:08 pm »

Shooter, looks like some nice junk judging from your gallery pics.

-Dieter

True story

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #63 on: 18 Apr 2017, 08:27 pm »
Yeah - that DIY Junk of Shooter's looks pretty special.

shooter

« Reply #64 on: 18 Apr 2017, 10:06 pm »
Thanks Guys for liking my DIY junks, I am constantly experimenting there are a lot more wires and plywood breadboards in my system now than in the pictures!:D

Dieterle Tool, welcome to the hood! just send me a private message when you are settled.

Lordcloud, So you are getting a pair of Dr. Arther Loesch EP-1s, I am interested in hearing them, I was lucky enough to purchase Dr. Loesch Tango Permalloy transformers before he pass, he told me he is a big fan of the 10" Tannoy drivers but I don't remember which cabinet they were in. Also had a pair of 300B and 50 convertible amps of his design, but now I have modified it from a 3 stage to a 2 stage amp. You are welcome to come for a listen.

LordCloud

« Reply #65 on: 18 Apr 2017, 10:57 pm »
Thanks Guys for liking my DIY junks, I am constantly experimenting there are a lot more wires and plywood breadboards in my system now than in the pictures!:D

Dieterle Tool, welcome to the hood! just send me a private message when you are settled.

Lordcloud, So you are getting a pair of Dr. Arther Loesch EP-1s, I am interested in hearing them, I was lucky enough to purchase Dr. Loesch Tango Permalloy transformers before he pass, he told me he is a big fan of the 10" Tannoy drivers but I don't remember which cabinet they were in. Also had a pair of 300B and 50 convertible amps of his design, but now I have modified it from a 3 stage to a 2 stage amp. You are welcome to come for a listen.

Yep, I am getting the last pair I believe. They're being very slightly modified.

My next amp purchase, which is far down the road, will more than likely be off the tubed variety. Before I got my First Watt F7, I was leaning towards tubes. The Atma Sphere S30.

I'll definitely come and listen. I'll send you a PM.

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #66 on: 19 Apr 2017, 12:19 pm »

Looking forward to it. How is the brick-n-mortar seen in Dallas (man I used to love the smell of new equipment)?

LordCloud, It's gonna take a good tube amp to pull you away from that F7. The EP-1's look intriguing.

-Dieter

shooter

« Reply #67 on: 19 Apr 2017, 01:22 pm »
Dieter, Sorry have not been to any audio store for years, so can't offer any suggestion, we used to have several high end stores but most are gone now.
I prefer going to audio shows to hear new gears. Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas is rather small, happens first weekend in May every years, don't know who is showing this years but always nice to greet old friends and meet new.

LordCloud

« Reply #68 on: 19 Apr 2017, 05:05 pm »
Looking forward to it. How is the brick-n-mortar seen in Dallas (man I used to love the smell of new equipment)?

LordCloud, It's gonna take a good tube amp to pull you away from that F7. The EP-1's look intriguing.

-Dieter

I've been to a few stores here: Hi End Audio in Plano, Audio Concepts in Dallas, and John Fort Audio in Richardson.

Audio Concepts is my least favorite. They're the least hospitable, and you don't get a good feeling being there. Though it's a very nice shop, and their events are great.

The owner of Hi End Audio is really nice, and I liked his shop a lot.

John at John Fort is great. He'll talk music and equipment with you, and let you listen to a bunch of stuff in the store.

Yeah, I think I'll be happy with the F7 for a long while. Probably getting a tube amp in addition to it.

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #69 on: 21 Apr 2017, 01:23 am »
Thx LC, I will check them out as soon as I figure out how to navigate Sam Rayburn and 75. Holy shit!!

-Dieter

LordCloud

« Reply #70 on: 23 Apr 2017, 11:57 pm »
Thx LC, I will check them out as soon as I figure out how to navigate Sam Rayburn and 75. Holy shit!!

-Dieter

You're very welcome.

Yeah, driving around DFW is a bit of a hassle sometimes. I've been here almost three years and I don't know my way around, as well as I'd like to.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 11 May 2017, 05:08 am »
Hello Gents,

While I am not a true B&M, I am in the metroplex and operate out of my home.  My company is AudioThesis and we were at LSAF this year.  There is actually quite a bit of high end shoppage in the area, but many do it like I do to keep overhead low.  Only those who have been in it for 30+ years with established clientele bases can survive the B&M scene.

I do this now full time and you (or anyone else) is always welcome to come over for a listen.  Scheduling is key for me as I have four children at home, but I like nothing more than having a few drinks and listening to music with company.

With that said, I'm already playing the hypocrite and saying I currently can't take any in-home demos.  I need a few weeks to reset my systems and also receive more speakers from Rosso Fiorentino as my demo set did not make it home with me.  After those are received, I am available for demos.  I can do in-home demos for gear of interest as well.

Cheers,

Skip

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #72 on: 11 Dec 2017, 09:58 pm »
Greetings North Texans,

I am somewhat new to the area, (moved in June to Allen, Stacy & Watters) and looking for some help setting up my TT. Although I have a novice grasp for what I am doing, I am having trouble with cartridge alignment and/or resonance issues concerning my suspended floor, audio room. Is there any local aficionados that would be willing to come over and help me out? I would barter a delicious meal and a wee dram of scotch for some guidance.

Sincerely,
Dieter

wyman

« Reply #73 on: 29 Mar 2019, 02:26 am »
I'm in Mansfield. Unfortunately, I'm in an apartment so it might be best to plan for an afternoon.

Front Left: VMPS RM40
Front Right: VMPS RM40
Rear Left: RSL CG25
Rear Right: RSL CG25
Center:  VMPS RM30C
Sub: Monolith 12"

Pre-Pro: Outlaw Audio Model 976
Amp: Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande 5
Disc Player: Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500
Display: LG 55" Oled

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate