Ok, I admit it, analog still sounds better than digital

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I was over my buddy's house yesterday and we listened to his excellent analog setup (details below) and  a Modwright Transporter with NOS 6SN7 TS Round Plates and I have to admit that I preferred the analog rig to the Modwright TP.

Now, the Modwright sounded darn good and in no way was embarrassed or seriously outclassed by the analog rig, but for the first time I heard a sheen or haze with the Modwright.  It was there on any 16/44 music we tried and didn't seem to change with different recordings.   It also didn't have quite the same level of detail and spatial cues as the analog rig.  Again, not huge differences, but certainly audible.

So what was the analog rig?  Well, it is a pretty serious setup consisting of the following gear:

TW ACUSTIC Raven One turntable
Wheaton Tri-planar arm
DYNAVECTOR - DRT XV-1S MC PHONO CARTRIDGE
Manley Steelhead phono stage

Now in fairness, this analog setup is over 5x the cost of the Modwright TP and our intent wasn't to directly compare the two, but rather to see how much digital has improved and closed the gap on analog.  Since I don't own or haven't heard any very expensive digital setups, I don't know what would happen in a comparison of digital and analog front ends at the same price point.

It was a fun afternoon and the regardless of what we used as a source, the music sounded good.

Here are the other major components of the system:

Wilson Sophia 2's speakers
Pass XA 100.5 amps
Pass XP-20 or H20 Fire preamp
Synergistic Research PowerCell 10SE conditioner

George

Wayner

Re: Ok, I admit it, analog still sounds better than digital
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2009, 11:46 pm »
Zybar,

The thing is, see how far down in price you can go with a well set-up analog rig and it will still sound better. Especially on some nice clean orignal stamped LPs. Glad you have seen the light, anyway.

Wayner 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2009, 11:59 pm »
Zybar,

The thing is, see how far down in price you can go with a well set-up analog rig and it will still sound better. Especially on some nice clean orignal stamped LPs. Glad you have seen the light, anyway.

Wayner

Wayner,

Not sure I see that happening any time soon.

While I absolutely enjoyed my friend's analog setup, I am very happy with my digital front end and I am willing to give up a little performance for the significantly better and easier user experience.

Guess my record collection will stay boxed up.

George

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2009, 12:15 am »
Maybe you should sell me your record collection (or send me a list of what you got). It's just a waste to see good vinyl sit doin' nothin'.

Wayner

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2009, 12:31 am »
Maybe you should sell me your record collection (or send me a list of what you got). It's just a waste to see good vinyl sit doin' nothin'.

Wayner

Not a chance - but nice try.

George

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2009, 01:33 am »
I hear ya', George.

I wish I could have my cake and eat it too (ultimate sound quality with convenience of digital).  Alas, it's not to be.

For whatever reason, and those reasons may be debated for perpetuity, vinyl sounds real...like the actual musical event.  No matter what one does to (at least 16/44.1) it never sounds real. 

24/96 and 24/192 with MLP (aka, DVD-A) are a step up and closer to the goal...but fall just short of the standard of vinyl, too :|

It's really much as Wayner said...you need not go to extravagant expenditures to hear vinyl's superior depth, ambiance and detail retrieval.  I've heard it with as little as $1200 invested in table/record cleaning machine/chemicals and cartridge.

John

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2009, 07:18 am »
I hear ya', George.

I wish I could have my cake and eat it too (ultimate sound quality with convenience of digital).  Alas, it's not to be.

For whatever reason, and those reasons may be debated for perpetuity, vinyl sounds real...like the actual musical event.  No matter what one does to (at least 16/44.1) it never sounds real. 

24/96 and 24/192 with MLP (aka, DVD-A) are a step up and closer to the goal...but fall just short of the standard of vinyl, too :|

It's really much as Wayner said...you need not go to extravagant expenditures to hear vinyl's superior depth, ambiance and detail retrieval.  I've heard it with as little as $1200 invested in table/record cleaning machine/chemicals and cartridge.

John

John,

You may be overdrawing your point. Presently vinyl may be the gold standard but digital playback is relatively new and it is not necessarily inherently inferior to vinyl. Presently SOTA digital is far superior to where it was ten years ago therefore it's reasonable to expect it will improve in the future. On the other hand vinyl has been around for a long time and improvements will be harder to come by.Vinyl has its weak points including a relatively high noise floor and the slight deterioration of a record that occurs every time it's played.

I suspect the even 16/44.1 playback will continue to improve with every new generation of DACs. In fact, most people can't even tell the difference between very well executed 16/44.1 and high def. digital.

Also when you say that 16/44.1 never sounds real to your ears but there are others who actually prefer the sound of CDs. So, to some extent, it's a matter of opinion. There are many audiophiles that are switching to digital because they're looking to the future, keeping an open mind and not being stuck in old technology. It will be interesting to see what serious audiophiles will be listening to ten years from now :scratch:.

I'm going to continue to upgrade my vinyl rig and collect records but also attempt to keep my digital playback as close to SOTA as I can afford :).

-Roy

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2009, 11:20 am »
While digital playback has improved with better DACs and the application of them,  vinyl has improved as well with better cartridges and other technologies, tho the progress is slower. There are also improved phono preamps such as my AVA Insight. Vinyl technology is not standing still.

I am waiting for TheChairGuy to get his new VPI Classic turntable and hear his report on the new table. I also agree with John that happiness can be had with a nice Technics DD and a decent cartridge. For those looking for something more vintage, I suggest any of the Empire tables.

Wayner

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2009, 12:28 pm »
...Presently SOTA digital is far superior to where it was ten years ago therefore it's reasonable to expect it will improve in the future...

ten years ago, digital had been greatly improved over what it was at its introduction.  improvements have been miniscule since then, imo.  the only thing that improved is that now decent players that will get close to the best are awailable for reasonable prices.  but, i think this is cuz redbook cd has hit a wall; no more improvements to be gleaned from this mediocre-at-best medium.  if redbook were 24/192 from its inception, there might have been more to get out of it.

my almost ten year old modded dac, hooked up to any decent almost ten year old cdp used as transport will go toe-to-toe w/new digital systems, both computer based and stand-alone, up to at least the $8k range.  tiny differences, that may or may not be heard as improvements?  ok, i will go along with that.  "far superior"?!?  NOT!   :o

doug s.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2009, 12:49 pm »
...Presently SOTA digital is far superior to where it was ten years ago therefore it's reasonable to expect it will improve in the future...

ten years ago, digital had been greatly improved over what it was at its introduction.  improvements have been miniscule since then, imo.  the only thing that improved is that now decent players that will get close to the best are awailable for reasonable prices.  but, i think this is cuz redbook cd has hit a wall; no more improvements to be gleaned from this mediocre-at-best medium.  if redbook were 24/192 from its inception, there might have been more to get out of it.

my almost ten year old modded dac, hooked up to any decent almost ten year old cdp used as transport will go toe-to-toe w/new digital systems, both computer based and stand-alone, up to at least the $8k range.  tiny differences, that may or may not be heard as improvements?  ok, i will go along with that.  "far superior"?!?  NOT!   :o

doug s.

Doug,

On this point we will have to disagree.

I really wish you lived close by so we could do the comparison you suggest.

Oh well...

George

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2009, 02:04 pm »

doug s.

OK, here's one of your 10 year old Art Di/O DACs going for $150. Hmmm...the sellers ears must be shot if he's selling this state or the art DAC for so cheap. :wink:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68028.0

-Roy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2009, 02:16 pm »

You may be overdrawing your point. Presently vinyl may be the gold standard but digital playback is relatively new and it is not necessarily inherently inferior to vinyl. Presently SOTA digital is far superior to where it was ten years ago therefore it's reasonable to expect it will improve in the future. On the other hand vinyl has been around for a long time and improvements will be harder to come by.Vinyl has its weak points including a relatively high noise floor and the slight deterioration of a record that occurs every time it's played.

I suspect the even 16/44.1 playback will continue to improve with every new generation of DACs. In fact, most people can't even tell the difference between very well executed 16/44.1 and high def. digital.

Also when you say that 16/44.1 never sounds real to your ears but there are others who actually prefer the sound of CDs. So, to some extent, it's a matter of opinion. There are many audiophiles that are switching to digital because they're looking to the future, keeping an open mind and not being stuck in old technology. It will be interesting to see what serious audiophiles will be listening to ten years from now :scratch:.

RajaRoy,

I've been down the road of broken digital dreams, my friend.  Tho I have not heard a truly bad CDP/DVD player in about 5 years now....16/44.1 remains a distant sonic cousin to vinyl.  DVD-A is surely better - but falls short of the crown, too.

As for vinyl - I differ with many of my fellow vinylphools on what constitutes natural. I've yet to hear a moving coil (or any Audio Technica) that makes me swoon with delight reminding me of the actual, live event.

My journey to happiness with vinyl, at least at the price points I was willing to plumb a few years ago, was with direct drive machines.  One thing all the digital technologies taught me was to be totally jaded by perfect speed accuracy.  It's unfortunate, but until you invest in some pretty pricey spread with today's belt drive tables....you won't get that dead-on speed accuracy.

I listen to a lot of piano...and it's only direct drive, or belt drives with outboard speed control (and suspensionless) that I hear it done right.

With some of today's (and yesteryear's) direct drive models...you get it for a fraction of it's cost. Keeping in mind - direct drive has it's own challenges it faces....but it's not speed accuracy and control it lacks.

So, I haven't overdrawn my point - I listen and am very much open to ditching my entire vinyl-based front end for a digital technology that sounds real.  It doesn't exist.  It likely won't exist anytime soon.  But, I keep hoping  :inlove:

Until and unless that time emerges....I'm wonderfully happy listening to my (direct drive) JVC QL-Y66F, that cost me $475 :)

Just entering the abode yesterday was my VPI Classic in walnut.  I expect the gap with any digital technology to veer even wider after listening to it set up shortly.

John

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2009, 02:19 pm »

doug s.

Doug,

On this point we will have to disagree.

I really wish you lived close by so we could do the comparison you suggest.

Oh well...

George
i'd love to do a comparison, too, george.  as it is, i have a-b'd my modded art di/o dac w/warious transports, some dirt-cheap, others ~$1500, against digital rigs up to $8k, including transporters, ea-modded northstar 192 dac, ea-sb3 with pace-car, bolder modified sb2, northstar transport fitted with pace-car.   there was no clear winner; one guy at our session actually indicated he preferred my di/o. 

even $8k is way above my budget; if you have to go significantly above that, i am sorry, but it's ridiculous.  and, personally, i still don't believe it would be any more than splitting hairs.  which is why i wish i could hear your system.  truly, hearing for yourself is best...   :thumb:

doug s.

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2009, 04:48 pm »
Speaking of the DI/O ... a friend came over yesterday to let me hear his new TADAC. This is a tubed DAC (probably a tube buffer stage) that has a rather unique feature. You can dial the tubes in or out to varying degrees. When out it tended to be rather dry sounding. When in all the way it had big bloom, but also a hazyness and lack of detail. About 12:00 was right with a nice balance of both. Very analogue like sound overall.

We compared it against my highly modded Zhaolu. The Zhaolu proved to be cleaner and more transparent with oodles of detail. But it doesn't sound as analogue and can get brittle at times in spots (something I can't seem to tame and something the mega buck players tend to get right)  - somewhat typical of less expensive digital. It was much more dynamic though and tighter in the bass.

Then we tried my old modded DI/O. This was much closer to the TADAC in terms of its analogue like sound. Though not as bloomy nor as precise and detailed as the Zhaolu. to my ears it was a nice compromize between the two though (in my rig). Still a very nice DAC. I keep it to use from time to time as a very different presentation from my Zhaolu.

Then we spun some vinyl and were literally blown away at the detail and dynamics and naturalness and airiness and soundstaging and beauty of the sound. No comparison here folks.

Enjoy,
Bob

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2009, 04:50 pm »

doug s.

OK, here's one of your 10 year old Art Di/O DACs going for $150. Hmmm...the sellers ears must be shot if he's selling this state or the art DAC for so cheap. :wink:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68028.0

-Roy
or he has a bad case of upgrade-itis?   :lol:  someone got a great deal, imo (sold in one day), even w/o the class-a and v/r mods..

hey, i admit there might be progress, but i suggest it's miniscule, as i said before.  it seems that a ~$200 zhaolu, when modded, slightly eclipses the modded di/o, and is wery close to the mega-bucks players; there's much on the web about it; one post from a fellow a/c'er here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=52877.msg472879#msg472879

i have considered getting a zhaolu and modding it, but it's not a big priority for me...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2009, 04:59 pm »
Speaking of the DI/O ... a friend came over yesterday to let me hear his new TADAC. This is a tubed DAC (probably a tube buffer stage) that has a rather unique feature. You can dial the tubes in or out to varying degrees. When out it tended to be rather dry sounding. When in all the way it had big bloom, but also a hazyness and lack of detail. About 12:00 was right with a nice balance of both. Very analogue like sound overall.

We compared it against my highly modded Zhaolu. The Zhaolu proved to be cleaner and more transparent with oodles of detail. But it doesn't sound analogue at all and can get brittle at times and in spots - somewhat typical of digital. It was also much more dynamic.

Then we tried my old modded DI/O. This was much closer to the TADAC in terms of its analogue like sound. Though not as bloomy nor as precise and detailed as the Zhaolu. to my ears it was a nice compromize between the two though (in my rig).

Then we spun some vinyl and were literally blown away at the detail and dynamics and naturalness and airiness and soundstaging and beauty of the sound. No comparison here folks.

Enjoy,
Bob
this is pretty-much what i would expect - it seems system differences, and personal preferences are more important than the incremental changes offered by today's redbook adwances - occam tells me that the modded zhaolu is even better than the di/o, now here's someone who says, in effect:  well, maybe, in some areas, in other areas, maybe not...  and, while i have never heard the zhaolu, based upon my di/o, and other dacs i have heard, it is hard to imagine hearing any more detail.  i can hear gnat's farting w/my present digital rig, and you can even discern what the gnats were eating!   :lol:

also, your comment about listening to dacs, then switching to analog precisely mirrors the experience a few of us had at rim's a year or so ago - all this hair-splitting about differences in digital sound w/warious set-ups for a few hours; then we put on a record....  as you said:  "..No comparison here folks..."   :green:

doug s.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2009, 07:58 pm »
also, your comment about listening to dacs, then switching to analog precisely mirrors the experience a few of us had at rim's a year or so ago - all this hair-splitting about differences in digital sound w/warious set-ups for a few hours; then we put on a record....  as you said:  "..No comparison here folks..."   :green:

doug s.

Bingo for me, Doug.  Listening to my (universal) DVD player (with Dakiom Feedback Stabilizers and dedicated isolation transformer ahead of it), with either Redbook or DVD-A's on, I will often say how nice it sounds. 

Then, I put a record on and I wonder what the hell was I thinking....THIS is music; the prior was a facsimile thereof.

But, I'm pleased that digital makes pleasant sounds for very little money nowadays. But, to throw gobs of money at it at this point seems foolish (to me....whoever you are out there, I could care less what you do with your finite funds)

John

JCC

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2009, 10:40 pm »
My vinyl almost always sounds better than my CD's or SACD's. I have difficulty describing the difference, but I can hear it. It has a certain something! Resolution and texture and a musical feel.

My modified Marantz CD / SACD player is just not as good for sound, but it is a whole lot more convenient to use. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2009, 11:20 pm »
I agree with George, the latest digital is very, very good.  But vinyl just sounds more real.

royphil345

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2009, 06:56 am »
I don't think 16/44.1 is ever going to sound much better, regardless of how good DACs get. I just hear too much of a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 on the same equipment. The resolution is obviously audibly lacking. No DAC will ever be able to retrieve what's simply not there. Wasn't a decent digital camera like 1 MP when CD came out?

I think CD was a first step into a commercial digital format, but it wasn't perfect. No first try at anything ever is... They could only fit so much on a disc back then. Probably would have been replaced by now if the economy was better or if the couple formats they tried to introduce were simpler and priced the same as CD... or your car came with a player that would actually play the things... etc...

I think not seriously pushing a better format was probably the biggest mistake the recording industry ever made... while blaming everybody else for their problems. I think the sound of CDs has lessened a whole generation's appreciation of recorded music even if they don't realize it. I have no problem spending money on vinyl. I buy few CDs and find most of the ones I did buy disappointing. There's no way I would ever pay money for an mp3. The recording industry wonders why this generation doesn't value their products... and keeps putting out products with little value.