Fozgometer help

vortrex

Fozgometer help
« on: 25 Mar 2012, 05:11 pm »
When I use the Fozgometer with my VPI Classic the needle slowly moves up the range when testing the left channel and slowly moves down when testing the right.  During the course of the Analog Productions test LP tracks it will span a few tick marks on the gauge.  Is this normal or because it is a unipivot arm?  I set the azimuth by matching the level reached at the end of each track, but I don't know if this is the right way to do it?

Minn Mark

Re: Fozgometer help
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm »
GIve Galen @ Galen Carol Audio a call. He set up my VPI Classic for me via the mail. I'm sure he can help.

M

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2012, 05:40 pm »
When I use the Fozgometer with my VPI Classic the needle slowly moves up the range when testing the left channel and slowly moves down when testing the right.  During the course of the Analog Productions test LP tracks it will span a few tick marks on the gauge.  Is this normal or because it is a unipivot arm?  I set the azimuth by matching the level reached at the end of each track, but I don't know if this is the right way to do it?

I have Fozgo'd about ten turntable systems, including a VPI Classic with great results... Here are the easy steps...

• Hook the RCA output of your tonearm cables to the corresponding left / right input jacks on the Fozgometer. If you're using an ultra-low output MC, you may need to connect from your phono preamp outputs to the Fozgo input.

• Using the Analogue Productions test LP, use Side 1 track 2 & measure / write down the output on the meter. Go to track 3 & measure / write down the output on the meter. These two measurements need to be "close" for proper channel balance. If not close, adjust azimuth to balance the right & left channels.

Once you're close to or have identical L/R readings, go to Side 1, Track 1. This reading should be "zero" (0VU) or no movement of the Fozgo analog meter pointer. When "0", you're done... Happy Listening!

Reading your post, the meter needle should be fairly "steady" for both tracks 2 & 3... Check your connections.

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2012, 12:32 am by Triode Pete »

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2012, 07:13 pm »
thanks, but I have done all that and I am getting the same result over and over.  the needle travels steadily in one direction or the other depending on what channel I am testing.  it's a consistent distance also.  so, I don't know whether I need to match the value at the beginning of the track or the end.  I am using a Zephyr cartridge.

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2012, 08:33 pm »
I got a response back from Musical Surroundings...

"We have seen this kind of drift in the readings with certain arm/cartridge combinations in the past. What is happening is that the amount of crosstalk is increasing/decreasing very slightly as the cartridge tracks the groove. The Fozgometer is very sensitive and picks up on slight changes like this, more common with unipivot arms. You can set the azimuth based on the reading at the end of the track like you are doing, or based on the average reading over the course of the track."

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2012, 10:42 pm »
Here's one other thing you might check - the physical connection between the RCA's on your tonearm cable and the Foz.  I've had this happen a couple of times on different tonearms and if the connection to the Foz isn't really snug, this can happen.

Hope that's all your problem is!

:)

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2012, 12:34 am »
I got a response back from Musical Surroundings...

"We have seen this kind of drift in the readings with certain arm/cartridge combinations in the past. What is happening is that the amount of crosstalk is increasing/decreasing very slightly as the cartridge tracks the groove. The Fozgometer is very sensitive and picks up on slight changes like this, more common with unipivot arms. You can set the azimuth based on the reading at the end of the track like you are doing, or based on the average reading over the course of the track."

For Side 1, Track 1, what is the reading? If it's at "0" & doesn't move, you probably have a decent azimuth setting... If it drifts or the left or right LED illuminates slightly, your azimuth if "off"...

vortrex

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2012, 02:51 pm »
does this really have anything to do with the azimuth?  I thought this was for adjusting the level output of your preamp?  the lights do not come on, but the needle is steady at 2 clicks from 0.