Amadeus platter bearing alignment

G E

Amadeus platter bearing alignment
« on: 9 Jan 2016, 02:48 pm »
I recently had the platter off to do some thorough cleaning. I noticed the triangular platter bearing did not point directly at the motor spindle but to a point about 1-1/2 inches to the right of it as I face the front of the TT.  The manual indicates the corner of the bearing should directly point to the motor shaft.  Any pointers out there to make the adjustment?

sebrof

Re: Amadeus platter bearing alignment
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2016, 06:26 pm »
Does it not move easily so you can point it towards the motor?

watercourse

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2016, 07:51 pm »
Hi GE,
Have the same issue, but it does not affect performance at all IME.
The bearing is screw-mounted from the bottom, but from what I can see, you can't make adjustments to the alignment of the top piece by loosening or removing the screws. But I could be wrong as I haven't actually attempted this.
Wilson

G E

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2016, 04:30 pm »
I send an email to Mike Pranka and will post his reply here.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2016, 08:17 pm »
GE,
It won't hurt the table to be off point but crickey! it'll hurt the sound.
Mr P will get you sorted soon. I can't remember what he does to reorient the bearing point, it takes two secs.
Slight of hand, you know...

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2016, 08:34 pm »
On my Amadeus, the triangular platter bearing easily turns so you can orient one of the points toward the motor.  Curious now if this is normal.

G E

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2016, 09:07 pm »
I heard back from Mike Pranka and he suggests turning the bearing with a finger.

So, that is what I did and my triangle's vertex now points at the motor spindle. There was some resistance but not enough to require a tool.

Cleaned the spindle and platter edge with 90% alcohol while I was at it.

G E

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2016, 08:59 pm »
GE,
It won't hurt the table to be off point but crickey! it'll hurt the sound.
Mr P will get you sorted soon. I can't remember what he does to reorient the bearing point, it takes two secs.
Slight of hand, you know...

By crickey, you are right on the money about the sound after adjusting the platter pivot.  Improved resolution and stability.  Not that I felt it was wanting in these areas to begin with.

Highly recommend everyone check their TTs and make sure the vertex points to the motor spindle.  It's easy enough to get it right.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2016, 02:22 am »
G.E., you're welcome. It's nice to be properly aligned... and glad you can hear the difference.