Recommendations for new refrigerator

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Recommendations for new refrigerator
« on: 29 Jan 2019, 09:44 pm »
Our 26 y/o refrigerator is almost kaput. Has anyone recently bought a new - and quiet - refrigerator?

My thanks in advance,

Lester

Samac

Re: Recommendations for new refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2019, 10:06 pm »
Hey Lester,

We purchased our new fridge one year ago. We were looking for quiet, large and (to us) good looking, the finish is called black stainless. We went with an LG LNXS30866D. It ha a good ratings from owners and consumer magazines.

You don't mention a budget and it was pricey but after a year of ownership I can say that we are very pleased we got it. LG fridges generally get good reviews in every size, configuration and budget.

Good luck with your search.

https://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LNXS30866D-door-in-door

Cheers,

Scott

Samoyed

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2019, 10:15 pm »
Sub Zero: it is forever.

borism

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:32 pm »
+1  Sub Zero

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2019, 12:31 am »
This is the inside of my three-year old LG Linear Compressor refrigerator
taken about 10 minutes ago. Yes, that is a sheet of ice on the bottom.

It is without question the worst appliance purchase of my entire life. This unit has been serviced 3 times for ice build-up under the slide-out tray and LG can't fix it. It builds-up in the back, melts partially during a so-called defrost cycle, then re-freezes under the slide-out tray. When the ice get close to the front of the drawer it warms and drips on the floor. We are going to replace it in a couple of weeks with a GE Monogram. This was my first LG purchase and I won't buy another LG product as long as I live...

RPM123

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2019, 12:57 am »
My wife and I have had a Kenmore Elite now for 3 years with no problems. Keep in mind that new fridges have about an average 10 year lifespan, since CFCs have been phased out and are no longer used. In addition to cooling, they also act as a lubricant for the motor. As we were told by the salesman.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2019, 01:23 am »
You should probably put a price range.  Subzero is expensive, but then it's easy to buy a $3,000 fridge these days (though subzero is way above this).

Brettio

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2019, 02:17 am »
I don’t know what they’re like now, but in my experience +1 on Kenmore Elite.  Ours is 17 years old, was moved half way across the country a few years ago and still keeps on properly cooling. Recently a few plastic parts have cracked but given the age I’m still satisfied.

We have 2 LG refrigerators (each about 10 years old) in rentals and while they haven’t failed, they both have had way too many plastic parts break.

*edited to remove advice I received about a particular brand that I had no first hand experience with.*

Good luck, Brett
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2019, 03:38 pm by Brettio »

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2019, 11:36 am »
I bought a 14.7 cu.ft.  an LG LBNC15221V Bottom Freezer Counter Depth Refrigerator June of '17. It has performed well and is as quiet as the replaced Kitchen Aid. When researching I found that that main problem, across all brands, seemed to center around the filtering and function of the automatic ice makers, so I bought a model that didn't have that "feature". If you don't need a large capacity and can forgo the automatic ice maker  you should consider this LG. It's rather inexpensive as well.

Bob Stark

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2019, 01:02 pm »
Hey Lester,

We bought a new 24.1 cf Samsung RSG257 refrigerator 4 years ago.  It is a side by side counter depth with excellent features.  It listed at about $1800, but we got it for $1500 on sale.  It is real quiet and has LED lights inside that light the interior like a night football game.  The ice maker quit working and a couple broken drawers sealed the deal on the previous fridge.  Still use that one in the basement  for extra capacity, however.  One thing we do now from the ice maker experience--we try to never use the crushed ice feature because it tends to cause a significant jam in the mechanism.  The ice maker on the Samsung is the only thing that makes a wise at all and is still so quiet except when the try of ice empties into the bin.  With the 3" thick doors, you don't hear the ice drop near as much as our average priced fridge caused.  The function of the new fridge has been awesome.  The fridge door allows so much stuff to be put into it including one shelf that even allows a 3 separate gallon of milk or whatever.  There are 5-6 shelves in the door alone.  We thought we might miss the extra storage capacity of our full size fridge we had.  We have 6 adult kids, many of whom have lived with us at different times.  We host most of the family get togethers.  That ice maker NEVER runs out of ice and everyone uses it continually.  The bin occasionally gets down to 1/2 full on those occasions.  It also NEVER overflows the bin and starts dropping ice inside the freezer.
The freezer, being a side by side, is smaller but still holds most frozen pizzas without having to put them in at an angle.  We do vacuum out the underside of the unit once a year to keep it reasonably clean.  Sorry for the length of these, but we love this appliance.

Bob

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2019, 04:07 pm »
I got a demo of an LG French Door, Door in Door Fridge at Home Depot the other day and it seemed fabulous. I cant remember the model number but it was their top of the line models. Tons of cool features (pun intended!).
This one didn't have all the digital bells and whistles which is one reason why I liked it. Most of the wifi/smart stuff seems a bit before its time to me and more trouble than useful. Next gen should be ready for prime time but I don't think its there yet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2019, 05:06 pm »
I bought a 14.7 cu.ft.  an LG LBNC15221V Bottom Freezer Counter Depth Refrigerator June of '17. It has performed well and is as quiet as the replaced Kitchen Aid. When researching I found that that main problem, across all brands, seemed to center around the filtering and function of the automatic ice makers, so I bought a model that didn't have that "feature". If you don't need a large capacity and can forgo the automatic ice maker  you should consider this LG. It's rather inexpensive as well.

Mine doesn't have an icemaker either, but guess what - it's still built into the fridge, just not hooked up.  So guess what's going bad on my fridge right now?  Yeah, my icemaker parts.  Even though I have no icemaker, haha.

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2019, 06:10 pm »
We're about 6 months into a new Samsung RF28HDEDBSR. It's a bit pricey. No issues so far. I really like the door in door feature. It's dead quiet also....except when the ice drops.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/refrigerators/3-door-french-door/36-wide-28-cu-ft-capacity-3-door-french-door-food-showcase-refrigerator-stainless-steel-rf28hdedbsr-aa/

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2019, 06:42 pm »
About 10 years into a GE Profile medium sized fridge.  Now used as a beverage fridge full time in the basement.  Zero issues - other than the bottom mount freezer door would always open when folks shut the fridge door.  Due to current use, that freezer door is duct taped shut, and the freezer turned off.

About 4-5 years into a counter depth Kitchenaid stainless.

Had the ice issue noted above - was a faulty P trap, replaced (my $ of course) and works great since.  Have also replaced (my cost still!) the icemaker at one point.

Kitchenaid was WAY more $ than the GE.  Always nice when smaller costs more...

Such is vanity I suppose.

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2019, 07:01 pm »
sadly what ever you buy today won't last 26 years and no matter what the subzero crowds says, they, for the money spent are only marginally better. It's the age we live in !

As for LG, I know more people that hate them vs. love them. Friend is on his third compressor in so many years ! Remember, it wasn't that long ago when LG was nothing but 'Goldstar', that South Korean brand of garbage !

My parents 41 year old Gibson still runs in the garage keeping the beer and wine cold !

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm »
sadly what ever you buy today won't last 26 years and no matter what the subzero crowds says, they, for the money spent are only marginally better. It's the age we live in !

As for LG, I know more people that hate them vs. love them. Friend is on his third compressor in so many years !

My parents 41 year old Gibson still runs in the garage keeping the beer and wine cold !

Can I come visit your parents?

Thanks for all the replies. Our budget is $4000 tops so subzeroes would be beyond us anyway. There’s just the two of us now, my wife and I. I read some scathing reviews on all models suggested so far, the LG reviewers spewed some considerable vitriol but the Samsung reviews were worse (lord have mercy, just what I needed - new curse words). Many of the problems seemed to be related to the indoor ice maker, which we don’t need. And quite frankly no, Mr Best Buy salesman, we don’t need acces to the intenet and what we would do with that I have no idea. What we do need is a fridge that’s quiet, energy efficient and dependable. Still looking.

Maybe I should just have the existing fridge serviced and reconditioned?  How would I determine how energy efficient it is and how can I improve it?

Cheers,
Lester

avta

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2019, 11:15 pm »
As a follow up to my previous comment we bought the LG after extensive reading of online reviews. According to Consumer Reports LG has a somewhat better repair record than some other brands. We got the model that is French Door style without the ice maker on the outside.  We also purchased an extended warranty which will cover an added 4 years. So far we’ve had no problems after 1 year.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2019, 11:35 pm »
After looking at reviews, it was apparent that the expensive refrigerators were no better than the basic units.  So I bought whatever was on sale at Lowe's Depot with the biggest capacity and lacking an icemaker (our water is too hard).  I expect the unit to burn out in less than 10 years, but I can replace it often for a few hundred bucks.  The best option for a reasonably quiet unit at the time was a Whirlpool.  Two years later, so far so good.  All the $1K and up units are rated no better. 

sounddog

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2019, 01:44 am »
About 5 1/2 yrs ago we bought a JennAir refrigerator with French Doors and the freezer section on the bottom. The filtered water dispenser is on the inside of the refrigerator and doesn’t take up nearly as much room as the other brands we saw. It’s been pretty quiet and reliable, although we did have 1 recent repair. Don’t know if it’s true but 2 or 3 repair people warned us against Samsung because they said it’s hard to get parts for them.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2019, 03:42 am »
consumeraffairs.com is just one of the resources I’ve used for finding reviews of refrigerators.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/samsung_refrigerator.html

Cheers,
Lester