Kaplan Extension Cord Review by Levi

Levi

Kaplan Extension Cord Review by Levi
« on: 1 Jun 2009, 02:57 am »

Kaplan Power Cables may be is the new kid on the block.  However, Paul Kaplan has been around the block many times.  Sorry Paul for giving away your age, but experience comes with age.  Paul is seasoned audiophile and former long time Lab Facilitator, now a power cable maker/master.  Congrats Paul for a job well done!

Kaplan extension box is basically Kaplan powercord terminated with dual duplex receptacle housed in a cast aluminum box.  Mine has the forged aluminum face plate finished in 'antique' copper.  I previously used a long 12Ga orange  extension cord from Home Depot connected to my dedicated 20Amp line. 

Having had the Kaplan Extension box for over a month or so now, I can proudly say that it made a huge difference in my system's sound.  The overall sound is more dynamic and musically satisfying .  I can hear more details in music.  10,000 Maniacs "the earth pressed flat" had more snap.  I love Mary Ramsey's voice and instruments so natural sounding.  Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix new album bass so tight and juicy.  Details, details, details.  It is also worth noting that I can vividly hear someone walking and sitting on the stool in the beginning of "Book of Hours" in the Black Light Syndrome album.  I love that album even though my wife hates it.  Anyway, My PMC OB1i speakers, BAT VK-51SE preamp and VK500 amp allowed me to hear any change in sound good or bad.  This time it is positive.  My wife who is unassuming unaware of the cable change noticed more air and sound cooler to the ears. 

I am very happy with the Kaplan extension cable.  Kaplan Power Cables may be the new kid on the block but it makes a positive difference.  Again, a job well done Paul!

Thanks for reading.

--Levi

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Kaplan Extension Cord Review by Levi
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:58 am »
Congrate Levi on your system power distribution upgrade. :thumb: BTW, what AC plug did you choose for the Kaplan cable? Also what did Paul use for duplex outlets and wiring design inside the box? Thanks Levi. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2009, 11:47 am »
Thanks for the complement Robin.  I am currently using Kaplan's Copper for my amp and Rhodium for my preamps.

The box, If you open it up smoke will escape and will no longer function.   :scratch: 

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2009, 11:04 pm »
The outlets are my favorites, Hubbell HBL5262.
They've got a great beat, and you can dance to them.

Other outlets can be provided at a customer's request.

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2009, 11:27 pm »
Levi's custom Xtension Kaplan cord used the copper plug on the line-in end. Copper because it seems to be more 'neutral' than the rhodium.

what AC plug did you choose for the Kaplan cable?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2009, 02:50 am »
Thanks for the complement Robin.  I am currently using Kaplan's Copper for my amp and Rhodium for my preamps.

The box, If you open it up smoke will escape and will no longer function.   :scratch:

That's exactly what I've found works best on mine.  Coppers on amps, Rhodiums on preamp and source components.  I'm absolutely thrilled with the results they've given me.

Great job Paul

Bryan

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2009, 12:51 pm »
Yup - coppers here too all 'round, except for the phono stage where I found the Rhodium added some extra life.

All my cords are non-filtered, although I've implemented various forms of power conditioning and filtering separately.

Bob

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:14 pm »
Very nice product and thanks for the review Levi.  Just wondering, are most of you guys mentioning copper and rhodium choices using the filtered or non-filtered cord versions?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:36 pm »
I've got the non-filtered.

Bryan

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:48 pm »
I have the filtered box.  Paul, what exactly do I have?  :scratch:

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:57 pm »
I have the filtered box.  Paul, what exactly do I have?  :scratch:
:D Yes, I was also wondering whether this is a simple connection box or there is actually filtering inside as well.

Occam

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2009, 03:17 am »
Well, there is filtering, and then there is FILTERING. What is in the extension box that Levi got is a parallel capacitive filter.
As my extension box replaced Levi's Blue Circle Music Bar and Noise Hound powercord as well as his extention cord, I gave Levi that same type of capacitive parallel filtering within the extension box. Like any capacitive parallel filter, it provides 6db/octive lowpass filtering to all components on that mains circuit, but no isolation between components. What the heck, the box is already there.
This is quite different different from the 12-18db/octave lowpass filtering with isolation provided by my conditioner/cords.

Horses for courses.

tdangelo

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2009, 12:50 pm »
Paul, I sent you a PM about this box - did you get it?
Thanks
Tony

Occam

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2009, 07:26 pm »
Tony,

I just got back from a week in Maine today. It was beautiful. I could see stars in the night sky. It really scared me..... :o

As a general note, the extention box with 2 Hubbell HBL5262 duplex outlets (my favorites) is a $135 upcharge from an IEC terminated cord, with either a copper or rhodium wall plug. That would make it $434 for a 4' cord, or $484 for a 6' cord. Adding the parallel filtering with multiple capacitors is $35 additional.

Regards,
Paul

I can install any duplexs desired, though, after extensive listening tests of  Oyaides, Hubbells, Furutechs, Teslaplexs, Pass & Seymours, Levitons, etc... I can't fighure out why anyone would want to, leastwise in my system and others I've heard. Obviously, YMMV.

tdangelo

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2009, 07:30 pm »
Tony,

I just got back from a week in Maine today. It was beautiful. I could see stars in the night sky. It really scared me..... :o

As a general note, the extention box with 2 Hubbell HBL5262 duplex outlets (my favorites) is a $135 upcharge from an IEC terminated cord, with either a copper or rhodium wall plug. That would make it $434 for a 4' cord, or $484 for a 6' cord. Adding the parallel filtering with multiple capacitors is $35 additional.

Regards,
Paul

I can install any duplexs desired, though, after extensive listening tests of  Oyaides, Hubbells, Furutechs, Teslaplexs, Pass & Seymours, Levitons, etc... I can't fighure out why anyone would want to, leastwise in my system and others I've heard. Obviously, YMMV.
stars are nice to look at ;-)

I'll let you know when I figure out exactly what I'm doing.  Will prob. end up selling my Running Springs Jaco since I only have 1 component plugged into it(MW Transporter).

Thanks!
Tony

tdangelo

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2009, 03:43 pm »
Hi Paul, I look forward to getting my conditioning cord for the MW Transporter.  I've sold my Jaco conditioner and have to plug the Trans into the wall with a cheap 8' cable - hopefully your build won't take to long - my system isn't sounding so good ;(

One question - how long is your build time on your regular cords?  I need 2 6' HE's with a 20a IEC.

Thanks
Tony

rydenfan

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2009, 04:59 pm »
Tony, you will be most pleased  :thumb: Paul's cables are amazing as is his customer service  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2009, 06:21 pm »
I may sell my 4 foot copper Kaplan soon.  PM me if interested, but it won't be this week as I am travelling.

tdangelo

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2009, 06:23 pm »
I may sell my 4 foot copper Kaplan soon.  PM me if interested, but it won't be this week as I am travelling.
Hi Pete, I need 6' 20amp cords.

thanks

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2009, 06:26 pm »
Yes, I knew that, I meant anyone.