You ditched your AZ Satori speaker cables for Belden 50 ohm antennae cables?

denjo

Yes. and straight out it sounded better than my Satoris! Much better!

Stay tuned, more to follow!  aa

denjo

My AZ Satoris (single run) have been in my system since circa 2001, after reading Jim Merod's glowing review of the cable. The Belden 9913F7 cables are better known by radio ham enthusiasts as making excellent antennae cables, given its low loss quality over great lengths. The cables were terminated using AudioQuest silver banana connectors. No solder was used. Ends were simply screwed into the connectors. The Belden 9913F7 cables have very low capacitance and inductance and moderately low resistance (not much of a conern since only 9 feet run each was used).

With the cables hooked up, the first thing I noticed was better bass presence. My ACI Force XL was off duty for this review but it felt as if a sub was in the chain. The soundstage widened and the height increased. I think I am hearing the Thiels as they were intended to sound - incredibly neutral. I won't use any audiophile hyperboles but I am glad the Beldens have worked out so well in my system. I am now listening to familiar tracks and the music interpreted through the new cables are a pleasant surprise with every track. 

My AZ Satoris (9 feet) will be up for sale soon!

Tweaker

Sounds very interesting. Where did you buy the cable?

denjo

Tweaker

Bought them from my local Belden cable supplier in Singapore. If you are in the States, you might want to do a google which should show several links of suppliers for the cable. Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Dennis

Tweaker

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try!

Occam

Dennis,

How are you hooking this cable up? For single wiring do you use -
1. one cable for each speaker, the center conductor of one leg and and shield for the other?
2.Or do you use 2 cables for each run, with the shield and center connected together for each leg?
3.Or cross connected with 2 cable for each run ala Jon Risch?

TIA,
Paul

denjo

Hi Paul

Thanks for your interest. I am using the cables as you describe in (1). The center coaxial is +ve and the braided shielding is -ve. Last night I had some audiophile friends over a listening session and they were in disbelief when I told them my speaker cables were el cheapo antennae cables!

For anyone out there who is thinking of changing his speaker cables, I strongly urge you to try this inexpensive route first before you spend good, hard earned $$$ on expensive, exotic cables. Like me, you might just be very pleasantly surprised!

Freo-1

Yes. and straight out it sounded better than my Satoris! Much better!

Stay tuned, more to follow!  aa

Verrry Interesting!

What do you reckon? You think that any reasonably made 50 ohm antenna cable would work just as good?

denjo

Hi Freo-1

Good question! I guess any 50-ohm cable with similar charateristics as the one I use should work fine. The Belden 9913F7 is highly reviewed to have excellent low loss capability. Check this Radio Ham url which has reviewed the Belden very favourably for the qualities I am looking for: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2258

Best Regards
Dennis

Freo-1

Hi Freo-1
Good question! I guess any 50-ohm cable with similar charateristics as the one I use should work fine. The Belden 9913F7 is highly reviewed to have excellent low loss capability. Check this Radio Ham url which has reviewed the Belden very favourably for the qualities I am looking for: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2258

Best Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis

Cheers for the link. I'll scope it out.   :thumb:

Jampot

Recipe for coax speaker cable here -

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ubyte2e.html

I have it on my favourites list, but still haven't tried it.

Perhaps some wet weekend this winter....

Jim

denjo

Hi Jim

Thanks for the very interesting read. I read elsewhere that John Risch adamantly feels that the coaxial configuration is bad for speaker cables. Well, my ears say otherwise!  :wink:

I hope you will have time to embark on your project! Do let us know how it goes along if you do! All the best!

Best Regards
Dennis