latest white Grover S interconnects

guest1632

Re: latest white Grover S interconnects
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jul 2007, 11:44 pm »
A good cable and Grover is a gentleman all the way. 

I would beg to differ (a LOT!) with the latter part of your comment, but the first part is an understatement IMO.  I agree with those who say you should've given them more time.

My initial impression of the ICs was similar to yours, but they improved significantly after a week or so of burn-in.  In some aspects it was difficult to tell them apart from my 'standard' IC (Stealth Cables Indra) during a second week A/B session, and that's more than a little impressive.

If you don't believe in burn-in, settling or whatever you want to call it, that's fine.  After all, it's your money and your system, and I have nothing at stake either way.  But if your approach is to make a decision after listening 5 minutes or less, you're going to miss out on some awfully good deals.

-Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, when I plugged in my black ones, frankly I was unimpressed. They were like hoe humm cables, nothing special. I left a CD running and was working on other stuff in the den, and came back in about 15 minutes or so, and wow, what happened here. I knew these were still like well enclosed, like you were listening thruogh a screen door. I saw the potential was there. About 50 hours later, and all's history. So if anyone buys them, don't just stick 'em in the system, listen for a moment, and pull 'em back out. These cables are living proof that there is such a thing as break in.

When I came back after 15 minutes later, one of the first things I noticed was the definition of bass notes. These puppies have detail written all over them. And these aren't the newest generation either. 

Ray 

gooberdude

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2007, 03:21 am »
BGR, you mentioned that all of your cables are new?  that sucks!!!         don't spend another penny on cabling until you get everythig burned in...then go 1 by 1.    This is especially true for power cords...they impart more of a change to what you hear...let them settle for a while then work on IC's.

burn-in is no mystery and you guys are nice for saying its only a 2 week duration.   no matter if its a cable or component or speaker, everything seems to take about a month for me.

patience is such a weird thing to learn in this hobby, took me a few years.       waiting for cables & new gear to burn in is trying, but doesn't compare to new speaker drivers.  like waiting for glue to dry...

BGR, you should try a burn-in CD.   i've been using the Purist Audio system enhancer for a few weeks, its pretty radical.      cable burn-in devices and firms who offer the service might be of help too.

its kinda funny to think about a component which we might own for years, yet its so damn painful to give it a fair demo often.    i'm just as guilty as the next guy!

FYI - Anti-IC's are probably a bettter product than the A-C's.   i have 2 pairs of Anti-IC's and won't part with them.   About 2 months ago my eyes were open as to how A-C's work in my system..and they are no longer allowed.

matt

Double Ugly

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2007, 03:24 am »
Why would I do that? I would not feel the need to tell him I heard something better. And I don't assume he would care what I thought anyway,  :lol:  Besides I would be so excited about that kind of find that I would just go listen to more music! :)
Uh... because he asked?  He asked for my feedback, and I know he asked the same of John Cook (BSC) and several others. 

I dunno... maybe you're right about Grover not caring what you think.

If not, that may have a lot to do with it.

That may have a lot to do with what? :dunno: Sorry, I guess I am thick. 
I think one of us must be, because the two sentences made the connotation crystal clear to me!  :wink:  :lol:

What I meant was, maybe the lack of perceived negative feedback has something to do with the fact that you believe Grover to be a gentleman.

I like Grover. We enjoy similar tastes in equipment, music style, and humor. He is a character, as most creative personalities are, but one I am glad to know.
I'm honestly glad that's the case.  Seriously.

-Jim
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2007, 01:49 pm by Double Ugly »

guest1632

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2007, 06:42 am »
BRM,

You might want to try this method:  Don't replace your existing wires; instead burn in new wires using a spare DVD or CD player.  When you have reached the recommended length of time for burn in, swap in the new wires.  I use this method since I agree with your premise that your ears do adjust over time.  This way you are listening to them "out of the box," so to speak, but broken in.

With the Grovers, which I use (along with his speaker wire), I only broke them in for only 40 hours by mistake.  My wife commented that they didn't sound right.  I agreed and was disappointed.  But I left them in for the weekend.  At one point they sounded weird and that got my attention.  In the past I've noticed power cords and ICs sometimes sound bad before they turn around and sound good (hey, don't ask me how this works, I just report what I hear).  In the middle of a song, they turned musical and transparent.  I asked my wife to check it out and she thought they were sounding very good (and she hates this kind of comparison exercise).  I know this sounds like BS but thems the facts. 

To me, the Grovers allow you to hear into your system.  I hear absolutely heavenly midrange, good bass and some noise in the HF (although HF is still very good).  I'm going to try to find the source of the HF noise now (I already have dedicated outlets and a balanced power unit for my source).  It wouldn't surprise me if suppressing noise also increases the bass definition (I have found bass definition to be a good indicator of noise).  Of course, one could also assume that the noise if actually the "sound of silver" since some think that silver never gets the HF right.  We will see. 

I can understand why some folks go the route of battery powered components.   At least that eliminates one variable...

Phil

Hi Phil,

I had my black Grovers in for about oooh, close to 50 hours. I then pulled them out and stuck in a different pair of cables. They were good, but sorta flat sounding. Anyway, I pulled out the comparison cables, which were antis, and put back the Grovers. They too were sounding flat sounding. I thought "was I hearing things?" I went out of the room for a few minutes to grab a bite to eat. I left the room with a CD Playing? I came back oooh about 10 to 15 minutes later. Wahlah, all was back. Go figure. These cables just bring everything alive. The bass def is great, mids and top, and I don't know if this is a real term or not, but the inner dynamics ... almost like someone had used a compander or something. I want to try some of his other stuff. Actually, I'm gonna eventually get another pair.

That's my take on these cables.

So far my dealings with Grover have been good.

Ray 

HChi

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2007, 05:59 pm »
I have been Grover Cable users for awhile also.   Grover has been pleasant to deal with.   Have I said to him that his cables could be better?  You bet!  :wink:  Even though I know cable performance could often be much system dependent, I always convey honestly what I heard and my like and dislike.  It is as simple as if it doesn't sound good enough, they go going back to Grover.  aa

In terms of burn-in, I think they will need 50+ hours.  I usually put them on cable cooker pro for 6-8 hours and run them 24+ hours continuously with a full spectrum music CD on repeat.   I have heard a few iterations of S cable, and still haven't decide a worthy iteration to upgrade yet. 

Double Ugly

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2007, 06:40 pm »
I always convey honestly what I heard and my like and dislike.

That you did that and can still say Grover "has been pleasant to deal with" is a stark contrast to my experience, Howard, and to that of others I know.

But I'll say no more about it, and will now bow out of this aspect of the topic.  IMO, no good can come from continuing.

-Jim

guest1632

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2007, 07:12 pm »

That you did that and can still say Grover "has been pleasant to deal with" is a stark contrast to my experience, Howard, and to that of others I know.

But I'll say no more about it, and will now bow out of this aspect of the topic.  IMO, no good can come from continuing.

-Jim

Hi Jim,

To bad for your experiences with Grover. All I know he's a human being like everyone else on this Earth, and sometimes you, (a general statement about anyone, not specifically you) can rub people the wrong way, and visa versa. You're a good boy not to talk about it.

Anyhow, all I know is  the cables I have currently I've never heard a cable do what I've heard these do. Now to say, these are the best. can't say that, cause I've not heard the real expensive stuff to really know. I do intend to get a pair of white ones and then determine which are the better ones and why. Will it be subtle, don't know. I have noticed through the years with audiophiles, that they will say night and day differences, when it is in reality a subtle difference/improvement. I do try to be objective if possible. If it is indeed a night and day difference, I'll be truthful and tell you so.

Another aspect of this is if you are an Audiophile, and you have listened to stuff long enough, then perhaps to you those differences will be night and day. But if I would bring my wife in to the room, she may or may not hear any difference at all. To top it off, she would not be able to tell you why, just that it's better.

Everyone hears differently. That is why we have so many products out there to choose from. Some stuff is really good, and some not so good.

Anyway, this part is a whole diffent topic. Somethimes a boring one at best.

Ray