NFL Football ('14-'15)

charmerci

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2014, 09:03 pm »

Sorry for being so insensitive...in my day, it was unacceptable for men to hit women. 

Let's not romanticize the past. The great running back Jim Brown was a known wife/woman abuser and I'm sure we can dig up many others.

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm »
Let's not romanticize the past. The great running back Jim Brown was a known wife/woman abuser and I'm sure we can dig up many others.

Good call!  That guy was a dirt-bag, and violence against women is nothing new.  I was just saying there are a lot worse actors than Manziel.  In the grand scheme of things, what did Johnny really do (by NFL standards) to piss everyone off?  I like the guy and wish him well. 

jackman

« Reply #22 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:23 pm »
Nope.  Chicago sucks (as long as they have that have that head case Cutler). Detroit will improve from last year. 

Talk is cheap.  The proof is is in the record.

Whenever you are ready to put your $$$ where your mouth is, I'm willing to bet you that Chicago has a better year than Detroit.  The Bears should also have a better offense than Detroit.  Your QB is nothing to write home about.  Take away the jump balls to Megatron and what has he really done? Detroit sucks...suuuuuckkksssss! 

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm »
In the grand scheme of things, what did Johnny really do (by NFL standards) to piss everyone off?  I like the guy and wish him well.

Yeah, the posting of everything that a celebrity does and then criticizing anything/everything is tiresome.

Whenever you are ready to put your $$$ where your mouth is, I'm willing to bet you that Chicago has a better year than Detroit.  The Bears should also have a better offense than Detroit.  Your QB is nothing to write home about.  Take away the jump balls to Megatron and what has he really done? Detroit sucks...suuuuuckkksssss!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DS-21

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:26 am »
No disrespect meant, but predicting a 3-13 team as a powerhouse in the upcoming season is a bit of a stretch.  I think they'll be improved, but so will the rest of the NFC East.  The Eagles were mediocre at best last year and took the division without a lot of pressure from either the Giants or the Redskins.  Even at that they barely nosed out the dismal Cowgirls.  Assuming a high tide floats all boats, I don't see a big change in the relative finishes of the NFC East teams.

5 reasons for optimism:

1) RG3. Healthy and with a full camp, they won the division. With a knee brace and no offseason he stunk and so did the team.

2) Alfred Morris. Most underrated RB in the league.

3) The pass rush. Jarvis Jenkins seems to have a better first step, and the new coaching staff wisely has separate coaches for ILBs and OLBs. The OLB guy, at least per John Keim's excellent reporting on ESPN, seems to be adding new tools to 1st round bookends  Rak and Kerrigan.

4) The receiving corps. Last year Pierre Garcon was a consistent stud, and Jordan Reed was great when healthy. No reasonable person can say that D-Jax isn't a better deep threat than Aldrick Robinson. I haven't seen much of Andre Roberts but I'm optimistic, too. The deep corps will also keep fresh legs under 'Tana, who despite his age is still a welcome presence on 3d down. Also I suspect we'll see more 3-WR sets with Logan Paulsen or Darrel Young to help block, which should help keep Reed healthy.

5) Jay Gruden: new energy, new fight for old DC?

5 reasons for pessimism

1) The secondary. True, D-Hall is a top-10 DB in terms of talent who can and has won games on his own. And in the last few years he's become a great team player, too. The rest of them, not so much.

2) The O-line. Trent Williams is a stud. But Lichty hasn't played center in the pros, I don't think. And Polombus is still starting at RT, right? Sigh.

3) Barry Cofield might be this year's really good player who lost a step to age/injuries.

4) Injuries can kill any team.

5) Jay Gruden: Jim Zorn with a better pedigree?

My prediction for the Beast: Redskins, jints (Eli figures out their new offense quickly and they finish strong), iggles (less talent, more film on Chip Kelly's pro offense), dallass.

In closing, HTTR!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:13 am »
Sorry, new coach, new offense, no way.  You'll point to Chip Kelly, but Jay brings nothing innovative to the table, same 'ol west coast, Kelly brought a fast paced juggernaut to a league that hadn't seen anything like it.  And here's some news, Chip will have plenty of new wrinkles for this season.  If only the Eagles had a defense, they'd be dangerous.  They may have enough in the weakest division in the NFL.

In this all the NFC East teams have some hope.  Anyone able to squeak out a 9-7 season and best a few divisional opponents has the inside track on the title.  Any of the four may do this, as the Eagles did last year and the Skins before that, it doesn't take much of a team in the East, just a little luck.  I like RGIII, but I'd have to see him make it through a season to pick the Skins.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:49 am »
There are a number of teams like my Broncos whose season could end with one hit. Green Bay and New England also depend entirely on one guy. So let me caution all of you guys who are making brash predictions about the coming season. All you need is a Jeff Triplette game or a key injury to deflate everything. I can wait to see how it unfolds.

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:08 am »

Again, you have it ass about. Da Bears are always going to suuuuckk as long as Cutler is the QB.  The Lions are going to surprise a lot of people,especially whining Bear fans.  Detroit has more offensive weapons, a much improved o-line, and at least their QB does not quit when things get tough. :lol:  :lol:

As adroitly mentioned, all our trash talking doesn't mean squat if major injuries occur. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #28 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:19 am »
The Bears will do no better than the Cowboys. It is quite comical, however, that Bears fans choose to compare their team to lowly Detroit... 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #29 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:20 am »

In this all the NFC East teams have some hope.  Anyone able to squeak out a 9-7 season and best a few divisional opponents has the inside track on the title. 
Nope, no hope for Cowboy fans.  This team is snake bit.  Every key piece of their defense is hurt, suspended, or underperforming.  As brutally bad as last years defense was, this year is going to be worse for at least the first half of the season.  They will have to score 40 points to be in most games.  This team is headed for 5-11. I still have to see more from the new "genius" on the block before I pick Philly to be much better than average. New York will improve, and I could see the Pinkskins winning the division.

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:21 am »

Again, you have it ass about. Da Bears are always going to suuuuckk as long as Cutler is the QB.  The Lions are going to surprise a lot of people,especially whining Bear fans.  Detroit has more offensive weapons, a much improved o-line, and at least their QB does not quit when things get tough. :lol:  :lol:

As adroitly mentioned, all our trash talking doesn't mean squat if major injuries occur.

The only people your Lions are going to surprise is the handful of fools who expec them to NOT suck. They are a bunch of losers who play in a crap dome. I have no animosity towards Detroit fans, only sympathy.

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:24 am »
The Bears will do no better than the Cowboys. It is quite comical, however, that Bears fans choose to compare their team to lowly Detroit... 

Learn how to read, I was merely responding to a confused fan. Being better than Detroit is like being the tallest midget. The Cowboys could be decent this year. I hope they play well enough to give Jerr Jones false hope...only to crush his spirits when Rono fails then. Fun stuff.

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:27 am »
Romo and the offense will be one of the NFL leaders, but they are always going to under pressure.  I'd take Romo over Cutler any day of the week. 

jackman

« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:38 am »
Romo and the offense will be one of the NFL leaders, but they are always going to under pressure.  I'd take Romo over Cutler any day of the week.

That would be a tough call for me, but you could be right. I'm not a fan of either, but eye Bears are stuck with Cutler because they are paying him $18 million. Insane money for a guy who can't stay healthy. At least we can agree on something.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:39 am »
Learn how to read, I was merely responding to a confused fan. Being better than Detroit is like being the tallest midget. The Cowboys could be decent this year. I hope they play well enough to give Jerr Jones false hope...only to crush his spirits when Rono fails then. Fun stuff.

Dammit, Jack, I was hoping you'd tell me to put my money where my mouth is, too.  :wink:

The Saints are in Chicago for a Monday Night game on December 15th. Care to wager a six pack of our respective (and respectable) local microbrews?

I love football season!  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:44 am »
Dammit, Jack, I was hoping you'd tell me to put my money where my mouth is, too.  :wink:

The Saints are in Chicago for a Monday Night game on December 15th. Care to wager a six pack of our respective (and respectable) local microbrews?

I love football season!  :thumb:

Come on, I may as well just send you the beer today. Your team should crush the Bears this year. I hate Cutler and have had several arguments with the Chicago sports radio idiots about my hatred of cutler.  Still in shock about the money they have tied up in this idiot.

I love the city of New Orleans and think Brees is one of the best. Top five easily and a cool guy at that.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #36 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:59 am »
Come on, I may as well just send you the beer today. Your team should crush the Bears this year. I hate Cutler and have had several arguments with the Chicago sports radio idiots about my hatred of cutler.  Still in shock about the money they have tied up in this idiot.

I love the city of New Orleans and think Brees is one of the best. Top five easily and a cool guy at that.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:47 am »
Wow, Romo over Cutler, only someone who really does not understand what Cutler offers would say that.  While he was here in Denver he made throws that very, very, few QBs in the history of the game could make.  I do agree that mentally he is not the best, but this problem is most likely a matter of coaching: with the right coaching he could be at the top of the NFL QB heap because his arm is magnificent.
And yeah, the injuries, well, the Bears O line is porous as all get out, the only way QBs in the NFL stay healthy over a long period is with outstanding pass blocking.

S Clark

« Reply #38 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:54 am »
Romo vs Cutler career stats up to 2013
QB rating
Romo 95.8 (5th on the all time list)
Cutler 84.6 (25th)
You can argue circumstances all you want, but the stats are the stats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_career_passer_rating_leaders
"Wow, Romo over Cutler, only someone who really does not understand what Cutler offers would say that"-Barrows

charmerci

« Reply #39 on: 15 Aug 2014, 07:32 am »
No matter how well Romo does in the regular season doesn't matter when the chips are on the line. High pressure games just doesn't do it for him - for which I am glad.

The Dallas D is going to stink it up big time this year so it really won't matter how good he is.  :thumb: