Dunkirk

Wind Chaser

Dunkirk
« on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:58 am »
Not your typical film, certainly not a feel good film, nor is it entertaining in any kind of way. There's no main character, and consequently no character development. There isn't much of a plot / story. And with the exception of a few characters, everyone is totally fucked in a most hapless, helpless, and hopeless situation. Not sure why this has garnered so many positive reviews...  :scratch:

Having said that, it's still much better and more interesting than all the bullshit comic book crap we've been inundated with in recent years.

bluemeanies

Re: Dunkirk
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2017, 04:49 pm »
I like Christopher Nolan and do indeed intend to see Dunkirk.
Another reason for seeing the film and this is on a personal level...my three uncles weren't WWll.
One of them was a interruptor for General Patton.
Two of three survived and the other was a tail gunner whose plane collided with a friendly and died in Europe.

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2017, 05:04 pm »
I thought there was an overall current in Dunkirk in common with There Will Be Blood.  A kind of inexorable, existential, and relentless intensity to the downward spiral.  Yet, with some more positive currents that ultimately prevailed, compared with There Will Be Blood. 

And I disagree with the lack of character development.  Both the boat and the plane scenarios had significant characters with arcs.  And even the Mole scenario kind of had the beginnings of character development in the main character toward the end.  And the Admiral also showed something.  Although I would agree that these levels of character development were pretty sparse and much more subtle than in most movies, and probably not satisfying for most either. 

My wife and I both gave it 4 stars overall - mainly for Nolan's overall skill.  It's an incredibly intense movie, and I would agree not entirely pleasurable.  For sheer enjoyment, we both gave it 3 stars.  But a damn well made movie, and I don't think Nolan was intending to produce enjoyment as the primary emotion. 

md92468

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2017, 05:07 pm »
I've never seen a war movie with more of a "you are there" quality to it. The dogfight perspective was the best I can recall. It was quite effective at evoking the visceral terror these folks experienced (I heard a Dunkirk vet interviewed who said – paraphrasing here – that it was like re-living the experience). Props especially to the sound design folks, who really captured the "out of nowhere" quality of some of these horrific moments.

That said – narratively and dramatically – it was a bloody mess. I can't recall feeling less for people going through hell in a film, which is kind of inexcusable for a story about such remarkable heroism. The editing often derailed drama rather than sustaining or building it, and there were several unnecessary plot lines and devices (which I won't spoil here)...it just seemed like it tried to be too clever by half and missed the mark, which was a shame considering the talent involved and the compelling story inherent in the material.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2017, 09:04 pm by md92468 »

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2017, 06:10 pm »
I like Christopher Nolan and do indeed intend to see Dunkirk.
Another reason for seeing the film and this is on a personal level...my three uncles weren't WWll.
One of them was a interruptor for General Patton.
Two of three survived and the other was a tail gunner whose plane collided with a friendly and died in Europe.

I'll bet Patton hated being interrupted.

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2017, 11:34 pm »
The main character in the Mole scenario in Dunkirk seemed pretty flakey to me...

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2017, 12:10 am »
I'll bet Patton hated being interrupted.

Now that is funny!!

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2017, 12:26 am »
Haven't seen it yet but others tell me the shorted the French  for their diversion efforts so the Brits could escape, if true, I won't waste my time or money .........

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2017, 01:08 am »
It does short the French, but still, I thought it was an effective movie. Wear ear plugs. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:15 am »
I thought the film was a marvel!  Things like character development aren't really the point of an epic like this that tries to capture a singular pivotal point in history.  The visceral sense of danger was omnipresent and I think Nolan did a great job.  There are some truly great performances as well, many of them fairly quiet. Tom Hardy creates a lot of nuance in an economically sketched character. Branagh also turns in an unusually subtle performance.  Mark Rylance is superb, and he elevates every scene he's in.  His character is very interesting and we don't understand the source of his duty and resolve until near the end.

I think this one will garner quit a few Oscar noms.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2017, 09:32 pm »
I thought the film was a marvel!  Things like character development aren't really the point of an epic like this that tries to capture a singular pivotal point in history.  The visceral sense of danger was omnipresent and I think Nolan did a great job.  There are some truly great performances as well, many of them fairly quiet. Tom Hardy creates a lot of nuance in an economically sketched character. Branagh also turns in an unusually subtle performance.  Mark Rylance is superb, and he elevates every scene he's in.  His character is very interesting and we don't understand the source of his duty and resolve until near the end.

I think this one will garner quit a few Oscar noms.

Well stated!   Should be required watching in high school (like Schindler's List was for some time).  It's important we not forget our past.

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2017, 11:53 pm »
Very good movie. 
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2017, 06:33 pm by S Clark »

findog3103

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2017, 11:59 pm »
I liked the movie very much. I think the lack of detailed character development was in part due to seeing people as pawns in life situations that are mainly out of our control (decide to fight wars, gov't decisions) but within a particular moment we might think we have control but it is fleeting. Even so, to behave honorably and for the common good is in itself worth living for. IMO.

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:02 am »
Keep it about the movie! No more snowflake stuff please .  There has been some great discussion about the movie. Let's keep it focused only on Dunkirk.
Thanks !! :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:05 am »
Thank you. 
And well stated, Findog.  I'll watch it again on Blu Ray... where I can control the volume. 

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:36 am »
The volume may depend on the movie theater.  It was not excessively loud at the theater we saw the movie at. 

I have been to some movies where the theater sound system was excessively loud, which deters from the experience.

KR500

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2017, 11:13 am »
Thanks for your comments
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie this week.
The book about Dunkirk that came out 8 or so years ago is very well written and a  tremendous read.
My cousins late father was a commando in the later Dieppe raid and it took him months to be able to get out of France back to England .
Can't imagine what these servicemen ( and civilians ) went through .

Stercom

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:00 pm »
The main thrust of the movie is showing a person's character during war - from many different people and perspectives.  From a cinematic point-of-view it is one of a few movies shot entirely in 70mm and very little CGI was used. It had to be a monumental task with that many people and ships. Hans Zimmer's score is fantastic as always.  Its a must see in my opinion.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2017, 06:11 pm »
The thread has been cleaned up and restored to Cinema Circle.

Let's all refresh our understanding and acceptance of AudioCircle's Posting Guidelines.

Thanks to facilitator stlrman and other members for keeping the thread on topic.