Tell us about your Single Ended Triode Amp(s)

oldnuke

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Tell us about your Single Ended Triode Amp(s)
« Reply #40 on: 2 Aug 2020, 08:00 pm »
Hey oldnuke - that is the best looking Bottlehead item I have ever seen.  Mine never looked anywhere near that good.  Heck, I was doing good to clearcoat the bases.

Thanks!  That's all PaulB, he's great at building amps.  All I had to do was pick the color and front layout and provide some parts.  The interior is just as good looking.

Docere

« Reply #41 on: 10 Aug 2020, 09:44 am »
6C6 directly coupled to 2A3 running at fave operating point for about 2.5W out. A build experiment that got a little crazy a couple of years ago; heavy for a directly coupled amp at about 25kg per mono. I learned a bit and am currently purchasing parts for my next amp... which might be crazier.

Needs a clean

Some interior. 0v signal ground is different now (-ve of reservoir cap to spot near safety earth).

leica m3

« Reply #42 on: 11 Aug 2020, 10:16 pm »
Bottlehead 2.0 SEX amp, uses 6DN7 tubes, 2 watts per channel, for headphones and speakers. This amplifier has been in Burning Amp, headphone shows and meets.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #43 on: 14 Sep 2020, 08:40 pm »
6C6 directly coupled to 2A3 running at fave operating point for about 2.5W out. A build experiment that got a little crazy a couple of years ago; heavy for a directly coupled amp at about 25kg per mono. I learned a bit and am currently purchasing parts for my next amp... which might be crazier.

Needs a clean

Some interior. 0v signal ground is different now (-ve of reservoir cap to spot near safety earth).

Sweet. Nice work.

charles

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #44 on: 14 Sep 2020, 10:34 pm »
Here's my brand new 300B SET. Sorry for the mediocre photos. Too much light in the room for a low dynamic range smartphone camera.
Hand laid transformers. 300B, EF86, GZ34, 12AU7 tubes.

Docere

« Reply #45 on: 21 Sep 2020, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: rollo

Sweet. Nice work.

charles

Thanks Charles.

This thread is about sharing about our amps - I didn't really do that.  :oops: I find that difficult because of the many details that went into this amp: it really was a bit of a thought experiment and I would not recommend an amp build like this... though it does sound lovely (slightly warm, coherent, expressive with surprisingly linear-sounding bass) despite (because of?) the high frequency roll-off expected when a low gm pentode drives a DHT.

The basic design is a classic direct-couple, not Loftin-White or monkey or variants. I like the sound of the EML and JJ 2A3 tubes with the plate at roughly 1mA:6V, in this case 42mA and 250V with a 4.2K load; AC filaments. Good for maybe 2.5W, probably a bit less. Tubes will last forever if start-up and filament voltages are well-managed. The 6C6 is run as pentode at common operating points. The only bit of trickery being that a voltage divider is used to derive screen V (rather than a simple dropper) and the screen bypass is returned to the cathode, rather than ground. PS is a simple tube-rectified pi filter designed for low impedance and fast and clean recovery - I will do it differently next time...

Build was guided by a few things I wanted to achieve and just experiment with. I wanted to be able to compare this build to a RC coupled amp of similar design that I own; ensure reliability and low noise/hum/buzz; use quality transformers and chokes; avoid 'lytic capacitors; minimise parasitic capacitance; avoid magnetic and dissimilar conductors where practicably possible; keep current loops direct (if not as short as possible) and treat them with the same care as "signal"... blah blah blah.

I don't recommend my design choices or expect others to have the same goals or make the same choices. I like that humans have diverse opinions and make different decisions.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2020, 11:26 am by Docere »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2020, 12:35 am »
2a3 Bottleheads

Poultrygeist

« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2020, 12:45 am »
Dared 2a3

Poultrygeist

« Reply #48 on: 22 Sep 2020, 12:47 am »
Miniwatt S1

onehotchili

« Reply #49 on: 4 Dec 2020, 06:17 am »
After being out of the hobby for quite awhile, I am enjoying seeing some of the amps that people have been playing with.... these are a couple that I have had in my systems...

rodge827

« Reply #50 on: 4 Dec 2020, 10:43 pm »
Audio Note Kits 300b SET Interstage Mono Blocks  8)

oldnuke

« Reply #51 on: 6 Dec 2020, 05:48 am »
Don't think I've posted this one.  My new low powered 845 amp by Paul Birkeland.  Great amp!

SET Man

« Reply #52 on: 12 Jan 2021, 03:57 am »
Audio Note Kits 300b SET Interstage Mono Blocks  8)

Hey!

Nice! I always enjoyed Audio Note system every time I see them at audio shows. They don't jump out at you when you walking but if you sit and listen, you'll ended up just enjoying the sound of music.

By the way, I do own an Audio Note UK M1 Phono preamp which I bought new back in 1997. With a bit of mods I still have it and use it in my system. The Audio Note Kit weren't around back when I bought the pre amp and my current SET amp monoblocks, otherwise I'm sure I probably would have ended up with their amp and pre amp.

Buddy

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #53 on: 18 Mar 2021, 03:41 am »
Decware SE84C+ updated to CKC uses 6p15p output tubes.

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2021, 02:36 pm by opnly bafld »

DRHamp

« Reply #54 on: 18 Apr 2021, 02:45 pm »
Alan Eaton SET 45 -- received yesterday - plays very well with my Omega (94.5db) CAMs

chiking

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jul 2021, 08:45 am »
I use a Decware Zen Triode with a pair of vintage Klipschorns. Great vocal and soundstage.

jmolsberg

« Reply #56 on: 23 Jul 2021, 03:26 pm »
A 45 DHT SET and an el84 SET. Both come in around 1.5 watts. Both are wonderful but the tone of the 45 Triode is glorious!

oldnuke

« Reply #57 on: 27 Nov 2021, 08:06 am »
Taylor T20 SET built by Paul Birkeland.  Gray metal casing with stained Ash sides.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #58 on: 29 Nov 2021, 02:31 pm »

>deleted<

« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2021, 08:40 pm by aragon63 »

Lefatshe

« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2022, 01:48 am »
This is not pretty, but it's a 1.5 watt per channel prototype built by David Berning with 6LU8 tubes. He wanted to see what he could do with these plentiful tubes.  I appreciate his curiosity, because I can find replacements for under $10, and it sounds wonderful with my WLM Diva (full size) speakers in my 11 x 11 room. It is my summer amp. During winter I use Audio Mirror Eargasm monoblocks with 20 watts (6SN7 driver and 6SL7 input tubes. The two 6C33C output tubes are connected in parallel mode).