Subaru owners: who services your flat-four?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Subaru owners: who services your flat-four?
« on: 10 Jun 2024, 04:08 am »
Who takes their vehicle to the Subaru dealer, and who takes it to a reputable shop?

Any recommendations on using better quality auto parts to improve performance?

WGH

Re: Subaru owners: who services your flat-four?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2024, 04:24 am »
Dealer service 100%. I still have free service and warranty. Dealer is 10 minutes from my house and they have free Lyft rides dropping me off at home and picking me up.

Upgrades depends on what year your Subaru is. Plenty of tips on the Facebook Subaru forums. I have been reading the Subaru Outback Enthusiast forum for a year.

Subaru Outback Forum.org is another place to check out
https://www.subaruoutback.org/

What are you thinking of upgrading?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2024, 05:58 am »
When I need brakes, is there a better grade of pads? Would a better air or oil filter have some kind of benefit?

Also, with the flat-four engine, should you change oil every six months? Or, can you have it done once a year with the low mileage it will receive?

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2024, 09:45 am »
I do my own oil & filter changes on my 2018 Forester. Use Penzoil OW-20 Platinum Synthetic with Wix filters on a 6K interval per the manual. If you can't do your own, I'd recommend a good local shop. I also change out the front & rear differential fluid every 25K with Amsoil fluid. I have a local shop rotate the tires every 6K and inflate the tires at 38 psi to maintain even treadware.

The Subaru brake rotors are a bit undersized in my humble opinion. With that said I prefer Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium ceramic brake pads, these are OEM. They wear well, produce little break dust, and have decent stopping power. I'll be using Raybestos Element 3 rotors on my next break pad replacement. Make sure to have your brake fluid flushed and replace when you have the brake pads and/or rotors replaced.

NB
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2024, 04:59 pm by nature boy »

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2024, 04:29 pm »
No one touches ours except the dealer. I have 2 Crosstreks

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2024, 04:46 pm »
What is wrong with the OEM brakes and rotors? Are different brakes better for trailer towing or off roading?

Reading the forums it appears that people are consistently getting 150,000 to over 200,000 miles by using OEM parts, fluids and servicing at the intervals specified in the manual no matter the milage.

There are always posts about oversize tires and 2" lifts and an equal amount of posts of worn out CVT transmissions and axle problems because of 2" lifts. One guy even managed to get his mileage down to 18.5 mpg with his mods. Another guy just posted his new Subaru feels sluggish with his slightly oversize 235/60R17 tires, the oversize tires weigh 22% more per wheel than the stock tires. I'm getting 26.5 combo, 29+mpg on the highway at 80 mph, everything is still stock.

Snake oil additives are now making an appearance in the forum.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2024, 04:58 pm »
What is wrong with the OEM brakes and rotors? Are different brakes better for trailer towing or off roading?

Reading the forums it appears that people are consistently getting 150,000 to over 200,000 miles by using OEM parts, fluids and servicing at the intervals specified in the manual no matter the milage.

There are always posts about oversize tires and 2" lifts and an equal amount of posts of worn out CVT transmissions and axle problems because of 2" lifts. One guy even managed to get his mileage down to 18.5 mpg with his mods. Another guy just posted his new Subaru feels sluggish with his slightly oversize 235/60R17 tires, the oversize tires weigh 22% more per wheel than the stock tires. I'm getting 26.5 combo, 29+mpg on the highway at 80 mph, everything is still stock.

Snake oil additives are now making an appearance in the forum.

It would be cool if the additives were made out of actual snake oil, haha.

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2024, 05:17 pm »
What is wrong with OEM brakes and rotors? Nothing WGH, however they do wear out over time. Brake pads and rotors on my '13 Outback both lasted 60K. Sure you can take them to a dealer for replacement, however I've found dealer costs for parts & labor much higher than I'd care to pay for major repairs. Plus, a couple of loose lug nuts on a tire rotation at the dealer sometime back was simply unacceptable.

I have a wonderful ASE certified mechanic with 25 years of experience working on Subarus. I have a greater amount of trust he'll perform the job perfectly, will check my car over carefully ,and won't charge me excessive dealership labor rates.

It all boils down to personal preference, I'm just not a fan of dealership mechanics.

NB

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2024, 06:08 pm »
Dealer service 100%. I still have free service and warranty.

Is that standard warranty, extended warranty, or something through your dealer?

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2024, 06:37 pm »
Is that standard warranty, extended warranty, or something through your dealer?

Standard warranty. I do have an extended service plan, the finance office was really good. I should be able to get the 30,000 and 60,000 mile major service for free if I time it right.

dflee

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2024, 02:10 am »
While I pretty much stick with Subaru service, I did add a K&N oil cloth filter for air.
I contacted them about it when I first bought my Forester and was told it is superior to manufactures standards
and would not negate warranty (they said they use them on their race circuit). It produced more horsepower and increased mileage.
A win, win scenario for my last two Subbies.

djpk

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2024, 07:56 pm »
I do my own maintenance. For my 2021 Crosstrek Sport, I added an AEM Cold Air Intake, Crawford Performance air/oil separator, Nameless Performance strut brace, Nameless performance axle-back exhaust pipe with a Black Widow Exhaust Widowmaker muffler, auto stop eliminator, and replaced the stock suspension with Flatout Suspension. BND Automotive in Ohio custom blends the motor oils for all of my vehicles. The result of my modifications yielded more power, better fuel economy, better throttle response, and a huge improvement in vehicle handling.