Micro Tap coming....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Micro Tap coming....
« on: 29 May 2009, 07:28 pm »
for my subwoofer volume control.  Can't wait!  I've been wanting to do this for sometime. 

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Micro Tap coming....
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2009, 03:32 am »
Hello!

Yes - Thanks again for the order. I got started testing today and will likely ship tuesday or wed next week. Your subs were built to amazing standards - if you can post a link to the details so folks can have a look that would be great.

Thansk!

John

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm »
Here are some pics of my sub that I designed and built.  The sub is made out of .500" thick 6061 aluminum and hard coat anodized after surface polishing.  You will notice that I have left the tool path marks in the "pockets".  I was going to polish them out but decided that it would add something that is usually not seen.  There is a middle bulkhead and the entire cabinet has been bolted (SHCS) togther which holds the adhesive while it sets.  The glue is stronger then the bolting now.  In the end, they are heavy (125 lbs each) and sound awesome IMO. 

The only thing that bothered me was a lack of volume control for the occasional high or low bottom end.  These subs use the incredible Rythmik Audio 12" servo controlled driver / amp.  Lucky for me, Bent Audio had the solution!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:00 am »
Just an update...I FINALLY had time to listen and play around for some time.  What a difference!  I was listening to a known album / track (Greg Brown-Poet Game) and the bass guitar on that track drives me nuts..it's always been just a whee bit much.  Not now!!!  My trusty Micro Tap solves the problem.  It's amazing what 1dB can sound like.  LOVE IT!  Still can't belive that I'm using a fine piece of equipment like this as a sub volume control.   :D :D 

Next I'm gong to make new programs for my room correction / eq for the sub dB changes.  Yeah Baby!

Thanks again John.   :thumb:

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:30 am »
Wow as little a 1 dB huh?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:35 am »
Hello!

Glad it is working well for you and you are having fun with it!

Thanks!

John

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2010, 09:30 pm »
John,

On the Micro do the volume numbers have a corresponding value?  So, if I'm at 50 and go to 49 is that a 1/2 dB step or???

Sonny

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2010, 09:44 pm »
Great looking sub!  I would have left it raw aluminium color...black is cool...anyways, nice work!

T

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2010, 09:54 pm »
Hello!

1 step on the level display is a 1db change in level. Hope the sub has been fun - looks like an awesome design.

Thansk!

John

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2010, 12:46 am »
Hello!

1 step on the level display is a 1db change in level. Hope the sub has been fun - looks like an awesome design.

Thansk!

John

Thanks!