Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Sonicjoy

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #100 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:14 pm »
Jay,

Ya I could take a road trip over a weekend to your place. I'm in the San Juan islands. I would do that just for the scenic trip as well as to save the shipping.

But then I would miss all the fun of building them from scratch. I build stuff from wood for a living so no issue with that. That way I can add my own touches easier. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Laminating a one off project would not be that big a PITA. I would make the panels slightly oversize for gluing then trim to final size. That's what I did with the veneered panels of the Studio's. Much easier than trying to fit the edges perfectly. There's a tip for others building these.

Captainhemo

« Reply #101 on: 21 Mar 2020, 04:47 pm »
Yeah, that's how I did it back then as well.. just need, or have access to a nice  accurate  saw which is an issue for some. With the dowels/ddo's used in our  sub kits,  it makes itreal easy for folks to asemble with little  wood working experience but they still get the satisfaction of   the DIY hobby. 

jay

roscoe65

« Reply #102 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:28 pm »
Hobbs Thanks! I'm sure he will love them.

So I have been listening to the the Studio's with my Vandersteen 2wq subs for the last couple days. I have the subs placed just inboard of the speakers on the same plane. That is my preferred position in this room. This is proving to be a great combo! The Studio's having a box lower section blend very well with great box subs it turns out. I have not heard Danny's OB subs yet so I can't speak to that combo but I can say that they also blend excellently with good box subs so they should be very versatile in that regard. Now the Vandy subs are very good music subs! They use 3 down firing 8" drivers slot loaded in a sealed box and use adjustable high pass filters in front of the amps to roll off the lowest frequency's  before they get to the main amp/ speakers. They get their signal from the speaker outs of the main amps. The subs internal amps have a matching curve that restores the lows to the sub drivers (that are rolled off by the filters).  It's a great system that gives the subs the sonic signature of the main amps and make for excellent integration with the speakers.

This is sounding wonderful and has taken the Studios to a new level and allowed the mids and upper bass to be cleaner and smoother.

Very nice indeed!

This is an interesting idea to consider.  I own a pair of Rhythmik Audio F8 sealed subwoofers.  They only have line level in but I can wire an adapter to connect via speaker level.  I had thought of running straight off the preamp to the subwoofers and then putting simple capacitor before the amp for a 6dB filter.  This would allow me to run the satellites (I am considering getting the Studio Monitors) off the amp with what is effectively a 12dB filter (electrical + acoustic).  This should integrate well with subwoofers.  My subwoofers have a built in 12dB or 24dB filters.  This would effectively turn them into 6dB or 18dB filters.

I don’t see much harm in using the subwoofers’ subwoofer crossover and level controls to equalize 6dB back into the signal.  Maybe Danny can offer opinion.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #103 on: 22 Mar 2020, 07:59 pm »
I'm no expert on crossover design but it seems to me that the restoration curve needs to raise the lows starting with lowest frequencies being raised the most gradually decreasing as frequency increases to match the curve of the high pass filters and I don't think that's how a subs controls work. But there are many different implementations out there. That would apply to speaker level inputs mainly I think. I'm sure Danny or someone else can answer that better than I. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #104 on: 22 Mar 2020, 08:14 pm »
If it's matching the   roll off curve of the supplied   inline filters, I'd guess it likely has some sort of internal dsp    doing just that
jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #105 on: 23 Mar 2020, 12:00 am »
I don't think Vandersteen used DSP back when the 2wq subs were first developed. There is no mention of it in any of the documentation. They have been around for a long time.

Captainhemo

« Reply #106 on: 23 Mar 2020, 04:17 am »
doh  !!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #107 on: 23 Mar 2020, 01:49 pm »
Well looks like I am going to be "stuck" with these Studio Monitors for a while longer. With the world melting down dad and I have decided not to have me take his system to his place during this mess. It's too bad because he could be enjoying it while being cooped up at home. Very disappointing! I have just turned him on to Tidal so he has been enjoying that on his old system which is not to shabby anyway.

Everyone stay safe out there and pray this passes quickly.

Cheers!

Captainhemo

« Reply #108 on: 23 Mar 2020, 03:32 pm »
Probably  a very  wise  choice  unfortunately.
I see this am that  our  (Canada) Olympic teampulled the plug on Tokyo  Again, sad  but   pretty  much  necessary   :(

As SJ   said, stay safe

jay

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #109 on: 25 Mar 2020, 05:41 am »
Hello,
 sonicjoy I am going to receive my nx studio monitors tomorrow and am getting to panels and everything laser cut. I was just wondering how many clamps should I buy and how should I start assembling? Do I need a workbench like yours with holes in em for the clamps or is how should I go about this?
Thank You,
Dhananjeyan Natarajan

Sonicjoy

« Reply #110 on: 25 Mar 2020, 02:17 pm »
Hello Dhananjeyan.

Glad to hear you are building a set!  :D You will love them I am sure.

I would take the front baffle and the plans to whomever is going to cut out the parts and have them make sure that all the parts fit perfectly before leaving. Especially if you do not have any woodworking tools or skills. Start the assembly by dry (test) fitting all the parts before gluing so that you understand completely how it should go together. The top ramp part is the hardest to fit and clamp so plan that out carefully. Refer to my photos at the start of this thread. That should help with the sequence.

I did one side at a time but you could do the whole thing at once just be sure to use a glue with a long working time. I used Titebond 3. It allows more time before setting.

As far as how many clamps? There is a saying in wood working that "you can never have too many clamps" I would say you can get by with 10-12 12 inch clamps and 4- 24 inch clamps.  Some of the smaller 6 inch clamps are helpful. I really like the reversible type that can spread as well as clamp. The DeWalt's are my favorites.

Now for those with no woodworking skills or tools I highly recommend buying a flat pack kit from Jay (Captinhemo) he says he should have them ready soon? They come pre-fitted and should be easier to assemble. Jay are you using dowels and/or slots (rabbits) to align parts? I'm sure he will comment on that.

The divider brace should have the inside edges rounded over so a router is needed for that. See my photo's.

Good luck and ask any other questions you may have.   
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2020, 11:03 pm by Sonicjoy »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #111 on: 25 Mar 2020, 11:23 pm »
And no you do not need a holy bench.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #112 on: 25 Mar 2020, 11:44 pm »
And no you do not need a holy bench.

I wonder if you might mean a holey bench  :o

Sonicjoy

« Reply #113 on: 25 Mar 2020, 11:54 pm »
It's kind of a play on words.  :wink:

Captainhemo

« Reply #114 on: 26 Mar 2020, 04:49 pm »
We're looking at a couple different  options  with regards to  dowels/dado's/rabbets  . 
There is still a couple things  ahead of these that we need to  get  done,   almost  there though.

jay

jn316

« Reply #115 on: 26 Mar 2020, 07:35 pm »
We'll see if you can pull a rabbet out of your hat... to continue the play on words theme.  8)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 27 Mar 2020, 05:46 pm »
We're looking at a couple different  options  with regards to  dowels/dado's/rabbets  . 
There is still a couple things  ahead of these that we need to  get  done,   almost  there though.

jay

Glad to hear progress is being made! I recently order myself a Sprout 100, so it'll probably be summer once I'm ready to order the kit and a flatpack to assemble them.
Keep up the great work!

Dhananjeyan

« Reply #117 on: 27 Mar 2020, 09:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice. About to get started in a couple of days. how big should the crossover board be?
Thank You,
Dhananjeyan

Captainhemo

« Reply #118 on: 28 Mar 2020, 06:47 pm »
We always cut the Encore boards at  5.5"  x 5"     Studio monitor will be  similar in size, you  should have no issues  fitting them  on   that size board  . 

The 5"  width fits nicely between the no-rez coverd side panels, if you  want it snugger,   make the board say  5.125" wide
jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #119 on: 28 Mar 2020, 07:33 pm »
I made them 5" wide by 8" long. 5 is the max width I would go. If anything I would make them 4 7/8" It would be easier to slide them in. The Norez is very grippy and it was hard to slide them in because it was a tight fit. Check my photos for layout of components.

Dhananjeyan how are you planning to finish them?

One other thing, the top of the box the ramp part is made of 1/2" MDF not 3/4" like the rest of the box. Rather than buy 1/2" I just ran it through my thickness planer to remove 1/4 inch.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2020, 11:41 pm by Sonicjoy »