callin' all speaker people for a little word????

2bigears

callin' all speaker people for a little word????
« on: 22 Oct 2006, 06:25 am »
Zu Definition vs Vandy 5a  : is this too close to call for a winner,or is this just two flavors of sonics?? really interested in trying the Vandy.thks for any help on the matter  :D

mgalusha

Re: callin' all speaker people for a little word????
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2006, 10:25 am »
These are two vastly different speakers IMO, you really need to listen to both and see which one matches your tastes. I've heard the Zu and the Vandy 5 but not the 5A's and for me it's an easy choice but you have to go with what makes YOU happy, not anyone else.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2006, 01:37 pm »
mgalusha,do you mind sharing what camp your in and why?? thks :D  i can get both sets in my basement,but i was wondering what the Vandys do or don't.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2006, 02:03 pm »
Zu Definition vs Vandy 5a  : is this too close to call for a winner,or is this just two flavors of sonics?? really interested in trying the Vandy.thks for any help on the matter  :D

Way different sounding speakers.

I know the 5A's very well and they do everything very well without any major weaknesses (other than being very expensive). 

I spent 30 minutes or so after hours listening to the Definitions last night (thank you Adam) and they are interesting.  Good dynamics and punch, but I thought they were colored sounding and lacked a little clarity.  Keep in mind that show conditions aren't the best and never really show what ANY piece of gear really can do.

I am not sure I heard enough to bring the Definitions in for an audition...while I would buy the 5A's given the funds to do so.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2006, 02:05 pm »
mgalusha,do you mind sharing what camp your in and why?? thks :D  i can get both sets in my basement,but i was wondering what the Vandys do or don't.

The 5A's make music!   :thumb:

While they won't knock you out of your seat, the dynamics are very good.  The textures and shadings of the music are very apparent and the midrange is uncolored.  Overall sound is effortless and very pleasing.

I am beat and running out of battery, so I would day read some of the reviews - they are all VERY accurate.

George

zybar

• Volunteer

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2006, 07:29 pm »
thks much George,points noted. :D :D :D :D

KeithR

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2006, 11:56 pm »
Apples and oranges.

I've heard the 5s a zillion times over the past 5-6 years, but they would never be a speaker i could buy as I find them too relaxed/non-exciting.

Some say that "boredom" is because they are accurate and we are used to "exciting" which is wrong. 

I have heard the Zus locally, and much more intrigued by them---not sure i could buy them yet either, but i would like a further audition.  FWIW, they sounded much better than in show conditions.

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2006, 12:34 am »

My thoughts are similar to George's. I find the Zu's too colored for my tastes and they also seem a bit shouty/boxy to me. I've owned other Vandersteen speakers over the years as well and I like their house sound. One thing about most Vandie speakers is they are not boxy sounding and they are also not in your face, which I felt the Zu were.

As KeithR mentions, some folks find them boring because they don't really draw attention to themselves. I've read many times about the treble being soft but they are flat to well over 20K, so perhaps being soft is the same as not being a little hot. It may have something to do with the time/phase coherence which Vandersteen works so hard on. Not sure, I just know that if I had the $$ a pair of 5A's would be on my short list of speakers to own. One thing which I think is a detriment to most Vandy speakers is the black sock they are enclosed in. I have an old pair of 2Ci's that have had the socks (and posts/top pieces) removed and the treble is considerably better IMO. If you audition the 5A's, I would remove the grill.

Mike

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:14 pm »
Mike,the Zu's are a little forward for sure.i don't find them boxy by design,they do have  a very accurate sound though,not laided back at all.wonder if my room is too small???? also,i am wondering if a very good SET amp would help,lay them back a bit????  George,i don't know what was driving the Def's when you heard them,but they do not suffer from a lack of clarity,these things sing note for note what you feed them...:D :D
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2006, 02:25 pm by 2bigears »

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:55 pm »
. . .and now it sets in - the nervosa of not having heard the options before taking the plunge.

I haven't heard the 5A's but I can certainly talk to you about the Definitions.  Do you have the 1.5's or the Pro's?  I've had both.  Being a beast for bass, I went to the Pro's.

The Definitions can get a little ragged with some music.  They are not the best speakers for old Van Halen for example.  There's something about the wailing guitars that just excites a mode in the main drivers.  Other instruments centered around the same frequencies don't have the same issues, mostly it's distorted guitar.  Outside that, they are well rounded and do some things better than any XO'd speaker I've heard:

The breath of life they convey is far beyond, including the Wilson Alexandrias I heard set up with $100k of electronics at a local dealer.  I brought my own music and the two of us left wondering what all the ga ga is about.  I also heard the Martin Logan Summits recently and was not terribly impressed.  I did quite like the DeVore Super 8's, though they still are not close in this area.

They avoid the "different voice from different driver" phenomenon that other speakers have.  Once you wipe away the previous belief that this is inevitable, it becomes very obvious when listening to other speakers.  The utter cohesion the Definitions have will not be duplicated, even by the time-and-phase accurate Vandys.

I've read elsewhere you found a small amp you like quite a bit.  Big, conventional floorstanders won't do well with little amps.

However, I'm not saying these attributes are the most important to every listener.  Your choice ultimately distills down to which you prioritize.  This is the reason "the group" urged you to travel to hear different stuff to sort out where you fall.  It may be the Definitions are truly the best choice for you, yet from where you stand now you wouldn't know it.

For the money you'd lose in resale, you might consider trying a TacT preamp.  I have one in my rig and it does really let you tune the sound.  Even if you choose to move on to other speakers, you may decide the TacT is a necessary part of your system.  George has one for his Salks and he'd rather lose a pinky than give it up.

If you have the Def. Pro's, it also will let you choose the XO frequency between the main drivers and the sub array.  I usually go to 100 hz for bombastic fare, down to 40 hz for simpler sounds.  The Yamamoto can be made comfortable playing loud techno music just by raising the XO frequency a bit.

Whatever you do, don't be rash.  Realize that what you have is pretty good in any event.  My maxim is "the best time to look for a job is when you have one".  You've got a good job now.  If you can get a better one, more power to you.  Just don't quit hoping something better might come along.

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:38 pm »
i have the regular Def's.your right about the guitars on older rock,it does get these speakers doing back flips.but,throw on some old remastered  Rod Stewart and he is in the room with you, no question!!!! Queensryche 'silent lucidity' can blow your socks off,make you tear up if your that kind of person?? you got me thinkin' on the pros now.thks  Pat :D :) :D

miklorsmith

« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:57 pm »
Bear in mind, the Pro's are a little different - they have two sets of binding posts, so two sets of speakers cables and two separate amp circuits are needed.  That means two preamp outputs too.  The bass drivers are different from the standard versions and are capable of much higher output, BUT they also require equalization.  The TacT is my solution, Zu has designed the speakers for a parametric equalizer on the bass array only.  Different strokes.

However, going from the 1.5 to the Pro will not make this a different speaker.  You will gain additional capability in the low bass but it will not transform into something else entirely.  If you really like the Def's and just want a little more oomph, go for it.  If you think their signature may not be yours I would start shopping for something else entirely.

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:05 pm »
gottcha,and thanks for that.i out.i do not want a preamp.right now all i am interested in is the KISS program.source feeding amp.i am interested in trying a top notch SET amp though.see how it stacks up to the little VAC.thks again for the input  :D :) :D