Cornet - electrolytics caps question for Jim

TChung

« on: 29 Dec 2003, 03:09 am »
Hi Jim,

I am in the planning stage of building a Cornet Octal version with CCS.  I read from Angela that many people substitue electrolytics caps with ASC  Polypropylene & Oil caps for less 'mechanical sound'.  I am tempted to try that route plus they are cheaper than the equivalent Elna Cerafines.  These caps are non-polarized and non-directional.  The parts I am referring to are the 47uF C2, C4, & C10 (total 5).  Do you see anything wrong of using these caps in the circuit?

I am not going to change the 10,000uF (C13, C14,....,C16).

Best regards,
TChung

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2003, 07:08 am »
Yes, they should work fine as long as they can handle the voltages.  There is nothing magic about the 47uF value.  It just happened to be handy.  You can use anywhere from 20uF to 100uF in these locations.

jh :)

Tone Deaf

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2003, 09:56 am »
Does the choice of electrolytic caps really make any difference to performance?  eg, Sanyo Oscons seem to be first choice in heater power supplies.  

So far I've convinced myself that it doesn't make any difference.  But it's xmas hols, & I'm bored, & I could do with a project...

TChung

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2003, 01:16 pm »
Jim,

Thank you for such quick response to a yet potential customer.  What great support!  I will go ahead with these caps.

Have a prosperous New Year.

Tom