NHT Super Zero version 2.1 at Amazon for $61.45 ea

RDavidson

Re: NHT Super Zero version 2.1 at Amazon for $61.45 ea
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:14 pm »
I have had similar thoughts. Yeah, you'd likely run into cancellation (comb filtering?) problems. Maybe if you only stacked a pair with their tweeters close to each other, the mid-range drivers might be far away enough from eachother to avoid some issues? Something else to try would be facing one pair toward the ceiling or even at the back wall, just to see what would happen. Always fun to experiment. Curiosity is a good thing.

rlal

« Reply #21 on: 12 Sep 2018, 07:37 pm »
Yes, they'll work great as surrounds, assuming you'll cross them over around 80-100hz. Yes, they have binding posts. These are listed at $150 ea and typically sell for $125 ea. They're cheap and cheerful, not junk. Google is your friend. Read the reviews of the originals as well as the reviews of these updated speakers.
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/10654-superzero-2-1-our-amazing-mini-monitor

Thank you sir for your reply. I will do some search and will go ahead with that.
Thanks once again.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #22 on: 12 Sep 2018, 09:25 pm »
I have had similar thoughts. Yeah, you'd likely run into cancellation (comb filtering?) problems. Maybe if you only stacked a pair with their tweeters close to each other, the mid-range drivers might be far away enough from eachother to avoid some issues? Something else to try would be facing one pair toward the ceiling or even at the back wall, just to see what would happen. Always fun to experiment. Curiosity is a good thing.

I suppose the other thing to try would be to remove the tweeter from all but one or two of the speakers. At $120.00 a pair times 4 pair you'd be at $500.00 for a small tower that would probably sound pretty darn good compared to other offerings at that price point. Who knows, it's fun to think about anyway.

apstoltz

« Reply #24 on: 1 Nov 2018, 01:28 pm »
very tempted to get these with a sub for the bedroom.

RDavidson

« Reply #25 on: 1 Nov 2018, 02:15 pm »
very tempted to get these with a sub for the bedroom.

Yeah. Mate these with the small, sealed, SVS subwoofer or something similar that has a flat bass response out to ~120hz, and you've got an excellent little setup for not a lot of $.

apstoltz

« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2018, 09:33 pm »
Any feedback on these little guys from recent owners. Curious to see how they stack up against rsl cg3.

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2018, 10:07 pm »
Any feedback on these little guys from recent owners. Curious to see how they stack up against rsl cg3.

Keep in mind Super Zeros have been around since 1995. IIRC they are just a 'cap and coil' speaker. Maybe not even that. IOW, just about ANY speaker in this price range nowadays will be as good or better. A lot has happened in 23 years...

Not familiar with RSL, but a cursory glance at the CG3 reveals it's probably a lot better than the SZ.

Another contender would be the Dayton MK402:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402-4-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-455

EDIT: In retrospect my statement is a bit harsh. I see they have done some updating with a newer woofer. The 2nd order crossover did make for a more 'spacious', open quality when I briefly owned them (about 10yrs ago). I just did not find them that resolving, perhaps due to the pretty wide BBC dip from 2k all the way to 6k.

The nice thing about these is that thanks to the sealed design - if you crossover to them very high, like 150hz and up, you've basically got yourself an affordable 3-way speaker.