Good budget DAC?

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
Good budget DAC?
« on: 8 May 2018, 06:53 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good DAC under at least 150? This also includes if anyone has one they are wanting to sell and for how much. Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Good budget DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2018, 11:20 am »
With the rate technology is advancing I'd avoid used DAC's unless there is a particular feature set you're after.

New DAC's in your price range:  $149 Schiit Modi 2 Uber (USB, coax, optical inputs); $100 Dragonfly Black v. 1.5 (thumb drive size, USB only).  Neither does DSD.

As always, if you can push your budget a bit ($50-100) there are lots more options.

« Last Edit: 9 May 2018, 12:44 pm by JLM »

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2018, 03:17 pm »
What kind of DAC?
USB?
SPDIF?
I2S? (unlikely choice, but an option)

In other words, what is the source for the DAC?  A PC, CD player, or something else?

Randy

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2018, 06:36 pm »
+1 on the Modi 2 Uber (or even regular Modi 2 if you need USB only).
JLM is right; a little more money will buy you a lot more DAC in the form of the Modi Multibit. Had a Modi and it was quite respectable.
I'm running USB only so I'm not aware of the other candidates out there but I'm sure you'll get suggestions. We love to help people spend money on audio.

Brettio

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2018, 07:01 pm »
In other words, what is the source for the DAC?  A PC, CD player, or something else?
Hoping the OP says CD player as I'm (mostly) interested in that answer... :D

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2018, 10:48 pm »
What kind of DAC?
USB?
SPDIF?
I2S? (unlikely choice, but an option)

Randy

PC

jmc207

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2018, 11:13 pm »
PC

What's the operating system on the PC? If Windows 10, Mac, or Linux you'd be good to go with most DACs without having to load an driver. Windows 8 and 7 will probably require a driver for DACs that support higher resolutions.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2018, 02:54 am »
The Audioquest Dragon Fly Black with the Audioquest Jitter Bug.  The Jitterbug really improves the sound of the Dragon Fly and some other dac's.  If you can swing the extra money, the DF Red is better.  So is the Emotiva Big Ego which has a nice very dynamic, musical, warmer sound.  The AQ Jitterbug takes the Big Ego to another level of refinement.

envydd

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2018, 03:04 am »
SABAJ DA3 ....

zek

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2018, 10:47 pm »
Topping D10. :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2018, 12:06 am »
$149 Schiit Modi 2 Uber (USB, coax, optical inputs)...

Alex

Mortsnets

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2018, 01:20 am »
I really like my iFi Audio Nano iDSD LE which is in your price range.

In the super cheap category the Signstek DAC sounds pretty good!

ohenry

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2018, 01:49 am »
Another vote for the Topping D10.  It was plug and play with my little Chromebook and sounds very good.  Upgrading the supplied USB cord with one from DH Labs helped in my situation. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2018, 12:51 pm »
I've really enjoyed the Topping D30 which does DSD. I got mine for $99 on massdrop. Nice looks, high build quality and good reviews.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d30-dac-measurement-and-review.2016/

geowak

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2018, 01:38 pm »
Meridian Explorer 2. A little over budget, but you can explore MQA on Tidal which some people really like.

Soupial

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2018, 07:21 pm »
I have to agree with a previous user about schiit modi. It is a fantastic value. You'll be hard pressed to find anything at that price for that sound quality.