Vandersteen and Devialet, a possibility and good match?

apichetk

Hi there - I have Devialet 800 and wonder if anyone knows if it works well with the Vandy powered sub models (e.g. Model 5a carbon, Quattro Wood CT)?  What does the 5a do better than the Quattro Wood CT and what does the 5a do worse than the Seven Mk II?  I mostly listen to vocals, orchestra, violin, piano and from time to time pop.  Thanks a lot, everyone. 

Gbob

Re: Vandersteen and Devialet, a possibility and good match?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2017, 01:11 pm »
I have never heard the Devialet, but think they should work fine-Especially with 800 wpc.
Vandy's aren't hard to drive, but a good power source really helps.
Also, remember you are adding a crossover so your amp isn't required to do the heavy lifting for low frequencies-the integrated sub handles that.
You can always call Mr. V. and get his opinion.
As you move up the line, Vandy's become more transparent and better articulated than the previous model. You really have to go listen for yourself.
Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2017, 04:02 pm »
Hi there - I have Devialet 800 and wonder if anyone knows if it works well with the Vandy powered sub models (e.g. Model 5a carbon, Quattro Wood CT)?  What does the 5a do better than the Quattro Wood CT and what does the 5a do worse than the Seven Mk II?  I mostly listen to vocals, orchestra, violin, piano and from time to time pop.  Thanks a lot, everyone.

I think this is an integrated amp?

If so, I am not sure how you would use the external high pass filters that go between the preamp outputs and the amp inputs.

George

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2017, 07:13 pm »
I think this is an integrated amp?

If so, I am not sure how you would use the external high pass filters that go between the preamp outputs and the amp inputs.

George

It is so the only way to use it with the Vandersteen speakers with built in subs is to have the amp modified and have the high pass filters built into the amp.  I would avoid integrated amps for that reason unless you plan on keeping everything for a very long time.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2017, 10:58 pm »
The Devialet's have built in high and low pass crossover capabilities so it will work with Vandersteen powered models.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/devialet-subwoofer-crossover/

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2017, 11:20 pm »
That is a nice feature.  Does that mean that the signal for both the mains and subs are passed into the digital domain in order to do this?

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm »
I would suspect so.  Don't have any idea how it would actually sound just that it is possible and like with the Atlas amps lets you skip the Vandie HP filters.