Anyone using McCormack or Bryston with their SWL/SWLP?

mtodde

I'm looking for feedback from anyone using McCormack or Bryston amp with their Modwright pre.  For the last few months I've been making do with a Parasound HCA-1500 and am looking to move up.

I'm interested in the Bryston 4B-ST and the McCormack DNA-125 or DNA 0.5/1 Deluxe models.  My speakers are Paradigm Signature 4 v.1s which are a fairly easy load to drive.  I'm a little concerned that these may have a bit too much gain on CD/SACD playback with the 15 db of gain my SWLP has.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I may consider a hybrid like the Blue Circle BC-24 too.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Anyone using McCormack or Bryston with their SWL/SWLP?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm »
I used a McCormack DNA-500 (gain of 29 I think) with my SWL and it was very nice.  I went to the 36.5 pre shortly after going McCormack so i don't have a long history with that combo but it was very good.

MrBrix

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2009, 08:07 pm »
I used the DNA 500 with the SWL 9.0 for a long time and it was a very nice combo. At the time I was using Mirage speakers.  I have since moved on to the LS 36.5 pre with the DNA 500 and now using the Vandersteen 5A speakers.  Very nice combo as well.  The LS 36.5 DM ofcourse is in a different league to the SWl 9.0.

However, I am waiting for the Modwright KWA 150 amp to get here in a day or so  :drool:.  I will see if it will knock off my DNA 500. 

mtodde

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2009, 08:32 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on McCormack.  One of the things I like is the possibility of sending it to SMC Audio for modifications down the road. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2009, 08:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on McCormack.  One of the things I like is the possibility of sending it to SMC Audio for modifications down the road. 

Absolutely.  Both the DNA models you are looking at are great candidates for Steve's upgrade/mod work.

Lancelot

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2009, 09:10 pm »
I have no experience with McCormack but have heard almost all positive opinions.

My point in responding would be to suggest, if you go the Bryston route, to consider a used 3B SST ( I really don't think you would need a 4 B SST ).

After considerable experience with both the ST and SST series, it is my opinion( and I believe  an almost universally held one ) that the SST series is a smoother, more refined, version. IMO, definitely worth the extra cost.

Also the Bryston offers the option ( a switch on the back ) of changing its input sensitivity between 1 or 2 volts so as to better match other components- a very nice feature.

rydenfan

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2009, 09:47 pm »
Now there is the SST squared versions  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2009, 09:53 pm »
I think both of these amp companies have a loyal following and have garnered lots of press on their virtues. But they do sound different. More unlike each other than similar, to my ears. There seems to be a pretty divided audience between those who like McCormack and those who like Bryston, and not a lot who say they like both.

You should definitely give a listen to each to see which camp you may fall into.

Bob

mtodde

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2009, 02:14 am »
I think both of these amp companies have a loyal following and have garnered lots of press on their virtues. But they do sound different. More unlike each other than similar, to my ears. There seems to be a pretty divided audience between those who like McCormack and those who like Bryston, and not a lot who say they like both.

You should definitely give a listen to each to see which camp you may fall into.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  You make a good point.  I've heard the McCormack gear several times and have really like the sound; I think it would be closer to my taste.  I've only heard Bryston once and in the system it was in it sounded spectacular but that system was nothing like mine. 

I had great results with an ARC VT-100 but I sold it to spend money on another hobby and really don't want a tube amp at this time.

mtodde

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:32 pm »
I pulled the trigger on a used McCormack DNA-125 yesterday and it should be here early next week.  I'll play with it for a week or two before making a decision but more than likely I will be purchasing a pair of Rothwell in-line attenuators to use on my CD input on the SWLP to compensate for the high output of my SA-11S1. 

Thanks to everyone that provided input.  I will post my impressions in a few weeks.